“the "Backpackers" of the North” 5 of 5 stars

You added Cyprus Dorms to your Saves list
Cyprus Dorms
6 Bozaklar Sok | Kyrenia Old Habour, Kyrenia, Cyprus   |
Kaposvar, Hungary
“the "Backpackers" of the North”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed here several times during my visits to Girne/Kyrenia so I had a chance to try many different rooms (both hotel rooms and dormitories) - overall very happy with the rooms and the service. Rooms were always clean and tidy and the staff very kind and helpful. The price is the best price you can get in the area. The great thing about this place is that brings together an amazing crowd of very international backpackers and when I say that I mean it in contrast to most Western cities, here you may find about half of your roommates are from ex-soviet countries and Turkey.. Really interesting place, I can really recommend it from my heart!

Room Tip: Wi-Fi available only at and near the reception area.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Turkish first
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I loved this place - our host, Naveed was great! You are staying at the BEST part of Kyrenia if you're a tourist. This hotel really is excellent in every way, close to the harbour and the castle, big room, spotless in every way, but the sugar on top is staff, very friendly & helpful. Good value for money. I would definitely recommend this place.

PS.. Not sure what planet "manitree" is on, people like him should stay away from hostels!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I booked this place because it has good reviews. Usually my experience is consistent with other reviewers' but this time it was totally different in a bad way. Note in the last year I have written 16 good/excellent reviews versus 4 poor/terrible. Reasons why I won't stay here:

1. No person at reception for checkin even though I arrived just after noon. I managed to find a room staff who called the manager . The establishment's policy is not to have someone at reception. This year I have stayed 150 nights in hostels and hotels. Cyprus Dorms is the only place that has this policy. They expect you to make a phone-in checkin.

2. Similarly I wanted to check out in the morning, but had to wait one hour for the manager. I don't "expect to have someone there for your every need 24/7" (the owner's assertion) but not having a person available for checkout is below acceptable standard.

3. I had to wait more than 1 hour before I could shower because the hot water system was not switched on and the manager did not come back to me. When I was about to enter the shower, the manager came asking me to checkin. So I went downstairs and did it (10 minutes). When I undressed and got into the shower again I ran the water for 5 minutes again, NO HOT WATER (another 10 minutes). I changed and went downstairs to tell the manager. He came up, ran the water for a few minutes, took me to another room, ran the water again, still no HOT WATER (another 15 minutes). He said to give him 20 minutes and he would make the hot water work. To be fair he was patient and helpful at this stage. So I wait for 20 minutes but the manager DID NOT come back to me so I went downstairs and found him. He said it is all fixed (I had to look for him.) Another 25 minutes. Finally, I got into the shower (another 5 minutes) and there IS hot water. It is not was very inconvenient to have to undress 3 times to get a shower and wait 1 hour. Even in budget hostels where the hot water hours are limited, guests frequently complain. In this particular situation, the hot water was NOT switched on that day because the manager was somewhere else most of the day.

4. There is a dog tied to the reception area. It spends hours on the guest sofa which is unhygienic, and the dog physically intruded on me. This is not acceptable.

5. The pumping of water at night makes noise.

6. They are insensitive to people who are old or have disabilities.

7. You can get a single room walk-in but not online.

8. The manager and owner cannot take feed back that is not to their liking. Cyprus Dorms' approach is to deny that it is a problem which is UNSKILLED. Instead they blame you. For example, the wifi did not work at checkin. I keyed in the number several times. Then their staff did. Still no connection, so I gave up but saved the password. In the evening it worked at the reception. There are many reasons why the wifi could have failed. There was no need to blame me for keying the wrong password. It is UNTRUE and UNFAIR. The certainly did not work in the room even when it worked at the reception area.

9. After that they SLANDER you. They claimed I tried to blackmail them and wanted to get away without paying. I put it on record that either the owner or manager LIED. First if I didn't want to pay, why did I stay until the manager came back? Second, I wrote a poor review (that is factually correct). Third, I am not impoverished. This year I have stayed at the Park Hyatt Vendome Paris (€500 per night), and hotels such as Grand Hyatt, Novotel, Ibis and Holiday Inn. (You can easily see all my reviews. I have also stayed in many budget places.) I took 55 flights ranging from first class (one was out of Frankfurt and is on Youtube) to budget. Fourth, I was in the top 3% of income earners just before I retired. My home is by the sea and I drive a Mercedes. Fifth, I contribute 20% of my income to charity. The management picked on the wrong person to LIE about. The statements they make reflect badly on themselves.

What I was most incensed was the attitude of the establishment. Cyprus Dorms takes your money but (by their own policies) they don't deliver the minimum accepted standard. Fortunately, there are honest people in places like Larnaca, Jerusalem, Nazareth, Giza, Cairo, Luxor, St Catherines, Petra, Canakkale, Selcuk, Kusadasi, Bogazkale even though their prices would be considered budget. Owners should look at the policies of companies like IBIS (15-minute promise) and AirAsia (RM 200 refund for delays over 2 hours).

Having said all this, the location is good and the room is clean.

Room Tip: All rooms are noisy. No lift (relevant if you have some disability).
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
cyprusdorms, Owner at Cyprus Dorms, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
This person has a serious problem with Cyprus Dorms & Northern Cyprus in general. He did not only post bad reviews about this place but also about Kyrenia Harbour. He compared it to a Greek Island, but worse. This is very offensive to Turkish people!

He originally posted a bad review about my establishment, which I replied to (original reply below). When I replied to it, he deleted the review (along with my reply) & posted an even worse one.

Northern Cyprus is a very difficult place to run a hostel. The government here know nothing about the hostel culture & only want nice hotels . I have been fighting with them to keep this place open.

If it was up to people like you, we would have been closed down. Thankfully we have many people that appreciate what we do.

You may have fancy cars & lots of money, "Manitree". We do NOT encourage people like you to come to Cyprus Dorms. It's a hostel & budget hotel, not a five star hotel like you are used to!

To all our guests & potential guests, please read all of our other reviews on here & all over the web, and then you will realise that this man is trying to damage my business.

Regards

Mustafa (Owner)

Copy of my reply to his last review.

Dear Manitree
I'd like to reply to your review of Cyprus Dorms

We DO have a 24 hour reception, but you forgot to mention the bit that says call +905338872007. There is also a doorbell, which would have got you attention but did not use. It is physically impossible to have someone sitting there waiting for you, but if you called or texted the number as stated, the manger would have been there within a couple of minutes as he also lives in site & is never far away.

There was nothing wrong with the WiFi as you stated yourself that it was working afterwards. I think you may have mistyped the password.

As regards to the hot water, we have water heaters. Sometimes the hot water runs out, but can be put on immediately & be hot within 15 minutes. I believe this is what Naveed done for you but then you decided that you did not want a shower after all.

You probably do not know that Northern Cyprus does not have a constant supply of mains water & that ALL water used is stored in tanks & has to be pumped up to them on the roof. The pump was 2 floors below you so I think that you saying it was a "noise which I first thought was a motorcycle going uphill" is extremely exaggerated.

Breakfast is available on request. You did not request it in advance but again as stated above if you bothered to call Naveed he would have been happy to help.

You must understand that we are a Hostel (hence the name) & budget hotel. If you expect to have someone there for your every need 24/7, you should expect to pay for it. Other hotels in our area charge twice as much as us & offer little more. You were only supposed to pay us 27 Euros for your private, en suite room in our establishment, which is located in the most central part of Kyrenia (just behind the harbour). Naveed gave you a 20% discount, so you only actually paid us 20 Euros. Naveed also told me that you tried to blackmail him & said that if he did not give you the room for FREE, you would give us a bad review. I personally think this is not the way someone of your age should be behaving!

I think using excuses like this to get a free room is not acceptable.

Your handy tip "no lift" is ridiculous. The building only has 2 floors above ground level !

We have had many, many good reviews regarding my establishment & especially Naveed, the Manager. You have not only offended me personally, but also all the other people that love & respect him, as he always goes above and beyond his duties to help other people.

Regards

Mustafa, Owner of Cyprus Dorms
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We spent few days in this hotel at the beginning of January 2012 after the reviews on tripadvisor and we did really well.
The room was very tidy and clean, a very large bathroom and the staff really friendly and helpful with us. I would really recomend this hotel for the great time that we had there.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

Having spent a week in the south of Cyprus, we travelled to Kyrenia and stayed at the Cyprus dorms after reading the reviews on trip advisor. We were pleasantly surprised at just how clean and spacious these rooms were. The title of the place suggests that this is a Hostel with basic amenities, this is certainly not the case. The manager went over and above what was expected and even walked to where I had parked my car, some distance away, to show me where I could park beside the accommodation. So what do I want from accommodation? I want it to be clean, en suit, in a good state of repair, close to the restaurants and bars and with friendly approachable staff. This place is all of the above and at a fantastic price. I have travelled extensiveley and have paid a lot more for a lot less . . . I have booked again for this coming weekend!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Atascadero, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We almost didn't stay here just because of the name, but don't let it deter you. This is a nice hotel, with most of the features that you could pay much more for elsewhere. The location is great, and the manager is very friendly and helpful. Everything worked without a hitch.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Brasov, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

It is a very good and cheap alternative to other hotels in Kyrenia.
The staff is friendly and helpful.
A note at the reception said that you may experience hot water off periods, but I personally had no problem. If the room (especially sheets) were just a little bit cleaner, it would have been an excellent review from my side.
The location is great, 50 meters away from the harbor. Parking is not available, but you could find some spaces a few streets away (couple of hundreds of meters).
Wi-fi is available only in the main lobby, in rooms the signal is very poor. But the main lobby is a real social gathering place. A washing machine is available for 10 TL (aprox 5 EUR)

Room Tip: You could ask for a room on the harbor side, if available.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cyprus Dorms? Share your experiences!