“Average food” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Average food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I've eaten in this restaurant twice, on both occasions it was busy as it was a holiday period which may explain the issues with the food but not excuse it. A main course consisting of pasta with salmon contained a lot of pasta and sauce but a tiny piece of salmon. I mean 'tiny!' For 14 Euro + it was a waste of money. This occurred on both occasions. Pizzas are apparently nice but I've not tried. Sauces can be heavy. 6 of us ate there and considered it average at best.

Also, when busy you may find you are seated in the conservatory at the rear of the restaurant, not a particularly attractive location. It is heated so it's not all bad.

Waiters are friendly but rushed, can be slow to get the bill. A slice of pasta was provided (unasked) before our meal with a glass of sparkling wine.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Qualicum Beach, Canada
“favourite local eatery.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

we had had a good morning exploing the amazing historic town of luxembourg and we came upon this place. lots of stickers on the window to say how good it was. opened the door and it was humming. looked packed however when i spoke to 1 of the very busy servers we were seated immediately. put our order in which was taken quickly and almost as quickly we were each given a glass of champagne and a slice of pizza, while we waited for our meal. the service was amazing as the place was very busy. many people talking to each other at different tables. i enjoyed my nicoise salad. we shared a very good basket of bread. my husband's pasta dish was iffy. cloth tablecloths and napkins. we were seated in possibly the family area, which was fine with us. a covered outdoor area as well as the main room. a delightful experience. the pics for the gender of the washrooms were fun!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Zurich, Switzerland
“Oldy but goldy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant used to exist while I was a student some 25 years ago. It still exists and let me tell you what I appreciate:
- a warm welcome by the owner brothers
- a cremant offered by the house
- a menu which has something to offer for everyone's taste
- a good blend of the people living in Luxembourg: from the minister to the hairdresser to the EU civil servant
- opening times which are above average
- a central location
Now mix all the above with a food which will not disappoint you but might not exite you as well. Anyhow it is rare to be exited these days by pizzerias except in Italy.
Probably my son will continue to have his pizzas with his friends at Bacchus.
I like this honorable place for many different reasons.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Fancy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was travelling around Benelux with my boyfriend and Luxembourg city was our first stop, so we weren't yet used to prices of food in that part of Europe. We went to Bacchus because it was the only restaurant, opened on Sunday with (to us) reasonable prices. We decided to order one richly loaded pizza for both of us.
The moment we came in we realized the place is way out of our league - we got free glasses of champagne and an entree. But the problem came when the waiter wouldn't let us order one pizza, we had to order one more. Here goes the cheap meal we were planning. Lesson: not for cheapies.

Later on our trip we realized the prices there were average, and all in all, the service was good, the only thing that really bothered me is that the staff speaks english really poorly.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Oxfordshire
“Informal, but friendly, and good value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I dropped into this pizzeria on the recommendation of a business associate. We wanted informal dining, with as little fuss as possible, so we got what we wanted. We were greeted with a glass of very nice sparkling wine (prosecco?), the menu was extensive and I had the Milanese which was good. I asked for a piece of lemon and that was not a problem. We had a bottle of sparkling water, a small carafe of red and a glass of white. For the three of us the bill came in at under €70 - quite something in this very expensive city - so it is value for money. Not terribly special or memorable. I'd go back if I wanted an informal atmosphere and cheap but satisfying food but wouldn't go alone down those dark cobbled streets.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere