“Small but very good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Vaduz
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Small but very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel or "gasthof" has only 8 rooms but despite the size the family running it offers very professional and excellent service. The room that I stayed in was very nice with beautiful furniture. The bathroom was big with a bathtub and a shower in the tub. Nice and big towels. Everything was very clean. The room key is also the key for the front door if you go out very early or come in late. The breakfast was good although the selection was not very big, but you don´t really expect that in such a small hotel. The family that owns the hotel produces their own wine and I can highly recommend the Pinot Grigio. I did not have the opportunity to try the restaurant. The only drawback is the road just outside of the hotel - there was so much noise from the road that if I hadn´t used the earplugs (provided by the hotel) I would not have slept much. But with the earplugs it was fine. The hairdryer is the "old hotel style" hairdryer that has no power and it took forever to use.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Don't look further if you are looking for an authentically stay in Vaduz. One minute walk from shops - a great restaurant in the hotel ( visited by locals which proves the quality ) Only use earplugs in bed for the morning traffic jam (which wasn't a problem for me)

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Tokyo, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on April 18th. On that day, it rained. I walked town and went to Vaduz castle. I came back early in the evening and took dinner at the restaurant in the hotel.
There was nothing to do, then I went to bed around nine o'clock.
On the next day, I waked up early in the morning.
And the terrible experience began when I was gouing out to walk town.
I came down to the reception but there was no one and yet door of the entrance was locked.
I rang the bell, knocked the door of the restaurant and shouted "o-i".
At the beginning I knocked weakly, but strongly gradually and screemed at last.
Of course I checked everywhere in the hotel, but every doors were locked.
It elapsed almost one our and it became near seven o'clock when breakfast would be served.
I expected someone came to cook for breakfast and noticed the very very strong door knocking, but it was no succeed. I was confined completely and I remembered the movie "The collector".
I thought I can't go out from this hotel forever.
I noticed to try to insert my room key to the key hole of the door.
And the door opened miraculously!!
The outside was very fine and It was a fine view that mountains were covered with snow.
I walked town for about half an hour and cameback around 7.15a.m.
I took breakfast in a great hurry and checked out to take 8.06 bus to Feldkirch
at the bus stop just in front of the hotel.
The hotel was homelike and people were all nice and friendly,
but I have to say there's a ploblem in management.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

Now first things first. Liechtenstein is HORRENDOUSLY expensive. That said, this hotel is not. The ordinary Holiday Inn equivalent down the road was 50% more expensive than this! You will feel as though you've stepped back in time to 17th Century Europe. The rooms are spacious, luxurious in terms of genuine antiques and gorgeous in an Olde Wolrde way. The original part of the Hotel was built in the 14th century so if you're after 'authentic' then this is it! A stone's throw from the main center of town and a short drive to the castle, the hotel is perfectly situated. The restaurant is delightful both for breakfast and for dinner - which was quite impressive. We ended up in Liechtenstein by accident when we took a wrong turn on the Swiss border; this was a very happy accident indeed!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

The usual hotel I am staying in Vaduz was full so I tried the Lowen. While it is mostly known as a restaurant, it has a few rooms and actually claims to be the oldest hotel in town. The Lowen is slightly outside of the city centre. But given Vaduz' size, it is only about a ten minutes walking distance...
Check in was quite fast. I got a big room (probably a form of upgrade) that made me feel like at my late Grandma's: the smell of the wax, the old (and well maintained) furniture, an old big key, ... Nice. No business amenities were available though. The TV screen was smaller than in a plane and that was the only piece of the modern world in the room. Breakfast was all right. Food is good in general at the Lowen's.
In short, if you go there for leisure, trying the Lowen might be nice. But for business, stick to the great Residence Hotel!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Gasthof Loewen? Share your experiences!