“Unprofessional” 1 of 5 stars

London
“Unprofessional”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Hello all,
I am writing this review because I do not want anyone else to gain the same treatment as I did from this hotel. I booked my reservation with booking.com (who were great and did the best they could for me). I went to check in at 1400hrs on Sunday to find that the reception was closed. I waited 20 minutes and no one showed. I found a cleaner and asked her if she could find someone for me so I could check in. She called someone so I waited another 15 minutes. No one showed up so I find a number on their door a mobile and called it from my UK mobile. The owner told me to wait another 25 minutes because the room was not cleaned or ready. Now if he had been civil and polite and appologetic this would not have been a problem. I told him that his check in policy was 1400hrs. He then proceeded to have a go at me. I therefore requested a cancellation. He then told me he would charge me 110 euro for cancellation fee! There was nothing I could do about this, so I rang booking.com who gave me 20euro back as a goodwill gesture, however the manager called me direct (hotel manager) and had another go at me. It is safe to say my fellow travellers, although I can't review the room or hotel as that would not be fair I can review the hotel Manager with one word: Unprofessional. So if you would like to stay at this hotel be prepared for a mouthful off its manager if you do not obey his orders. A very unpleasent conversation. I wouldnt recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Marinos and his staff are to be commended for running such a wonderful hotel in the city of Larnaca. The entire staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. Mary kept the rooms spotless, and Olivia and Irene were always available to answer questions. Located in St. Lazarus Square, the location is perfect for a short walk to the ocean. Many restaurants and pubs nearby. There's a nice communal balcony overlooking the square. You won't be disappointed if you stay there!

• Stayed March 2013
GREECE&CYPRUS
1,752 helpful votes 1,752 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

As I was having a stroll in Larnaca I accidentally fell on this hidden gem. What attracted me was the building itself and I could not help but get inside.
As a Guide Writer and traveller, with hundreds of people following me through the net, I am always happy that I can help with my reviews and tips that I constantly give out.

Alkisti: It is a very small hotel with 8 rooms in all. It is actually a traditional restored, stone built structure with a small reception parking lot, and a tiny little garden at the background.

Rooms: I saw several rooms and they are all nicely decorated, clean, with pleasant colourful fittings and amenities that I could not believe! I liked the fact that the interior is decorated and furnished in a combined manner to preserve the architectural beauty of the building.
Each room has wooden floor, private bathroom, toilet, fridge, air condition, heating, coffee/tea facilities and a satellite TV. Clean towels are provided daily. Double beds are not that big but you can ask for a room with two singles.
Although the large traditional bay windows in each room bring light in, only two of the rooms overlook the square of St. Lazarus. Some rooms don’t have a balcony as well.

Location: Centrally located with a part of it overlooking the Square of St. Lazarus. All main attractions of the city of Larnaca are within walking distance.
The beach and the Palm Tree promenade –Finikoudes, is only a 5 minute walk. Its location is superb for a short stay for sight-seeing, and shopping.
There are banks and shops, café restaurants and bars in very short distance and Larnaca’s fruit and vegetable market as well. All rooms of the hotel are above a real estate agency that the manager of the hotel runs.

Wi Fi: Free internet access in the rooms is provided while in other hotels guests have to pay for it.

Restaurant: It is not actually a restaurant but a place where you can buy some water, a beer probably and some soft drinks. Breakfast is not provided but there is one ‘kafenio’ and a café restaurant that can be of much help not more than 15 metres from the hotel. Of course for a bigger choice there are many more along the promenade of Finikoudes.

I highly recommend Alkisti for independent travellers, for those travelling on a budget and want a clean and descent place to stay. I don’t recommend it to families with children. It is definitely good value for money, courteous staff and very clean.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The hotel is located in the center of Larnaca, about Saint Lazarus Church. Only 8 rooms, very simple furniture. Rooms carefully clean. There is a teapot, stocks of coffee, tea and water fill up. There is an automatic machine for juice and water sale on the first floor. Also There is a small courtyard. On a beach to go literally some minutes. Very good hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Great Yeldham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We had stayed here before a year or so ago and the location and staff helpfulness was great.... well the location is still great!
I had requested the two rooms overlooking the square and received an email confirming this, on arrival the rooms weren't ready but we came back at 2pm to be shown one room at the front and one on the side... I explained we had been promised both rooms and after much discussion and a few phone calls by the manager (who by the way did not speak or even have eye contact with us) we were 'allowed' to have the room we were promised. We went out..... on our return at 9pm we found that all the sockets in our friends room did not work, this meant they couldn't watch the tv, make a cuppa, use the hairdryer, charge their mobile (needed for an alarm call for an early morning flight) or even use the bedside lamps. As there are no staff around after the estate agent down stairs closes, we couldn't let anyone know. In the early morning we all had stone cold showers, needed after sleeping on the plastic mattress protectors! After taking our friends to the airport we came back to check out and let the staff know of the problems. No apology, the receptionist implied we should be happy because they had moved us to the room we were already promised and that some work men must have caused the problems. Not happy I asked for the managers contact details. On our return home 4 days ago I wrote to the manager...... as yet no reply.
As I said ....great location.........

Room Tip: 104 and 105 look out over the square. Double beds are very small, ask for the twins....you can clip...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Beirut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The Good:
Location very close to the Palm Tree Promenade and the Beach even though it is in a much calmer setting. Perfect for ppl looking for entertainement and beach, but prefering a calmer ambiance at night. Definitely Good Value For Money, if you're looking for a place to stay with good facilities in your room. If you're looking for room service, or other services provided by the hotel, then this might not be the hotel for you as it is more of a self service place than of a hotel.

The Not So Good:
There is no reception at the hotel some days. That's not a problem if you don't mind self service, as they will guide you on how to check-in to your room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Frederiksberg, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

When I booked I made sure to state that I would be arriving late as I was off tourist season. Very shortly thereafter I received a lot of communication from the hosts telling me how to find the hotel and where to retrieve the key as the reception was closed at my arrival. The must funny part was that the key would be hidden in a ventilator shaft on the outside wall of the hotel.

I arrived in Larnaca around 9.30 pm and even with the description from the hosts I still had some difficulties finding the hotel but with some help from the locals I made it. Then there was the issue about the key. I found the ventilation shaft but when I opened it there was no key with my name on it.

There were some other keys with names on but not mine. While I was standing there trying to figure out what to do, taking one the others keys, calling the hosts the door, suddenly opened and out came a woman. I asked her about the key and it turned out she was the owner and she had borrowed my key to get in to the house. She was very sorry but it all turned out well.

My room was quite far from the room I had in Valetta, Malta, as it was more of a summer holiday place. The colors were bright and colorful and the condition of the room was sparser but everything worked and I found my bed quite nice even though it was quite narrow. I quickly left my room and headed for the restaurant next door to get something to eat before they closed. The city was quite empty and I was the only customer in the restaurant to begin with and there only arrived a couple besides me during my stay.

Next morning I woke up to a magnificent sunshine and taking the curtains away gave me a nice view of the large square and the breakfast restaurants next door. They didn’t serve breakfast at the hotel but they had an arrangement with one of the restaurants on the square. The view from the balconies around the house displayed some nice views and also a nice quiet backyard of the hotel.

The owner were also running a real estate dealer and they were at work there so I could pay for my room. They were really sweet and friendly, giving all kind of advices about the sites of the city. The location of the hotel was great; it was close to one of the major attractions of the city – the picturesque St Lazarus Church and very close to the beach. There are also loads of shops, bars and restaurants close by and it would be quite perfect for a beach vacation. The hotel also had free parking close by.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Alkisti City Hotel? Share your experiences!