“Too warm for us” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Luxembourg City
Colorado Springs
“Too warm for us”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Face it, Americans have a different idea of air conditioning than Europeans. The hotel was overly warm. We could not cool down the room since the windows are seealed shut. The hotel did offer to have maintenance come up and manually open the windows for us, but we kept hoping by keeping the A/C turned "down to 12" at the suggestion of the front desk, that it would cool off. Unfortunately, housekeeping kept turning it off each day....sigh....besides the cooling issues, we felt the bed was very uncomfortalbe--like rock hard. Otherwise, standard business hotel Very conveniently located and the customer service was outstanding.

Room Tip: Something that doesn't have a west-facing window in the summer---
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Oxfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Call me a creature of habit, but I love this hotel and have been coming here on business trips for over twentyfive years. The rooms are tastefully decorated and comfortable. The bed linen is divine. The staff are discreet and friendly. Breakfast is always a treat - probably because unless I'm in a hotel I don't usually bother. The best news is they have - at last - abandoned their charges for internet access - and on top of that, the connections, which haven't previously been that good, seem to have improved. My sole wish is for a better shower - it is OK but could do with modernising - I know there's a wing of the hotel with better showers because I've stayed in one of those rooms before.
There is a choice of restaurants for evening meals - I usually go to Le Jardin unless I'm entertaining in which case it's the rather more expensive but excellent La Pomme Cannelle. Le Jardin is great for breakfast but the menu in the evening doesn't seem to me to have changed for years and is a bit disappointing - however, room service is super.
I won't stay anywhere else in Luxembourg.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Le Royal on a recent business trip. I was delighted from the moment I stepped onto the property. The staff is attentive and helpful, the rooms spacious, the decor lovely, and best of all - super comfortable beds. I was surprised to see someone write a review saying the beds are rock hard as I found them to be firm yet plush. The hotel is also centrally located. You can walk to shops, museums and restaurants or take one of the many buses that stop within a few blocks of the hotel. Don't miss stopping by the park behind the hotel to unwind after a day at the office or sightseeing; it's beautiful. I will definitely stay here next time I come back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
location
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Superb service, great location etc...BUT thy have new beds and they are rock hard ! I could not sleep and most guests having requested one or two additional softer layers on their bed they were running out of them when I asked. Wifi is now free, BUT did not work due to technical problems :-(

Room Tip: if it was not for the beds i would recommend it warmly. But a sleepless night in a hotel is not what...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

From the entrance to the room everything was perfect! The staff was wonderfull. The spa is very nice! The pool great! The breakfest...one of the best I ever taste and see! Value of the money?! Perfect!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Marco Island, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This hotel has amazing customer service. The hotel employees are more than willing to help you with whatever you may need. I enjoyed dinner at La Pomme Canelle- my steak was excellent and the dessert was spectacular. The hotel's location was great. The hotel is near a great shopping area, and is not far from more historical areas of town. My one complaint is that the beds were extremely hard.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The hotel is not the usual type of place that my wife and I would usually stay at, given that the hotel was built in 1983 and is very much a modernist architectural creation. Having said that, the service was excellent, the room was excellent and the Chinese president was also staying there at the same time as us! No, we didn't get to see him, before you ask, but the security detail around the hotel was massive and all that was missing was some snipers scanning the hotel. Maybe they were there afterall? We entered through a side door and whisked through a metal detecting device similar to the ones you go through at an airport. In addition we were then patted down and our suit cases checked in the off chance that my wife and I were assassins employed by some foreign secret service. It was all very cold war like in all it's absurdity, yet it was all exciting at the same time and added a sense of intrigue to our otherwise uneventful holiday to that point! Once inside everything was business as usual and we did enjoy our stay. The Grand Ducal Palace is nearby as is the Place d'Armes and National Museum of Art and History. Also nearby are Notre-Dame Cathedral and the Casemates du Bock. The only (minor) quibble stems from the fact that we paid in full when we booked the hotel room and then upon returning home we discovered that they charged us yet again after our stay. To the hotel's credit, they fixed this up after we sent an email pointing out the error. All in all, nothing to worry about.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Royal Hotels & Resorts - Luxembourg? Share your experiences!