“Upmarket convenient hotel with reasonable room prices.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal

You added Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal to your Saves list
Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 blvd d'Avranches, Luxembourg City L-1160 , Luxembourg   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Luxembourg City
“Upmarket convenient hotel with reasonable room prices.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Had the basic classic room which was perfectly nice. Very clean room, nice finishes like Bose stereo. Huge shower! Though quite exposed as within the bedroom (not in a separate room), so some may not like! Hotel staff were all friendly and helpful at all times.
I did not use the restaurant or room service, though this was partly due to price, sure food is great, but very expensive.
Hotel bar has great views over the city. Good selection of drinks. Though cocktail prices were bordering on extortionate, nearly 20Euros. Hard to justify that at any hotel (this is more than cocktails at the Savoy Hotel, London).
Free soft drinks in the mini bar was a nice touch, and good free coffee machine in room.
Overall great hotel, and would definitely use again, just go easy on food and drink at the hotel unless you have a big wallet!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
FLOPEZLENS, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear alexbaker30,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal. We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and your experience at the hotel.

Your compliments about the design of the room are highly appreciated as well as your compliments about the large selection and the quality of our cocktails.

We thank you once again and we are looking forward to welcoming you soon to offer you a perfect stay as the previous one.

With my best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Saddle River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I loved this hotel because the service could not have been better but our air conditioning didn't really work.
To start with, we had a lot of trouble finding the hotel because there is construction going on directly in front of the hotel but once we did find it, the service was terrific. They parked the car, brought the luggage and check in was a breeze. The rooms are fairly large and have everything. We had a lovely view of Luxembourg City and walked to everything. The staff also helped with directions, restaurant recommendations and reservations.
Unfortunately, the windows in this hotel do not open and the air conditioning simply did not cool at all. We were hot all night. Also the drains need to be cleared and the water backed up in the shower.
Also go upstairs to the restaurant or the bar for the view. It is amazing. We would have eaten in the restaurant but there was a private party there that night and the bar is a smoking bar so that was totally out of the question.
If the hotel fixes there little issues, it would be a perfect hote.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
FLOPEZLENS, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your wonderful review on our hotel. We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay even if you met some inconveniences.

We would like to apologize for all these little issues. Please, rest assured that they remain very occasional and will not happen once again.

The road works, made by the town, cause some signage inconveniences but they will disappear in the near future.

Concerning the smoke at the Coco Mango Lounge Bar, it is allowed by the legislation but a draft bill will be passed on January 2014 to prohibit tobacco in public areas.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal and it is our hope to offer you a memorable experience without any issue.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My stay at the Sofitel was quite last minute; I had arrived in Luxembourg for a business meeting that morning and was only supposed to spend only the day there but I ended up staying the night. .. Consequently I didn’t have much with me in the way of toiletries but the staff were very accommodating at gathering me a toothbrush and shaver and the rooms were already laden with ample towels, bathrobe, slippers, shampoo & body wash (Hermes)!

The room was spacious with a complimentary mini bar and the bed was unbelievably comfortable… There was also a tv, desk and chair/ footstool. The shower was also really great, but not very private if you were staying with anyone other than your partner!!

The hotel also had a bar on the top floor which was quite busy until late with people sitting at tables having a quiet drink overlooking the city. The cocktails and liqueur coffees were good here, but you wouldn’t want to have too many as they do rack up!

There looked to be a hotel restaurant, although I don’t think it was open that night…. Having been to Luxembourg a few times I managed to walk to town with ease (aided by the umbrella from the concierge) and have dinner there- the walk is about 15minutes and very easy to navigate. The train station and a few shops/ food places are also nearby.

Breakfast was a good spread of toast and pastries although I didn’t think it was worth what they charged to add it on. Eggs were also served upon request, but I found my poached eggs a bit too vinegary for my palate.

All in all a lovely hotel and completed to a nice standard, but I felt like it was lacking a bit of soul. Would consider staying here again- I didn’t’ really have any real complaints to make me want to avoid it, but I have enjoyed a better experience at other hotels for slightly cheaper…

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
FLOPEZLENS, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your kind review on Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal. It is always a pleasure to receive positive and constructive remaks like yours.

Indeed, we always strive to provide the best experience service; therefore your feedback is essential for us.

We would like to have the opportunity to show you the soul of our hotel for instance on Saturday night with the musical animation created by a D.J at the Coco Mango Lounge Bar, where you can drink original cocktails, overlooking the Petrusse Valley. You can also discover the surprising cuisine of our Restaurant L'Etoile du top floor based on French Touch with a local approach and luxurious products.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon and it is our hope to offer you a memorable experience at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal!

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

If you are visiting Luxembourg, choose this hotel, it is by some margin the best in the city.

Colleagues were constrained in choice and some unfortunately picked the IBIS STYLES (the reviews of this dive are fully substantiated: avoid it, and anywhere within a ca. 0.75km radius of the station, like the plague). Even though the Sofitel is only around a 1km walk from the revolting fleapit of human decay that is the Luxembourg Gare quartier, it could not be more separate. The Sofitel's prominent location overlooking the river gorge affords oustanding panaramic views from the 8th floor restaurant - a special mention to Judith, for complementing my breakfast visits with her joie de vivre and enthusiastic insight into Luxembourg history, and excellent attentive service. Breakfast was included in the room rate and everything was utterly faultless; presentation, choice (including soya and skimmed milk), freshness, cleanliness - all perfect. Room service is often a good barometer of quality: three dinners served in the room, all were superb - all arrived within 20 minutes, the monkfish was fresh, the asparagus snapped perfectly, and the steak was cooked exactly as requested. The mini-bar is all free (no alcohol, however). The free Wi-Fi worked immediately with no registration (landing page login) needed - and the TV was tuned to BBC1 on button 1, BBC2 on button 2, (I know... but it really doesn't get any better). I'm a light sleeper and having requested a quiet room at check-in, received exactly that - no noise at all from outside, none from other quests, and only a very faint occasional whirr from the lift motors, which was sufficiently infrequent (and faint) not to disturb (my room was virtually next to the lifts). At least one reviewer mentioned building work directly next to the hotel, but this (work on a railway bridge) caused no inconvenience or noise during my visit.

For review context, I typically reserve max. scores only for the exceptional. Overall, I count this as one of the best business hotels in which I have stayed, primarly for its quality, location, attention to detail, service and staff - final special mention to Isabella at reception. Thank you Sofitel, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Tell the staff your requirements and they will accommodate them.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Nick,

We are very pleased to read a wonderful comment like yours! At Sofitel we strive to provide the best service experience; therefore your feedback is essential for us.

Your compliments about the quality of the breakfast are highly appreciated as much as your compliments about the atmosphere and the professionalism of our staff.

We will definitely share your delicious comments with all our staff especially with Judith and Isabella.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal and it is our hope to offer you a perfect stay and a memorable experience as the previous one.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The good; service, location, view from the bar, free wi-fi, quality of the breakfast. The bad; smoking is still permitted in the bar ( supposedly being banned from next year ), and the beds are far too soft.

Value depends on the time of year - in the summer I think it's pretty good value, but starts getting a bit pricey in the high season.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

FLOPEZLENS, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear xslee,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal. We are delighted to read your wonderful comment!

Your compliments about the quality of the service are highly appreciated as much as your compliments about our breakfast. We will definitely share all these remarks among our team.

Concerning the smoke at the Coco Mango Lounge Bar, a draft bill will be passed in the near future to prohibit tobacco in public areas.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon and it is our hope to offer you a perfect stay and a memorable experience.

Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I arrived I felt very welcomed by the staff!! The room was very spacious, free wifi, free minibar and deciding to have a coffee then discovered there was no kettle but a wonderful Nespresso machine! The bar is on the 8th floor with stunning views over the valley and again the staff are wonderful. This is my 6th business trip to Luxembourg but my first stay at this hotel and it certainly will not be my last!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
FLOPEZLENS, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review on Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal! It is a real pleasure to read comments like yours!

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay especially the amenities in your room and the professionalism of our staff. As information, tea-kettle are available on request, so you can ask for it during your next stay.

We will definitely share all your comments among our team to congratulate them for the quality of their work.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon and it is our hope to offer you a memorable experience as this one!

With my best regards,
Olstykke, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

What an amazing hotel! Due to overbooking on our category we got a free upgrade and had the most amazing room with a view over the Petrusse Valley. Very pleasent and always smiling staff who would help us at any time. Great breakfast room with view over the valley. Not the last time that I'm going to book this hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

FLOPEZLENS, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Lisbeth B,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review on Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal. Your compliments about the view over the Petrusse valley are highly appreciated as well as your compliment about the professionalism of our staff.

At Sofitel we strive to provide the best experience service; therefore your feedback is essential for us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again for another trip in the Grand-Duchy. It is our hope to offer you a memorable experience as the previous one.

With my best regards,

Been to Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal? Share your experiences!