“A little out of the way - But a Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

The Ship Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Karaoglanoglu Street | Mersin 10, Kyrenia, Cyprus   |
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Kyrenia
Manchester, UK
“A little out of the way - But a Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We've just returned from two weeks at the ship inn, Kyrenia, north cyprus.
After visting the south regularly We wanted to see what the north of Cyprus had to offer as we're considering retiring to Cyprus in the next few years.
This hotel didn't disappoint despite the name and pictures on the net ( we half expected a pub type location)
The hotel has a number of hotel type rooms along with a few self catering villas as previously stated in other reviews.
We stayed in a hotel room which was nice and clean albeit furnished a little old fashioned - I would recommend staying in a mountain view hotel room, as the sun manages to be on your side of the hotel for the majority of the day, making sitting on the balcony more pleasant, after a hot day by the pool.
The hotel has good facilities, the pool is kept very well maintained with plenty of sunbeds, umbrellas and towels available from the bar ( no charge) there is food and drinks available throughout the day - the hotel also uses a card system so that you don't need to use or carry any money around, this can be settled at the end of each day or as we did, at the end of the holiday.
Whilst the hotel is somewhat out of the way, there are a couple of decent restaurants close by with a supermarket 10 minutes walk away. The fish restaurant up the road is good and the Chinese house nearby also has good food in a nice setting - visit the Cacao' for a different eating experience, on the way into Kyrenia - a very modern place with great service.
Getting into Kyrenia or Girne as the locals call it - is easy by jumping on a dolmas (local bus) only 2turkish lira. Stand at the side of the road and flag one down, they come along every 2 minutes.
If you're going to Take a visit into Nicosia / lefkosa catch the Kobos minibus from Kyrenia town centre - nice and easy and only 5 Turkish lira each way, it's fast, cheap and efficient.
Car hire is easy and cheap, although the minimum hire time is 3 days - in fairness you really wouldn't need much more as you can easily visit the local sites in this time - visit St Hilarion castle & Bellapais monastery for fantastic views, if you want a decent beach go to the Escape beach, about 2 miles up the road - it has brilliant facilities, although its not cheap in comparison to other places - 15 turkish lira each for entry.
This hotel gave us exactly what we were looking for - reasonbly priced, relaxing, clean, and excellent facilities in a hot sunny environment - we would have no qualms in re visiting ' The Ship' although after taking everything into consideration we both preferred the south of Cyprus - as someone said to me 'the north is just like the south, but 15 years behind'

If i had one gripe it was the 90 minute transfer from Larnaca airport - with a late flight, transferring in the dark, Nigel mansell at the wheel , and my back to the driver - it wasn't very pleasant

But overall A truly enjoyable holiday ........

Room Tip: A mountain view room or a Villa if Self Catering
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend for one week based on previous tripadvisor reviews. I have to admit I wasnt expecting much and considered the hotel to be just a cheap base- literally somewhere to sleep whilst exploring north cyprus. As we approached the hotel via transfer I was waiting for that embarrassing sinking feeling of getting off the bus to a complete wreck of a hotel (admittedly I can be quite fussy as well!). The first surprise was that it truly didnt look that bad, then I turned the corner to get to reception and saw all these beautiful flowers and trees- it was very green! After check in we went to get food (the pool bar stays open late for late arrivals- 11pm!). The pool looked really lovely and all the pathways were lit with pretty mood-lighting. There's a garden around the back with several aviaries, water fountains and a huge surprise was the indoor pool with gym and therapy centre! We stayed in a room in one villa by the pool- we were B&B. Everyone keeps talking about how dated it all is, but to be honest, I really didnt notice! Perhaps our room was better? It had everything you needed and was cleaned and tidied everyday- the bed was made everyday and all towels changed. There wasnt any decent toiletries but they did have liquid hand soap and a hairdryer and shaver socket in the bathroom. The plugs were also three-pronged so no need for adapters. There was a TV, fridge and an air-con unit on the wall. We had a small balcony too (which was also swept and mopped daily!). Another huge surprise was how good the shower was (over bath)- powerful and hot. My only complaint was they could have done with a small chest of drawers somewhere- there was a single wardrobe, dressing table, two side tables and a table with tea/coffee/kettle.

With regards to entertainment I would say this hotel provides you with everything to make your own- TV in bar showing sky sports/news, pool bar, pool with outdoor showers and inflatables, the gym and therapy rooms, tennis courts close-by, an AMAZING ice cream parlour five mins walk up the road (turn right out of hotel), sofas inside hotel for evening reading (one end looks like a traditional gentlemans smoking room!)- and the occasional event put on: in our case the 'gypsy brothers' playing guitar and singing over dinner.

Breakfast is a mini feast so long as you can adapt to cyprus food- there are some english touches but no traditional english breakfast- lots of different types of eggs however! On one day we were offered omelettes also- so I presume you can ask for this? Dinner was a bit hit and miss- the food was fairly nice one evening, so we decided to book in for the set meal the next night (and it was very average)- i'd much rather explore and eat elsewhere. I never saw the "excellent" service that others have mentioned- the two occasions we had dinner at the hotel we felt generally ignored, or overlooked (getting food really late, no one asking for drinks, etc). I could see that this really wasnt the same for everyone- and I've seen first hand how hard the staff work there, and when asking questions they are very friendly. This really was our only complaint, but everything else was so amazing and so above what I expected that it wasn't an issue. Also another big note to mention is that the majority of people staying at this hotel are over 50- it didn't bother me, but it might some people.

Here's a few bits of advice about the area:
It really is true they accept nearly every currency- and it is WAY better to get TL out there (you can even do this at hotel reception)- also convert back whilst there if you have anything left over. I lost SO much money doing this at the UK post office and its a bit of a regret, so take my advice.
Supermarket is 10min walk (take a left)- they sell a baguette (just the one flavour) which is amazing, great for taking on day trips etc- really cheap and yummy. The hotel's food is generally expensive, but is on a par to UK prices. You also pass a traditional pottery (brilliant for souvenirs)- and a fish bar... as expensive as hotel. Walk down the other way (right as you come out hotel) towards kyrenia and you will pass a great chinese and spanish restaurant (not open late on sundays)...you also pass an army base, but eventually (10 mins) you reach a good kebab house and then further on the ice cream parlour. Beyond this is mostly retail stores...and then kyrenia town.
Buses pass all the time and will beep when they see you walking. Into kyrenia they will cost 2.50TL (anything more you are being ripped off, but they are allowed to charge up to 3.50TL).
Escape beach is AMAZING!! Costs 15TL, and 3.50TL bus ride.... lovely sandy beach with sunbeds, umbrellas- the food is overpriced there but the ice cream stand is really cheap! They say you cant take your own food/drink in- but you can hide it in your bag. (same goes for the hotel).
I do not recommend visiting the turtle beach AT ALL (alagadi)- total waste of time. They rave on about it- I thought we'd be visiting a place of outstanding natural beauty but the sand was filled with rubbish, it practically broke my heart knowing the turtles had to trek through all that muck! Its also a half hour bus ride from kyrenia (4TL- bus station is right from the main roundabout by the large hotel/casino-where you usually get dropped off). There is a cafe there and the toilets are literal holes in the ground- theres not a lot there. It is also a long walk down a hill from the main road (like something out of a horror film- its that remote!). Our bus also didnt turn up when we'd been told it would, and we stood waiting for an hour before having to return to the beach to sit out waiting for the next one. Luckily some lovely lady offered us a lift back- i'm not sure how much i trust the buses to that stretch of coast!
The tourist information is located by the marina in kyrenia-the harbour is beautiful especially at night- there is a whole stretch of restaurants lit with candles. The castle is also located here. There are lots of shops and good cafes and restaurants- average prices for dinner about 20TL (without drinks) each- but fish cost a lot more. Buses seem to run till late- we caught one at 10.30pm.
Reps usually put on lots of tours, but these might be cheaper if you book them yourself- there are SO many boat trips available just visit the marina.

All in all its a very relaxing place- I think it would have been good to stay longer as there is so much to see in the area. It was still blissfully hot even as we left (3rd october). I never heard any noise from the road but our room was set back.... only noise we heard was the cockerel! Its a very pretty place, with a lovely non-chlorinated pool. I wish the food were better, or cheaper and I doubt i'd have rarely left! Also, I really like the card system they had at the hotel- you paid for everything on a card so you need not carry cash around with you- then you paid when checking out.

Its definitely beyond what you expect and a 100% recommendation from me!

Room Tip: top floors have best view, and rooms at the back I presume are quieter because they're further f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Booked this holiday directly with the owners. They were also kind enough to book our flights and the hotel taxi picked us up at Larnaca and took us to The Ship.
So many of the clientele return year after year and we can see why.
We had a very relaxing holiday, the hotel staff were all amazing, extremely courteous and smiled continuously, nothing was too much trouble for them. The rooms were cleaned to perfection and the food in the restaurant and bar were always well presented and good sized portions.
Enjoyed it so much we're hoping to return again this year!

• Stayed August 2012
West Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at The Ship Inn and have had a very enjoyable stay.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa which was right by the pool. The fixtures and fittings left a lot to be desired, and could do with a bit of modernisation, but did the job. The shower didn't have the greatest water pressure and the fridge wasn't the coldest but neither was worth complaining about.

The outdoor area is lovely, with gardens, an aviary and few stray chickens and cats.....! The pool is great and is well maintained.

There are a couple of restaurants within walking distance, a chinese where the food is delicious but the prices a bit on the high-side. The Lemar supermarket is within walking distance but if you have a car Tempo has a better selection and does a gorgeous rotisserie chicken.

Although The Ship Inn is on the main road in Kytenia, the noise is hardly noticeable and you get used to the cockerels...!!!!

All in all a lovely hotel, great location and friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Kharkov
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I was planning to stay with my wife and a son of 8 years in a Kyrenia hotel for some 2-3 weeks and first made my choice on a beachfront property only. Incidentally, when I drove to see one of the hotels of my choice, the road to Lapta was closed and I had to turn by the Ship Inn. My friends who were with me told me to have a quick look at the property over a glass of beer in the pool bar.
Once in I really liked the place because it did not look like it looked from outside when you are just passing buy.
Inside it was a really nice and well kept territory with a number of small bungalow type two storey houses main building and a new wing building and six self catering villas. There were surprisingly many olives and palm trees inside, just round the pool and quite a bit from outside.
I immediately went to see the villas and in a minute made my decision to stay there. The self-catering villas had ABSOLUTELY all the kitchen staff and equipment one will need to make a home style cooking. So I made a reservation and finally stayed in the hotel for nearly the whole of June and a bit of early August.
The self catering villas, which are six in all are two-storey bungalows built within one block but adequate privacy. They face swimming pool from the main entrance where there is a large terrace to have a table and have a lunch for three persons. The villas are 3 - 4 meters from the pool. The back door faces a nice and large citrus and olive trees garden.
The ground floor has a large hall and a kitchen area with electric cooker, toaster, fridge, kettle, microwave and all the wine and beer glasses and plates cups - virtually ALL the staff one will need for minimum 4 persons.
There is a small TV with several local and couple of international channels, a sofa and two armchairs a standard dining table with chairs + one plastic table with plastic chairs for the terrace a fan on the ceiling which was just enough to make a lovely breeze without turning aircon on. The terraces had quite a bit of shadow to enjoy your lunch there in the open or have a drink. There is a separate toilet on the ground floor.
Upper floor has two bedrooms one with double bed and another with two single beds. Both have aircons, functioning quiet and efficient. A toilet and a shower cabin on the upper floor.
"Master bedrooms" in the self-catering villas face lovely garden.
Pool is just adequate size of some 18 m long with a detached area fro kids. Very clean and surprisingly not much chlorinated actually I never felt any chlorine. Quite lot of swimming staff for kids and grown ups. You can swim ANY time day in night which was very convenient after a hot day out.
Nice pool bar with good variety of a pool bar sort of snacks. Bar opens at about 11-00 and closes at 17-00. No loud music.
A very quite place as the main road is a bit a side, in the morning you are woken up by the sounds of birds singing and chicken - just like in a country house.
Very nice for kids as the territory is well fenced. No problems with sunbeds and umbrellas and towels.
The self-catering villas are perfect choice for the families with up to two kids.

There are also one-room bungalows - a very small terrace on the ground floor and a small balcony on the upper floor. Still very comfy (I stayed there as well) with a fridge and a bath tub.

There are also hotel rooms in the main building and a new wing building.
The hotel actually needs no advertising as people do come here several times.

Wi-fi is in the lobby, near the pool bar and if lucky you can pick it up from the balconies. Signal is quite strong and allowed to watch TV online.

Nearest supermarket is 10 mins walking distance, there is a fish restaurant just 2 mins walking distance where you can have a nice fish menu. You may have e decent meal in the hotel restaurant as well.

Another nearby restaurant is VERANDAH - some 2 - 3 mins drive - you sit just by the sea side and enjoy lovely sea view and a fresh breeze. Very nice sunsets. Dinner reservation will be required for a "sunset time".

A one time recommendation could be to visit Belapais Monastery, some 20-25 mins drive, they have a Tree of Idleness Restaurant there with a nice set up menu with lots of starters and choice of main dish. Good thing that they will arrange a free pick up and return which is a good values actually. Hotel reception will arrange you booking.

All the staff is very friendly.

Hotel is mainly focused of British people is is Ok since they always return here. Mainly people over 55 stay in this hotel - this is why hotel strictly follows a "quietness policy".

Only disadvantage was a bit basic breakfast, no natural juices and choice of vegetables a bit "rationed".

There is a tennis court and a table to play pool near the bar.

There is no beach and you will have to look for one nearby - either paid about 10 turkish liras per person or drive to a free place which is as a rule quite dirty with all the garbage like plastic bags, tins, packages, bottles etc. Never cleaned, but the water surprisingly clean and of course warm.

Lovely famous beaches are some 1- 1,5 hours drive away. But they are worth being there.

All the good reviews of this hotel are TRUE.

Hillarion Castle is only 15 - 20 mins drive from the hotel.

Room cleaning is not immaculate but just enough as the territory itself is very clean, no sand, no dust, the towels are changed regularly.

This hotel was a pleasant discovery for me. Value for money is excellent - especially for the families with kids.

My 7 y.o. son liked it very much and was never bored - there were plenty of lizards, birds in the cages, chicken in the gardens, fish in the small kind of basin, cats etc.

It will definitely be boring for young people, for teenagers as there are no water sledges etc.

I moved out of Ship Inn end of June to stay in a beach front hotel but after two days stay there we cancelled and returned to Ship Inn in July and stayed there another week or so.

I add two photos - one from the main entrance facing swimming pool and another from the back door to the garden.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms are a bit hot because of the roof. All the self-catering villas are much the same...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

If you are looking for noise, night-life or single men, forget it! The Ship Inn is a perfect haven for rest, recuperation and relaxation.Wonderful gardens, plants galore, birds in aviaries, a few stray chickens and cats. The outdoor pool is amazing; very clean and a supply of floating devices for awful swimmers like myself. My friend and I shared a good sized twin room; air conditioning, fridge, TV and kettle/tea and coffee making facilities. The beds were very comfortable and the shower and bath never ran out of hot water. We had a lovely view of St Hilarion Castle; even better at night when it is all lit up. It is not that far from Kyrenia itself, buses galore or a cheap taxi is easy to order. There is a local supermarket if you wish to self cater and there is a very handy alcohol and tobacco shop just opposite the hotel. The hotel's own restaurant is very good; a varied menu and beautifully cooked and presented food. Good service and quite reasonably priced. There is also a Chinese restaurant just down the road. It is a little on the pricey side, but the food was delicious and plentiful. The best part was the setting;

Room Tip: We had a room round the back, facing the mountains; this was very quiet and only up one flight of st...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Wednesfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We've just returned from our fourth holiday at The Ship Inn in five years. We ask ourselves, why do we keep going back? Answer: simple, it provides us with a good quality relaxing holiday where we get good service and its value for money. We are able to relax, unwind and enjoy ourselves. The weather is pretty well guaranteed, the pool is clean and there is ready access to a dink and a snack. We go bed and breakfast. There are loads of good quality restaurants in the district around Kyrenia and we like to sample the local cuisine. There are boat trips along the coast from Kyrenia harbour both during the day and evening. Usually, once a week the Ship Inn put on a pool side meal with local entertainment and the management and staff can't do enough to help. The downside? The journey: being in the north of Cyprus the choice is either a direct flight from Britain to an airport in the south witha transfer by road of around 90 minutes, or a flight to Ercan Airport in the Turkish Sector of the island. That means a shorter airport transfer but the flight will have to touch down in Turkey en route. It takes about the same length of time whichever way. Why isn't the rating excellent? The rooms are getting a little tired and are in need of an upgrade and this year, they've taken on some new staff who aren't yet as sharp as we've come to expect. Another year, I want to go in May/June. The weather will still be hot but there will be longer days to enjoy the views from the various restaurants.

Room Tip: We go for a Garden Room in one of the buildings that surround the pool. They come with a balcony to...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ship Inn? Share your experiences!