“Ist Dies ein Gasthaus oder ein "Geisthaus"?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Landgasthof Au

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Vaduz
Landgasthof Au
You added Landgasthof Au to your Saves list
Austrasse 2, Vaduz 9490, Liechtenstein   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Vaduz
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Ist Dies ein Gasthaus oder ein "Geisthaus"?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

First off, let me say that I stayed at this property quite a while ago in the past, but just never got around to doing this. And I don't write or read many reviews online because I am very skeptical of their honesty. Anyway, I actually stayed for 1-night on April 2, 2005 and I can remember, because this was the date of the death of Pope John Paul II and I remember that around 10pm that evening, all the church bells in Vaduz, and I'm sure all over, were ringing which at first I thought odd but then realized that the Pope must have passed away.

Anyway, I had not pre-booked a room anywhere for this one night and quickly discovered what a big mistake that was and I now pre-book 100% of my accommodations because of what happened on this day. My friend and I spent 2 hours + driving around Liechtenstein in search of a vacancy for the night. I had no idea that so many properties would be close as this was smack dab in between seasons: after the winter ski season and just before the summer season was to begin. Luckily the Gasthaus Au had a room, although it was not ensuite; the bathroom was down the hall, which was not an inconvenience for us.

The property was friendly, rooms were simply furnished but clean and a very good breakfast served in the morning. Good value and I certainly recommend, but here's the most interesting part of this story.

The door to our room was hard to believe as it was the loudest creaking I've ever heard. It was almost comical as it seemed so exaggerated and easily could have been used as a prop on the set of "The Munsters". Every time you opened and/or closed this door, it gave a loud performance. My one concern was this excessively loud door creaking might wake up my friend, or worse yet a guest(s) in another room(s), if I needed to use the facilities during the night. (As I consumed a good quantity of wine earlier that evening, you can guess the outcome).

Around 12:30am-1:00am, I suddenly woke up to an odd noise. I was half-asleep and disoriented a bit, but heard a knocking or thumping, fairly loud, coming from the other side of the room where my friend was sleeping. The noise stopped. I figured it came from outside and started to fall asleep right away. Within a minute or two, and not yet fast asleep, the noise occurred again. Being more awake, I sat up (the noise stopped as soon as I sat up) and looked around the dark room. I was now convinced that it was coming from inside the room. I assumed it was my friend having a restless night of sleep and was inadvertently kicking something near his bed. But I quickly realized that there was no furniture by his bed and he was sleeping soundly, fully under the covers. Now I was perplexed. What on earth was this noise and where was it coming from? I decided to lie back in bed on my back, and I never sleep on my back, and gently closed my eyes and started to relax and breath a little heavier. I was acting like I was falling asleep in case the noise started up again, and it did. With my eyes closed, a pretty loud knocking started up again and it was definitely coming from inside the room. I sat up quickly and looked around and tried to solve this mystery. But like before, as soon as I woke up, the noise stopped. (I believe in ghosts, but have honestly had zero encounters ever in the past). I could not figure out where this noise came from, but one of many thoughts I had was a spirit being playful perhaps). Now I was wide awake and decided the I'd better take a trip down the hall to get rid of some of that wine I consumed earlier. As I was distracted with that odd noise, I opened the door to the hall and shut it behind me without giving it a second thought. When I was halfway down the hall, I stopped dead in my tracks and couldn't believe what just happened which was NOTHING! The door didn't make a sound whatsoever when I opened and closed it. Now I was really stumped because all day and all that evening, that door never failed to creak so loud it could have woken the dead, but at this one moment it didn't make a sound. So, I went to bathroom, came back to the room and this time the door gave the concert I had come to expect, and it woke up my friend and really startled him. I told him about the earlier knocking noise in the room, but he had no solution either. Is this hotel haunted? Very possible. Plenty of death throughout the continent of Europe with many dark periods in its history...but who knows? It is intriguing though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Prague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We did not expect much from this 2-star hotel but we were pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, with a small seating area and a private bathroom. The room included a large private terrace overlooking the garden. I have to agree with the other contributors here, it is a good value hotel with reasonable prices. The only disappointment was little choice for breakfast.
Although the hotel is situated on the outskirts of Vaduz on the main road and therefore is easily accessible from the highway, the noise did not bother us at night. It is just 5 minutes walk from the pedestrian zone and 10 minutes walk from the city center.

Room Tip: Room Nr. 8 - spacious, private bathroom and terrace
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I have not stayed there; I only tried to make a booking through tripadvisor.dk and hotels.com.

I booked Monday, but they didnt reply. When I mailed them Thursday they only came back with:

We dont have free room on 21th of march.

In other words, they could not care at all about our request.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Vaduz hotels

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Hotel was clean and tidy, a good budget option with friendly owners who were very helpful.

Stayed here whilst passing through Vaduz - went with this option as was a lot more reasonably priced than the others. Faciluties were basic but fine - other reviews all seem accurate it is on a main road but in Liechenstein that really isn't that busy..! The parking was free and easy and you are only a short walk to the centre.

Room Tip: Our room was a twin on the front of the hotel did suffer from some road noise but had a view of the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

A nice hotel with a big room located close to a busy intersection. It was pretty hot in the room and we heard the traffic through the open window. But we were tired from the trip so we fell asleep almost immediately. The best thing with the room (we stayed in room number 8) was the big terrace. The breakfast was pretty good and the staff very friendly. I you asked you got a free password for the wifi. Thanks to this hotel we had a wonderful stay in Vaduz.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Easter Island, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

The most of people stay in vaduz just for few hours, but in my case I decided do do something diferent and sleep one night in Vaduz.
The Hostal is a few expensive like everything in Lichtenstein, but the price level is similar to Zürich.
The room was basic, but confortable. My room was in the second floor with bathroom and a small window for see the mountains in the south. The breakfast was ok. The restaurant in the Hostal have a nice decoration and good food too.
You can use WIFI but they dont have a computer for the guests. You can found internet in the Post Office.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

I traveled to Liechtenstein not knowing much about the country. At the time of my visit, June 2011, I discovered that everything in Liechtenstein is more expensive than expected, because the Swiss Franc is enjoying super strong status as a safe haven currency.

Liechtenstein is a wealthy suburb of Switzerland, with the cleanest streets and absolute elite standard of living, it's the place where even the Swiss think it's expensive. So it was in Liechtenstein that I ended up spending a lot of money relative to the rest of Europe.

For two nights we stayed at Landgasthof Au and the room was comfortable. I felt good staying here. I compared rates with other hotels in Vaduz and Landgasthof Au is probably the best value even at CH150 per night.

Liechtenstein has fantastic bus service, the bright yellow luxury busses that travels up and down the main road every few minutes. For this reason, if you find a better deal in a neighboring city, just stay there. No matter where you are, Vaduz is only a few minutes away by the regular bus traveling through all day long. Buchs, Switzerland, for example, is right down the street and the Liechtenstein bus goes through this city every 10 minutes on it's regular route.

I was really happy to be in Vaduz though. It's nice to see in your life how idyllic and safe a country can be. If God Blessed America, he blessed Liechtenstein a little bit more.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Landgasthof Au? Share your experiences!