If you are visiting Luxembourg, choose this hotel, it is by some margin the best in the city.
Colleagues were constrained in choice and some unfortunately picked the IBIS STYLES (the reviews of this dive are fully substantiated: avoid it, and anywhere within a ca. 0.75km radius of the station, like the plague). Even though the Sofitel is only around a 1km walk from the revolting fleapit of human decay that is the Luxembourg Gare quartier, it could not be more separate. The Sofitel's prominent location overlooking the river gorge affords oustanding panaramic views from the 8th floor restaurant - a special mention to Judith, for complementing my breakfast visits with her joie de vivre and enthusiastic insight into Luxembourg history, and excellent attentive service. Breakfast was included in the room rate and everything was utterly faultless; presentation, choice (including soya and skimmed milk), freshness, cleanliness - all perfect. Room service is often a good barometer of quality: three dinners served in the room, all were superb - all arrived within 20 minutes, the monkfish was fresh, the asparagus snapped perfectly, and the steak was cooked exactly as requested. The mini-bar is all free (no alcohol, however). The free Wi-Fi worked immediately with no registration (landing page login) needed - and the TV was tuned to BBC1 on button 1, BBC2 on button 2, (I know... but it really doesn't get any better). I'm a light sleeper and having requested a quiet room at check-in, received exactly that - no noise at all from outside, none from other quests, and only a very faint occasional whirr from the lift motors, which was sufficiently infrequent (and faint) not to disturb (my room was virtually next to the lifts). At least one reviewer mentioned building work directly next to the hotel, but this (work on a railway bridge) caused no inconvenience or noise during my visit.
For review context, I typically reserve max. scores only for the exceptional. Overall, I count this as one of the best business hotels in which I have stayed, primarly for its quality, location, attention to detail, service and staff - final special mention to Isabella at reception. Thank you Sofitel, highly recommended.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Lux Le Grand Ducal Hotel
- Sofitel Lux Le Grand Ducal Hotel Luxembourg City
- Sofitel Hotel Luxembourg City
- Sofitel Luxembourg City
- Luxembourg City Sofitel
- Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal Luxembourg City
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the Alzette and Petrusse Valleys, the luxurious Sofitel Luxembourg le Grand Ducal enjoys stunning views of the historic city centre. The hotel is at the centre of the Espace Petrusse complex, a short walk from major multinationals, embassies, major tourist attractions and shopping. On the top floor of the hotel is a high class restaurant serving gourmet cuisine prepared by a star rated chef. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Splendia, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Tingo, Otel, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Expedia and Venere so you can book your Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.