“An Inspired and Immaculate Take on Modern Luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal to your Saves list
Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 blvd d'Avranches, Luxembourg City L-1160 , Luxembourg   |
Ranked #2 of 51 hotels in Luxembourg City
Dallas, Texas
“An Inspired and Immaculate Take on Modern Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

The Grand Ducal certainly gave me many key things I look for in a luxury hotel: A great location, superb views, hushed quiet, luxury bedding, hi-end bath, and a spotless room.

The rooms on the front of the hotel have wonderful views of the Petrusse Valley, the Grund, and the Old City, and I personally enjoyed the few minutes stroll from the hotel to the Old City across the bridge that connects the area near the train station to the Old City.

As an FYI, the hotel is modern and the shower design is very open to the bedroom and may or may not be a comfortable option for you depending upon whom you are with, but I really liked it and appreciated both the rain shower and hand-held spray options.

The room was probably the most immaculate I've seen all year and was essentially scar, scuff, and stain free....something I appreciate yet find quite rare, even in 5-star properties.

As said in other reviews, the complimentary mini-bar is a nice feature....mine had 2 colas, 2 juices, 2 bottled waters, and 2 perriers, and I also really appreciated both the soft-close doors so many 5-star properties lack and the multi-speed fan settings for white noise, as they combined with a plush bed and quiet neighborhood to make for an excellent night's sleep.

While in the Old City, you might enjoy a stop at Wenje for their spectacular macaroons!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

796 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Loved our room which overlooking the Petrusse Valley was modern and quite swish as you would expect from a hotel such as this. Really enjoyed breakfast (best breakfast during whole three week european trip) which was served on the 8th floor restaurant and had great views over the city.

College Station, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

This hotel is pretty nice. The bed was comfy and the room was nice. Included was the minibar and coffee machine and they had L'Occitane products to use. The hotel was not too far from the city center (about a 10 minute walk which takes you across a beautiful bridge with beautiful sights) and you can see some of the casemates literally out the front door of the hotel. My singular complaint was that there was only one TV station in English. They also want 20 euro for 24hrs of wireless internet that you can use throughout the city--not too bad. The elevators are really cool as the lights change color with each floor you go to. I loved the carpeting in the room as well as the design. The rooms were mostly quiet, I heard a few doors kinda slam in the late evening, but nothing to disturb your sleep.

co wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

What would it take to calm down a furious man who has just got lost in Luxembourg and has spent the last hour cooling his heels on a bridge without his wallet, passport or mobile phone?

A visit to the Sofitel Lux Le Grand Ducal!

Yes, I managed to lose my other half on our special anniversary visit to the Sofitel Lux Le Grand Ducal and while that might have been curtains for any other romantic weekend, once he had gone up in the amazing colour changing mood lift, seen our wonderful valley view airconditioned room and leapt into the huge glass shower room (approx 6ft X 4ft) and had the best shower of his life he cooled down all all was right with the world again.

Now that is immpressive!

As you enter the hotel you get the feling you are leaving the drab world behind and embarking on a rather exclusive journey. Chill-out music is pumped subtly onto the street beside the revolving glass doors and the reception area is in very stylish monochrome tones.

Despite the fact I was somewhat hot and bothered on arrival I was very warmly welcomed and brought up to our lovely room (410) which was a very generous complimentary upgrade. There was also a lovely note with some delicious chocolates and champagne wishing us a happy anniversary - which was all so unexpected and lovely!

Breakfast the next day was the best and most stylish I have ever had. As well as being served there was also a simply sumptuous buffet to chose from.

I had porridge and a wonderful omlette (which oddly were served simultaneously). Also freshly squeezed orange juice and coffee was brought to the table.

The buffet was too huge to detail fully but my favourite parts were the exotic fruit shots, the many exotoc fruit juices the exotic fruit, melon, strawberries and the wonderful pasteries.

The whole restaurant was so stylish and with the view over the valley it was very impressive altogether.

The whole hotel exudes an aura of cool luxury, almost to the point of being a little reminisant of an exclusive nightclub. The giant glass shower room and room layout was very James Bond and we loved it all. We booked through GTA and got a very competitive rate of 129 euros incl breakfast for the night.

While the staff were all very friendly and professional there was a strange lack of local knowledge. I wanted to know the place where the sightseeing buses and train went from and they coulf not tell me. I also asked if there was a train to brussels at 3.20 pm and was given train times at 10 and 11 and then was told the last one was at 2pm. I was then told that the conceierge needed my train reservation to find the train and in the end had to go to the conceirge desk and look over his shoulder and scroll down the website to find my train which in deed was at 3.20.

Also I sadly left my book (which I was looking forward to reading on the train) at breakfast and as our waitress had asked me my room number I would have thought in a five-star hotel that I might have been notified that I had left my book behind or even that someone might have delivered it to our room or to reception to be given back on check-out. But instead I only realised my mistake on the train.

So all in all a very impressive high-end luxury hotel, in a good location, easy walking (if you don't get lost!) from the train station and 5 minutes from the square near the old town where all the sight-seeing buses and train runs from and also surrounded by shops, cafes and restaurants. Staff very friendly, welcoming and eager to help.

It was my first time in a Sofitel Hotel and I have to say if they are all like this one I would never want to stay anywhere else - simply wonderful!!!!!

Thank you so much to all at Sofitel Lux le Grand Ducal who made our anniversary so memorable

Augusta, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

I have stayed at the Sofitel several times and each time I am greeted with a welcoming smile. The hotel is very clean and modern. The view at breakfast is amazing. Everytime I have made a request, the hotel staff were very quick to comply and always very pleasant. If you don't speak French don't worry, they make it very easy to communicate. The beds are very comfortable with nice pillow tops and the showers are quite expansive. I would recommend the Sofitel to anyone travelling to Luxembourg.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Irvine, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

Very upscale (at least more than I'm used to) hotel with an extremely polite and helpful front desk. My only complaints are as follows:

- Some of the staff seems to be unaware of the idea of good customer service. Numerous times, I called room service to either order food or have my tray picked up and I was put on hold for several minutes without anyone even asking, "May I put you on hold?" Just dead air.... Each time, I hung up after a minute of no response.

- Lack of free/cheap Internet connectivity is a rather gaping void as well.

- And lastly, the mattress was a bit lumpy.

Other than what I mentioned above, everything was great. Excellent valet parking and pickup. Pricey, but delicious breakfast. Free water and soft drinks in the mini-bar, refreshed daily. I would probably stay here again on my next visit.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

This is a modern luxury hotel located about 10 minutes walk from central Luxembourg. Some, including myself, may not like the style of the hotel as the modern theme gives a clinical appearance, particularly to the public areas.

The staff are all helpful and friendly.

The rooms are large and nicely furnished with comfortable beds. No real issues here. Soft drinks are included in the mini bar.

Breakfast was not included in the standard rate.

WIFI is not included (very poor these days) and is charged at 10 euros for 24 hours.

There is no hotel parking and one has to park at the public car park around the corner and pay the full rate.

The bar, on the 8th floor, is ultra modern (like an airport lounge) which is not to my taste. My Calvados cost 18 euros which I regard as very expensive, in fact the most expensive drink I have ever had in a five star hotel (and I have stayed in many). We were ignored for a few minutes when we arrived at the bar and staff preferred to clear up and chat rather than take our order.

My conclusion is that the rooms are nice but the other points I have raised really let down what could be nice hotel, if you like the extreme modernist styling.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal? Share your experiences!