“Not bad for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 41 hotels in Larnaka
Woking, United Kingdom
“Not bad for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

As my title says, the hotel was not too bad. I only paid £23 a night so had no real expectations. The room was basic but clean. It was right on the beach and the walk into the centre of Larnaca took me around 30/40 minutes, although it was pretty flat and straight so nothing too strenuous.

They offered a shuttle to the airport which was convenient which cost €15. As others had mentioned they do charge for wifi - €5 for a day - not 24 hours.

Breakfast was much like the hotel - basic but did the job. It was a little busy but I could find a seat.

Also as another reviewer mentioned there was a party until 2am one night (maybe we were there at the same time?) which despite being on one of the top floors was pretty loud.

I had no issues with the service throughout my stay - the staff were very friendly upon check in and check out.

Location was very good for the airport though - I was in my room within 30 minutes of landing.

If I was to return to Larnaca I would consider staying here again, providing the price wasn't too much.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brest, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Really bad hotel. Indeed, it it near the beach, but a little bit far from the city center.
The room is not that clean, smells cigarette, the service is bad, you must pay to have internet access...

You allways have the impression that the room door is open as you here every single noise on the lobby.

There was a party last night in the hotel, one floor unedrneath, ... with no possiblity to sleep until the end .... at 2h am !!! I might have joined the party but it was just too bad !!
So, one advice, go and see elsewhere as the pics on the web site are really really not representative of the rooms !!

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Greater london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were given this hotel by our travel company as the one we had booked was not open! I was a bit wary having read some of the reviews but I needn't have worried. The location is good, right opposite the beach and about a 25 minute walk into the centre of town. They are doing a lot of roadworks around this part of town so the walk is probably more difficult at the moment, as you have to walk over rubble etc. However, this should be only a temporary problem as they are widening the road ready for next season.
We had a one bedroom apartment which was quite spacious, although no sofa in the living room, just a table and chairs. There was a flat screen tv showing quite a few satellite channels. The kitchen area had a kettle and toaster when we arrived, but nothing else, not even plates or cutlery! However, when we asked at reception they were very charming and said that they would provide us with what we asked for and a microwave. There are no cooking facilities so you cannot truly self cater, but it's amazing what you can cook in a microwave!!! Breakfast was included which for us was an unexpected bonus and although a bit repetitive offered a good choice of hot and cold food.
Wifi is chargeable, but again, our travel company had told us that it was free. When I showed my email to the manager, he agreed to give us the voucher without charge and there was no hassle.
Altogether we thought that this was a very nice hotel for the price and would gladly stay there again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Larnaca, Larnaca, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Having arrived at the hotel just after 3pm - a little bit late for their Sunday lunch ending at 3pm - we were greated by a young waiter who - seeing out disapointment offered to make 2 plates up for us...............what a suprise at the feast set before us!

The variety of meats, vegetables, trimmings (all cooked to perfection) and condiments choice was phenominal - the food well presented on the plate and the service second to none. Albeit we missed out on sharing this dining exerience in amongst other diners, we were afforded the time to enjoy our 2 x course meal and coffee having tasteful seasonal background music playing throughout.

Disappointed that we had just missed thanking the young waiter in person for his excellent service and attention to detail - we have booked our table for a fortnights time and hope to get to thank himin person then!.

Highly recommended :-)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lodz, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

As our flight was cancelled, the hotel was booked by airlines, stayed there 2 nights. The rooms were clean, but not the newest. Some parts of the hotel have been probably renovated lately. The breakfast was too basic for 3* hotel, other meals were ok, just ok. Good location with the beach in front of it and a great one if you like observing planes - a bit disturbing during the night if you don't like it.
I don't know about the prices, but these stated on the door were definitely too high.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuopio, Eastern Finland, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My voucher said that the wifi is free of charge. As I arrived to hotel, I was told that the wifi costs 35 €. When I was surprised and showed my voucher, the receptionist was very rude. No apologize or even sorry, but rude "Wifi costs 35 €, take it or leave it!" Then she turned her back on me and went away. I was shocked by the rudeness and asked to see the manager. I was left waiting for a long time and when the manager came, he said that I had paid my room fee in advance so take it or leave it, I should pay for wifi or be without. I asked why the brochure said the wifi is included in the price and then the manager told that the hotel is not responsible for the text on the brochure and they have no need to explain anything. Then he walked away and left me standing there.

I had no choice but to go to my room but felt humiliated. I was not even told where my room was or anything on the hotel, just left there standing. I think I have never been treated this rude ever in my travels before.

I had a half board, but was disappointed of the food. In the morning there was always the same menu: 1 type of white toast, cereals, cheese, ham, watered orange juice and coffee/tee. Some sausages and eggs. Dinner was also every time the same: over grilled very dry chicken with no spice, not even salt. No sauce. Over cooked pork without spice and without sauce. Some cooked vegetables without sauce. Potato salad, mayonnaise salad and green salad. Fruit slices. The dinner was dry and tasteless and not so easy to swallow dry stuff without sauce :(

The room was actually an apartment but did not have a couch or kitchen. Only an empty living room with 4 plastic chairs and plastic table. The bedroom had a bed and table. Very basic but ok.

I bought the wifi, but it was very slow. Sometimes so slow, you could not use it at all.

Only good thing about the hotel was actually the beach in front of it. I would not recommend this hotel at all, not for the rooms, definitively not for the food and most of all not for the service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed at this place in August. It was a bit of a shocker and our lovely room booked via Expedia was a bit of a dump. How the hotel passes as 3 star is an utter mystery. It is really a 2 star accommodation with a 3 star reception and bar area. And they are absolutely not 'Executive apartments' per the Expedia blurb.

As for the room, specific things were stated to be included on the Expedia site but they were simply not there: No cooking facilities, no microwave, no crockery or cutlery. All that existed in the 'living area' was a kitchen unit - with empty draws, a sink, a fridge and a kettle. I had to request a few bits of crockery but was told that this was not normal. The living area had a wobbly white plastic table and four chairs, a TV and no sofa to at least make it feel remotely comfortable. The hotel pool was on the roof and the area around it not very clean. Overall, the hotel rooms needed completely refurbishing- the wardrobes in our 'suite' were circa 1970 with draws missing and a little musty and the stair well had electrical fittings which needed cover/repair. The 'executive apartments' were serviced by one tiny lift used by both guests and staff and was often unavailable when staff were carrying linen up to rooms.

Also, the picture of the kitchenette area as advertised on Expedia shows a modern - almost brand new - white set of units and gleaming top. Compare this to the kitchen area we got, which was older brown wood. I sent Expedia a picture of the kitchenette that we had versus the picture on the Expedia site but this has been ignored.

The complimentary breakfast was utterly horrible. The tea and coffee were un-drinkable, the 'orange juice' just cold water with something in it to make it look vaguely orange in colour but tasting nothing like orange, the bread stale, the yoghurt made of something we did not recognise and the cooked food looked inedible. The breakfast dining area was not very clean and we ate nothing.

Worst of all was the position of the lovely room allocated to us as lucky Expedia customers. Facing on to the main road on which the hotel stands across from the beach and which is the thoroughfare for noisy traffic - particularly lorries and mopeds - all through the night. We reckon our kids had 4 hours sleep and us 2 as a consequence. There is no mention of this on the Expedia web site.

Overall an absolutely dire hotel and stay. The staff, however, were overall helpful and polite - 2 in particular were excellent at the reception.

I would never stay there again and the price should have been more like GBP 60 for the quality of the room/hotel and its amenities/location versus how it was and continues to be advertised on Expedia. All Expedia has advised is that it has passed on my comments to the hotel, but the reality is that nothing has changed in the way that the place continues to be advertised on Expedia.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Flamingo Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!