“Great Stay and lived upto expectations and beyond” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal

You added Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal to your Saves list
Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 blvd d'Avranches, Luxembourg City L-1160 , Luxembourg   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Luxembourg City
England, United Kingdom
“Great Stay and lived upto expectations and beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We arrived at the hotel after staying 3 nights in Amsterdam amidst heavy rain, after 5 hours train journey. We received a very warm welcome and immediately felt at ease. The two staff members from the reception (Carmen & Mathias) even escorted us to our room and carried our luggage even though it wasn't a lot. They said the bar was 'complimentary' which came as a complete surprise. However, it had no alcohol but there was plenty of water and 3 virieties of soft drinks.We have stayed in some 5* hotels around the world but never came across this before.
The room was a very good size and the bed was so comfortable and there were no disturbances at the night. We were on the 5th floor and our room faced the front of the hotel. There is a magnificent view of the old town from the bar in the 8th floor. The hotel was in a central location and the city centre and the attractions were within walking distance. A very beautiful city and the nice and comfortable hotel made it a worth while holiday.

Room Tip: A room in a higher floor is better
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
FLOPEZLENS, Directeur général at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear jay47England2014,

Thank you very much for having shared you opinion about our hotel.

I am very pleased to hear that you were very satisfied with the welcome you were given by our two ambassadors Carmen and Mathias. I will make sure that this feedback will be shared with them.

I also agree with you that our "MYBED" gives you a great night of sleep and makes you feel well rested to explore the city of Luxembourg.

We hope that we can welcome you again for you next break away from home

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We had a great two nights at this hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in was of a high standard, which is what we expected. The location of the hotel is good, walking distance (10 mins) to central city centre, restaurants and shops.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
FLOPEZLENS, Directeur général at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Himesh B,

I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay at our hotel and that you decided to share this on Tripadvisor.

We hope that you will visit us again the next time you are in Luxembourg.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

I'm writing this, while staying at Le Grand Ducal. A great hotel, as stated by the other reviews. Very modern, clean, and the Superior room is spacious and has free wifi. Outstanding views from the 8th floor bar of the old town, which is a nice walk away. The check-in process was very efficient and friendly. I have stayed in many hotels around the world and this hotel has one of the most comfortable beds I've seen. Its been a treat to stay in this fine hotel. I would most definately recommend it.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
FLOPEZLENS, Directeur général at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Sharon R,

Thank you for sharing your experience which you are currently having at our hotel.

It is a pleasure to hear that you are enjoying your stay since the minute you stepped into our lobby. I agree with you that the Sofitel beds are unique and that they provide the best possible sleep experience which you can find.

I hope that you will be enjoying the rest of your stay and we hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I will avoid subjective opinions in this review and allow you to arrive at your own conclusions.
On a trip to the Alps my wife and I decided Lux was a good place to stopover.
We wanted a good rest in between two days of driving and decided a 5 star hotel was a treat worth indulging in and due to the reviews on Trip Advisor went for Le Grand Ducal.
I emailed them directly asking for a quiet room with twin beds (we don't sleep together well in hotels) and got a prompt reply with 2 options. I stated that the cheaper option would be fine but reiterated it had to be a twin bed as this wasn't mentioned in the reply. I got a reply back and confirmation which admittedly didn't specifically mention a twin room but didn't say double either so I gave my card details assuming a booking clerk should be able to handle a basic requirement like this especially in a 5 star hotel.
A few weeks passed and we arrived at reception, my wife checked again while we were being checked in that we had been given a twin room and was told yes - but guess what? On arriving at the room it was a double not a twin.
We advised reception asap via the (very helpful) porter who had just delivered our luggage.
A lot of talking went on between porter and reception but I was slightly concerned that it didn't seem to be of the right type. I advised the porter that I had the email thread where I had specified (twice) that it had to be a twin and eventually got my laptop out and showed him.
The reception person on the phone asked me to forward it to them but I couldn't do that so had to schlep down there and show him. You would have thought at this point that they would have done anything to sort the problem out but no.
After a lot of talking (in French) between clerk and (I assume) a manager the options offered were a camp bed in the room (bear in mind this is a 5 star hotel) or separate bedding or have another room but have to pay all but 25% of the cost making the bill go up from 200 Euros to 350!
Having separate rooms isn't an ideal solution but we would have probably taken them as the sleep quality would have been good had we not also been asked to pay through the nose for them due to their unquestionable error.
When I expressed this opinion to the senior member of staff (who had seen the emails where I had asked twice for a twin room) I was told that it was my fault because the confirmation that had been sent out once the booking had been made didn't specifically say that a twin room had been reserved - I stated that nor did it say a double but frankly I couldn't believe I was being blamed for this and in a 5 star hotel too!
At this point I'd had enough and my laptop and their free wifi allowed me to find another hotel a short walk away and I didn't even have to move my car from the public car park beneath the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
FLOPEZLENS, Directeur général at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear AndrewChapple,

I am very sorry to hear about the confusion of your reservation and I would like to apologize myself for this. I agree with you that you should have been advised when you made your reservation that our hotel does not have twin bedded rooms. This is definitely our fault and I regret that this happened during your stop at our hotel. Furthermore, it is very unfortunate that our front desk members were not able to find a suitable solution for you when you tried to sort everything out.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

What a stunning hotel. Booked this for a 4 day city break to Luxembourg, it was an amazing experience. Absolute 5* luxury even down to finest details such as Hermés toiletries in the bathrooms and a rainfall shower. Ask for a high flow room as the views from ours on the 6th floor were incredible.
Brilliant location half way between the station and the old town.

TIP: Ask for the limousine transport for the hotel it's €30 and a normal taxi was €35!

Room Tip: High floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jeanluc T,

Thank you very much for your great comment about your recent hotel stay.

I am very pleased that the Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal did not disappoint you and that you were able to experience a truly 5 star experience with us.

I will make sure that your fantastic comment will be shared with my team and I am sure that this will motivate them a lot.

Thank you again and I hope that you will visit us again very soon.

Riyadh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I travel a lot around the world but rarely have time to post reviews. I stayed at the Sofitel Grand Ducal in Luxembourg in February but still can not get it out of my head. I booked a luxury king room overlooking the valley and it was like a dream. Hotel location, staff and cleanliness are top. Most memorable part was their breakfast. One of the best breakfasts I ever had and the view from the restaurant is stunning.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the valley is a must.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear HadiFromRiyadh,

I really appreciate you sharing your opinion about our hotel even though you are busy travelling around the world.

I strongly agree with you that our breakfast is one of the best you will find in Luxembourg and I am very pleased that you enjoyed it.

I hope that your travelling will give you the opportunity to stay with us again.

Kind regards,

Been to Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal? Share your experiences!