“Medieval pub in lovely Sussex setting, serving delicious food.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Medieval pub in lovely Sussex setting, serving delicious food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

This old pub is in a gorgeous woody spot in deepest Sussex. There is a garden in which you can have a relaxed and peaceful afternoon on a fine day. The food is unpretentious and delicious. It's well worth a visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“Starvation menu”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Possibly fine for flesh eaters with a tiny appetite and anorexic vegetarians but if you don't eat animals and do have an appetite, give this one a wide berth. The choice: a very small goats cheese and leek tartlet on a teeny unappealing salad of sour frisee and radiccio. There was a ploughman's lunch but the posh bloke serving had no idea whether the cheeses were made with calf rennet or not. 'Gosh,' he said. 'I couldn't answer that. I'll ask.' 'Two seconds later he returns. 'I have no idea,' he adds, by way of variety. So the chef has 15 years experience in the kitchen (according to the website) but has no idea of the provenance of his ingredients. Impressive.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dufftown
“Superb evening meal with cracking local pint.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

During our first evening of our Euro trip, our family from East Grinstead introduced us to "a Gem in the Forest" with local ales. The establishment was rather full, luckily we reserved a table. An excellent meal was superbly served and we enjoyed the whole evening. Fine start for our holidays. Need to go back next year!

Ringmer
“A really nice meal in a charming country pub.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I'd not been to The Hatch Inn in about 9 years, but we used to go there for a meal after board meetings. Back then, the food was fantastic so on the spur of the moment, with little else to do, I thought "Why not?" and took my girlfriend there for lunch on Saturday.

We got there early and were warmly welcomed in. The pub has not lost any of its charm and the staff (although I can't recall if they had changed) were very friendly and attentive.

I was feeling brave and ordered the pan fried liver after having had it last as a child. It was gorgeous. The red cabbage, bacon and mash were an excellent match for the liver. It wasn't pretentious and didn't come with any unnecessary sides. It was delivered to the table really well presented and in just the right portion size. My girlfriend had the parfait and commented that it too was really nice.

For pudding I had the sticky toffee pudding and my girlfriend had the apple crumble, both of which were polished off.

With the drinks (my girlfriend drinks like a trooper) and tip, the meal was about £30 a head which I think was very good for the quality of the food and the level of service.

Needless to say we left smiling and promising to come back, which I am sure we will.

UK
“One of the most charming pubs in Sussex”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

What a find!!! A charming olde Sussex pub, these are very few and far between nowadays. The food was delicious and the service was spot on. Definitely worth a visit. I will be visiting again.