“What happened to the "palace"?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Savoy Ottoman Palace

Save Saved
You added Savoy Ottoman Palace to your Saves list
Savoy Ottoman Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sehit Fehmi Ercan Sok No 5 | Mersin 10, Kyrenia, Cyprus   |
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Kyrenia
Helsinki, Finland
“What happened to the "palace"?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

The luxurious-looking official website of the hotel gave us a bit too high expectations that were kind of turned down during our visit. My opinion of a five star hotel contains a friendly staff, somehow superior rooms and a super delicious breakfast, but unfortunately Savoy hotel was more or less in a lack of all of those. Staff had huge problems with speaking English and there's no way you could call them helpful. Rooms were clean and comfortable but just basic, there was nothing special. Air condition did not work at all. Breakfast was plentiful but somehow none of our company liked what they tasted. Swimming pool area was bleak, a small pool with a big, empty area surrounding it.

The things we liked the most were the location near to Girne harbour and the pretentious Ottoman stylish main hall. The stay was not that bad so that I would not be horrified in case I had to stay here again. However, I am quite sure you can find a better equivalent for your money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Whilst on Holiday in Kyrenia we decied to go into some hotels so that we could do a first impressions review.
This hotel is situated just off the high street in Kyrenia . Yes and on entering it certainly looked like an Ottoman palace. However after wandering down a long corridor all very splendid we came upon an automatic escalator which switched on as we got to it. Ah we are going in the hotel now thought. No lifts to rooms and more corridors. After about 5 mins of wandering we found the lower outside pool area. This is a half round pool not very big surrounded by a large area for sun bathing. Still not one member of staff had spoken to us although some had walked by us and dropped their heads.
We finally asked at an empty bar area that is that the only pool for such a large hotel." No we have a smaller one on the roof ". was the reply.
Ok . 10/10 for decor.but this hotel need to be on a life support machine . Everything is so dis-jointed. The only thing they seemed intrested in was the Casino and I think that is purely what clients this hotel is aimed at.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Firstly this is nothing to do with the Savoy chain in the UK.
Secondly it is more a Casino than a hotel.
We arrived for 2 weeks hoping for a grand stay. There were doormen when we arrived, but they were not for us, we were only tourists. If we had designer wear and money to flutter away in the casino it would have been a very different welcome.
Most staff on reception could not understand a word of English i.e. we were on HB and asked which restaurant we should use. They sent us to the Casino restaurant, where we were told we would have to pay for our evening meal, I dont think so. We asked for an ice bucket with ice on many nights, it never turned up. When questioning them the following morning, they were negative to say the least. The rooms were comfortable though we had problems with aircon. The pictures someone has left this site regarding bathroom mildew etc and very true indeed. The fruit basket on arrival had rotten fruit in it. Do not expect the "full english" for breakfast. It is all buffet style. The juice (whatever it is - I did ask a waiter and he just shrugged) needs serious watering down. Plenty of salad, olives, cold meats and pastries. The fruit bowl is very uninviting. There is an egg man, but he only does one thing at a time and can only do omelettes and eggs his way!!! You will find out if you dare go, The evening meal was no better, bland, cold and once again plenty of salad and pastries. No-one ever came round to ask if you would like a wine/beer with your meal (though it didnt seem the place to indulge either, no atmosphere), and coffee/tea had to be paid for. We complained and got ours free. We decided to eat out most of the time and found some very charming secret garden restaurants in and around old Kyrenia, which saved us really. The pool, as in another review, is very plain, had to ask for towels, go up for drinks. It is only shoulder deep and too hot, not refreshing in July. No-one ever came round, in fact the whole hotel is brilliant at not giving you eye contact, unless you are flashing cash in the casino or on business. My husband had closed in sandals and we tried to get into the casino once, we were well dressed but the sandals were a problem and we were not allowed in!! Others where going in with shorts/jeans, socks and trainers with no problem. I dont like gambling anyway, so no loss there. There was a wedding one night (will get pics up if I can) - The pool area was out of bounds, it was completely covered with a huge stage for an opera singer and 21 piece orchestra and 600 guests!!!
Another review mentions the background music, which seems like its on 24/7. It eventually drives you mad...definitely not for the English ears!!!
So as you can see, we could not wait to get home.
The good points - comfy bed, location, free shuttle and towel to Escape beach to get out of there!!!!!

Room Tip: make sure you have a proper balcony overlooking pool, not the other side.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

The Savoy Hotel is located in centrum of Kyrenia. I liked delicious meals and good service. Especially PR Manager Mrs. Bahar interested with customers. There is a free shuttle to private beach that is best beach in Kyrenia. If you want to get a shopping or walking to harbour every place in your hands. I recommend to go to Savoy Hotel. You will feel in like Ottoman Palace.

• Stayed July 2011
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

I've just return from spending the last 10 days in Northern Cyprus staying at the Savoy Ottoman Hotel in Kyrenia.
The hotel appears well maintained and the rooms well furnished. The swimming pool is nice with x3 outdoor showers to use prior return to ones room. The buffet breakfast has a wide range of different foods on offer and a one can have some food cooked to order.
I did not experience a 'welcoming' atmosphere from the majority of staff though, in fact the opposite. I found the staff abrupt, un-helpful, and some in instances just plain rude. None of the staff said 'hello' or for that matter even smiled. I would so far as to say some even had a look of distain on their faces, which made me feel more of a nuisance than a welcomed paying guest in a 5 star hotel. Not once during the whole stay was I offered coffee at breakfast, so for the first few days went and got it myself from the bar, but on the 3rd day was asked why I was doing this and coffee would be brought to me, which it never was. It was never made clear what one was supposed to do to obtain a coffee with ones breakfast. The staff at breakfast several times walked directly in front of me while I was choosing something to eat or trying to get a coffee, no 'excuse me' etc, it was as though I wasn't there or had any right to be. I had to step aside on more than one occassion.
On arrival the air con in the room wasn't working properly, and the shower head was broken and leaked everywhere, it was late at night so we didn't ask for it to be repaired until the next morning before going out for the day. On return during the late afternoon/early eveing the air con hadn't been repaired, neither had the shower. On asking at reception an engineer was sent up within 30 mins approx. He adjusted the unit and said it was ok, but it was just the same as before. He didn't look at the shower at all. The temp in the room was approx 30 + degrees, not too comfortable. On speaking to reception we were offered another room, which was larger, air con was working, but it didn't have a balcony which we'd previously had. We changed rooms and were more comfortable. When I refer to air con though, we had the unit running continually on its highest setting during our stay and the room temp never dropped below 26 degrees.
The room looked lovely when we walked in, bed was very nicly made, with scatter cushion etc, but this wasn't maintained during the stay. The cushions were stuffed behind a chair for the rest of the time, and the bed had a plain white duvet placed across it everyday, functional, but didn't look as nice. Although the room was made up everyday, this seemed to happen at different times during the day, and spare toilet rolls weren't topped up. At one point I nearly had to phone reception to ask for another toilet roll, but thank God I didn't as would have been a bit embarrassing.
The bathroom was nice, but the bath needed a clean around the top as had orange/yellow staining in the corners. I was tempted to go out and buy some bleach and a small brush to clean it, but thought better off it.
People in other rooms had used room service for meals and plates of uneaten food were left in the corridor to be collected. On one occassion this was left over night and well into the next day, not good.
Outside reception there always seemed to be at least 2-3 men in black trousers and white shirts milling about, their function was.........? Again none of them smiled or spoke as I walked in, and if I smiled at them it was greeted with a look of distain. In the end I nicknamed the hotel 'mafia' as that is the impression they have left on me. It made walking in and out of the hotel an......uncomfortable experience.

So, would I return ..........NO,

Would I recommend this hotel........... .Not really

The stay wasn't bad, but then it wasn't great either. Not what I'd expect from a 5 star hotel, and I've stayed in enough to know the difference.

I feel they need to do some serious customer care traing and at the very least mayby some self awarness traing for there staff, a simple smile and a 'hello' goes along way in my book.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Most of the staff were very helpful and freindly. The Hotel would appear to cater mainly for turkish gamblers 24 hours a day. Everything gets busy aboout Thursday till Sunday when the numbers in Hotel swell with Casino users. The buffet was never hot even if first in line,and was of poor quality. Drink prices were were three or four times more than decent outside retaurants .A mediocre bottle of wine was £30/£40.I purchased a bottle off wine next door to Savoy at a fraction off this price.I'm afraid I will not be returning to North Cyprus.Sittting round the pool can also be a nightmare owing to the volume of the so called music bashed out all day.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking pool are nice
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

Really beautiful hotel, decorated oppulently with an Ottoman feel to it. Spacious and luxurious. Staff were helpful and polite. Good location and easy walk to the waterfront restaurants. Service bus to the local beach club with a really lovely beach. Thoroughly enjoyed staying there.

No balconies on one side and no sea views so if you care about that choose somewhere else. Pool area is a bit clinical.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Savoy Ottoman Palace? Share your experiences!