“The best vacation ever” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kervansaray Mevkii Karaoglanoglu, Kyrenia, Cyprus   |
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Kyrenia
“The best vacation ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I have to say just this,that this was the best holiday ever in this hotel for me and my boyfriend.everything was so beautiful and nice.the beach is verry beautiful, the service is very good,and the food,the room, the spa,fitness, everything was the best for us.it was so nice,that we are going back next year.i hope it will be like this year.

• Stayed September 2013
MeritParkHotel, Manager at Merit Park Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Valuable Guest,

First of all we would like to thank your for choosing the Merit Park Hotel; we will be pleased to welcome you here in the near future.

Thank you very much for your review, our guests’ opinions are very important for us.

The positive and encouraging comments you have shared will help us improve our service quality.

Please remember to let us know the dates you will be visiting us again. As our returning guests, we do not want to miss out on the oppurtunity of offering you certain privileges.

Merit Park Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have to say from the beginning that I liked and enjoyed everything in this hotel! Everything! I had been there when it was called Mercure, and i could see how much it had improved!
The vew is breath taking and if you get a room overlooking the sea, you will also enjoy stunning sunsets. Surrounded by mountains on one side and the deep blue sea on the other, the bay is so romantic! There is a humangous deck on the sea with umbrellas and chaise lounges and a bar right there. There is another area adjacent area layed out with woold where the umbrella stand, and there is also the grass beach - umbrellas and chaise lounges on a grass area, so soft and confi! The service people open up your umbrella every day and bring huge pillows to lie on and oh the hammocks! by 12:00 when it is really hot and after you have devoured a couple of cocktails, ajrons, turkish coffees, teas, there comes a seet girl with a basketfull of frozen white hand towels slightly lemon sented to refresh yourself! Tons of waiters offering all kinds of drinks and refreshments all the time. Two steps away there is the snack restaurant serving hamburgers, pasta, salads, pizza, icecream, drinks, deserts and what not! Too hot? They thought about it! Streams cold sprays of water conme out the sides of the restaurant ceiling. There are three swiming pools, one of them for the kids, so peace and quiet prevails. Kids have their own kindergarten full of various activities all day.
Rooms are a very good size, a standart one, very, very comfortable beds, great view even when you are in bed! Rooms are being kept very clean and the linen are snow-white. restaurant and food was my favorite, besides the beach! Oh, the food! the cheeses were imported from France, Danmark, Turkey, Sweden etc, the most exquisite ones! Only jams for breakfast counted about 15 kinds and add fresh honey combs every day! There were bowls with all kids of nuts fro brakfast like dry walnuts and walnuts in water, dry almonds and almonds in water, and what not! There were three sides of a counter full of so many kinds of breads, let alone the ones freshly baked every single day at the wood oven outside the resturant. fresh fish, beef, and chicen and seafood and veggies and salads and greens and deserts - uh! The deserts - all fantastic! You can go to Kyrenia downtown 4 times a day the van comes at the front door and is free of charge. The van leaves you downtown for about three hours and then you board on where you got off. A tip for the driver would be nice - about 5 TL. Inside bar, called Sherwood Bar serves high tea starting at 12:00 until 5:00. Have your coffee outside on the balconies by Sherwood bar to enjoy privacy and breathtaking sea view. Palm trees surround the area and they accentuate and add to the romantic feeling oh so much! There are three ponies, you know, that kids can ride and have fun with. The A/C in our room was very good. No complaints at all. All service people were very nmice, very polite, very helpful! A phrase or two in Turkish takes you a long way! Already plan to return there for my next vacation! If you need a taxi to and from airport it will cost you 100 TL, don't pay more.

Room Tip: Please tip the driver that takes you downtown Kyrenia. Tell the cleaning lady what time you are out...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Paphos, Cyprus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I see from some of the other comments that I am likely to be out of step with other reviewers, but I will firstly say that I am comparing this 5* Merit Park Hotel with the nearby 5* Merit Crystal Cove Hotel where I have stayed on over 10 occasions. This was our first visit to the recently acquired and refurbished Merit Park (formerly The Mercure).

As a Merit Group customer I have come to expect from their establishments a level of quality that firstly makes me feel at home and secondly ensures that I want to make a return visit. We will not return to the Merit Park. The main reason of this stay was to review the hotel for the purpose of a group booking in 2014. When making the reservation we asked our travel agent, as a returning Merit guest who has taken over 70 rooms at the Crystal Cove over the past 3 years to ask for a Sea View room. On arrival the receptionist informed us that all rooms where the same and asked how long our stay was. When we said 3 nights it guaranteed us a mountain view room, which is what we got, but we actually overlooked a tatty block of flats! Our room was clean and spacious but we noticed almost immediately that the hinges on the bathroom door squeaked and were badly in need of oiling as it would caused a noise if opened during the night. This was reported to reception and when we left nothing had been done about it!
I do not want to labour this review, but the service provided both in the restaurants and snack bars left a lot to be desired and staff training needs to be undertaken without delay. As an indication it is buffet style, self service food and having eaten our starters, during our evening meal, we left our wine and water on the table together with our serviettes and went to get our main course only to find on our return from the buffet that all our drinks and place settings had gone and nobody could explain why! On our first night the restaurant was full, but there was an area roped off just inside the restuarant entrance with about 10 tables already set, which we were not allowed to use and nobody could explain why! We had to stand and wait for a table in what was a shambles of a dining room with loads of tables waiting to be cleared. The food, whilst plentiful, lacks flavour and over three nights some variety would have been good. Additionally, i was lucky enough to be waiting for a food when a new tray of cooked chicken was delivered by a chef; it looked delicious, but having selected this for my meal on return to my table I discovered it was cold! There are 3 outdoor pools, a children's pool, a large multi functional pool and a third pool which had signs clearly stating that is was unsuitable for children under 16. That was ignored by guests who allowed their children to disrupt the area and it was not policed properly by the hotel, the net result that adults who wanted peace and quiet did not get it! A lifeguard did make a small attempt to resolve this but then just wandered away. Believe me there are lots, lots more issues I could highlight, but I make one final point, we used the Casino at 2200 on our first night and I wore very expensive (over £100) mens Ecco Leather flip flops. We went into the Casino, gambled and left after 1 hour without a problem. The next night, dressed in a similar fashion I was banned from entering. Both the receptionist and a another member of staff stated 'big problem - camera'!! What is that all about? We live in a world where we are now all treated as equals. My wife who was accompanying me, wore Flip Flops value £5 and yet I couldn't wear mine! It does not make sense. There is no dress code in the restuarant and people even in an evening we're having meals in shorts and other beach wear, the standards for a 5* are poor.

I do however have positive things to say. The gardens and pool areas are well kept and the staff that work behind the bar behind the large pool and who wander round serving drinks and food are to be congratulated as they are the hardest working and most customer friendly of all those we encountered. For me I am sorry you only warrant a 3* rating until improvements are made.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valuable Guest,

First of all we would like to thank your for choosing the Merit Park Hotel.

The positive and encouraging, as well as the negative comments you have shared will help us improve our service quality.

As The Merit Park Hotel , 90% of our rooms have sea views. Please be sure that we always do our best to initially provide our guests with a sea view room. During the end of the summer season, the service teams were warned and re-trained with regards to the standards and we beleive that we have achieved the required level in such areas. Unfortunately during busy periods we may have these kind of inconveniences.

We would like to welcome you at the Merit Park Hotel in near future with hopes of a better experience.

Nicosia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was stayed there when it was Mercure and satisfied a lot, however i couldn't find Merit standart this time. The first surprise for me was at the reception. There were no "non-smoking room" application at the hotel. So all rooms are free for smokers. As i am unlucky my room smells badly. Especially staff has a standart in all Merit hotels. Not in Merit Park. Housekeeping is a major problem. You put the "please clean my room" tag on the door about 09:30 and your room cleaned arround 16:00. Some of the towels have holes on them. There are some problems with the pool also, after too much usage pool get blured. ı guess there is a problem with the pumps. Beside these negatives there are some positives for sure. Food was excellent. Tasty and you can find variety. What i like most was the jetty by the sea. Sea was very nice, clean. Unfortunately there are no beach, so that will be a problem for the familes with childeren because it was 3 meters deep at the jetty. Staff of the jetty was very cheerful and helpful.
I heard that hotel will be planing to go in a massive renovation within 2 months. may be they will fix the unpleasant details after this renovation. Untill that reovation, i probably do not visit this hotel again..

Room Tip: Try to catch corner rooms with sea view..
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I don't live too far away from this hotel and have been many times for business and leisure reasons. However after attending a meeting here I decided to stay the night because both my wife and myself had rather too much to drink to drive back. In spite of the haste with which this was arranged there was absolutely no compromise in the level of service. The rooms were spacious and smartly furnished with all rooms having a balcony with table and chairs. I am accustomed to the good food at the hotel having eaten there many times but obviously never for breakfast. The breakfast if anything surpassed the food I normally eat there. The buffet style breakfast varied and plentiful using what was excellent local produce. The service from the waiters was attentive and speedy and nothing appeared to be too much trouble for them. Outside the layout of the poolside and beachside facilities affords plenty of space and the coffee bar adjacent serves some of the best coffees I have ever drunk. I would recommend this hotel to anybody, whether on business or for a hoilday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I have been travelling to Northern Cyprus since 1986 and have stayed in just about every sort of accomodation available in Northern Cyprus. On our latest visit we stayed at The Merit Park - 'All Inclusive'. The exterior belittles what is inside, Externally the hotel looks a little strange, although on reflection, I have decided it is a modern take on Kyrenia Castle. Inside however is palatial and spacious. It has just been refurbished and all the decoration is in excellant condition. As the hotel is on a headland it does not really matter which side of the hotel your room is, as you will more than likely have a sea view. The standard double rooms are good, clean and spacious with air conditioning that works well, but is not too extreme - a must if you are there in the summer season. The restaurant gives guests the choice of eating inside or outside, adjacant to the pool area - the food is a buffet - but what a buffet ! - so much choice - I defy anyone not to find some thing they like - the food is hot and the restaurant is clean with staff always 'hovering' to clean up any mess that a guest may leave. If you want a drink - all you have to do is ask one of the numerous waiters or waitresses.There are four swimming pools at the hotel - three outside, with the largest I reckon, Olympic length. The fourth pool is inside and heated, although we did not use it on this trip. The majority of the guests during our visit were Turkish families (not many Brits there) some with small children, but if you position yourself, to take the sun, away from the childrens pool, you never even know the children are there. The hotel is a 15 minute vehicle journey from central Kyrenia, but the hotel runs a regular, complimentary shuttle bus that is air conditioned - again a must in the summer - and if you want to stay late in Kyrenia, the last shuttle returns to the hotel at 23:30. Without exception, all the staff were courteous, friendly, polite and always ready to help - from the guy on the front door, receptionists, guest services, bar and resatauant staff, the guy who looks after you at the pool and the young ladies who appeared every couple of hours while at the pool to offer you a cold towel - nothing was ever too much trouble and the majority of the staff had a great command of English - useful if your Turkish is like mine and only runs to sying 'Hello, Thank you' and ordering drinks - but if you cannot manage any of those words - there is no need to worry. The 'All Inclusive' is all it says it is - we were there for 7 nights and at the end of our stay there was no additional charges to be paid - what we paid up front is all that it cost us. Remeber though that the 'All Inclusive' is for local drinks - if you want anything 'special' you will have to pay extra for them. If you venture to the Harbour at Kyrenia for a drink, a local beer, Efes, will cost you 7TL and a G&T 12TL - the very same drinks in the hotel are included in the cost. We found the price of the trip excellant value (you get what you pay for) and some hotels in central Krenia were charging more for 7 nights B&B than we paid 'All Inclusive'. This time, as with our last visit, we travelled via Larnaca in Southern Cyprus - the transfer from the airport (included in our package)to the hotel, took just over an hour, incluiding a short stop to cross the border between Greek and Turkish Cyprus. If you visit The Merit Park a must at the end of a hot day at the pool is to sit at the bar of the Pool Bar and enjoy you chosed 'tipple' gazing out at the uninterupted view of the clear, blue Mediterainian. We enjoyed our stay at the Merit Park tremendously - so much so, we have already booked to return on October of this year. I can definitely recommend the Mertit Park, it is without doubt the best hotel we have stayed in yet during the last 27 years of visiting the Turkish Republic of Norther Cyprus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony as some rooms just have windows.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Karaoglanoglu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I like to go to the Mecure each year, as I live only 500 yards away and it is nice to take relatives to the hotel when they visit Cyprus? The food quality is excellent with plenty of choice. The rooms are of a very good decorative order. Lovely pools, beach and nice bars but now under new management and under a new name Merit Cyristal Cove!

Room Tip: Sea View Rooms are the best but you can also have the swimming pool views without being able to see...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Merit Park Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!