“a bit dated now” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Luxembourg Europe

You added Sofitel Luxembourg Europe to your Saves list
Sofitel Luxembourg Europe
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 rue du Fort Niedergruenewald | Quartier européen Nord, Plateau de Kirchberg, Luxembourg City 2015, Luxembourg   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Luxembourg City
LONDON
“a bit dated now”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I stayed here a few times about 10 years ago.
For some reason at the time I thought it was quite cool and had nice public areas (cuban bar) etc.
I had reason to return this week and found it frankly a tad dated.
This is only about 10 minutes from the airport so really handy if you are coming in to work in the Kirchberg area as I was.
Check-in was very swift and friendly. I was upgraded (presumably as I am an A-club member).
Room was big and well appointed. But the furnishings, colours etc are all very outdated and make for a drab experience. The bed is very comfortable, TV is flat screen and I was lucky enough to have a Nespresso machine in my room - so its definitely not bad BUT just a bit of a makeover would go a long way to rack this hotel up a star (in my ratings system anyway!)
I did go down to the Cuban bar and though it was entirely empty it did manage to smell very smoky. I had a quick drink but was not enticed to stay any longer. This feels like a very ordinary room where a few years ago I swear it felt quite luxurious and unique.
I did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on room service or restaurants.
My wake up call was a few minutes late but it really didn't matter as a very strong smell of cooking fatty breakfast permeated my room from very early on. Really horrible! Looking at the hotel plan on the back of the door later I realised that my room was right behind a service shaft - so that probably explains it. Either way it had the dual function of waking me up AND ensuring I had no appetite for breakfast.. or lunch.
Ordered a taxi which didn't arrive at the appointed hour. The bellboy was so incensed that another taxi driver from the same firm refused to take me that a shouting match broke out. Luckily another taxi arrived a few moments later and I hopped in - to the disgust of another couple who had arrived outside AFTER me and who had NOT pre-booked their car. As I left the bellboy was shouting insults at the first taxi driver and fists were being waved. What a kerfuffle!!
Anyhow, I would go back but only if my business in Luxembourg was specifically in the Kirchberg area. Otherwise in town I would definitley choose the Sofitel Ducal instead.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
RDMH1314, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Europe, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for staying at the Sofitel Luxembourg Europe on this occasion and for having taken the time to share your remarks with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

It is with great regret we read that your stay was not to your expectations. We were very concerned regarding your comments about the decoration of our hotel, the design of the rooms and your feeling about the cigare bar.

Moreover I want to sincerely apologize for the delay of your alarm clock, and the incident with your taxi.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sofitel Luxembourg Europe and to show you that the hotel has the charm you have been missing.
We look forward to your next visit with pleasure,

Jean-Philippe Kern

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Turkish first
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

This is a lovely hotel and although i was there for business i would happily return as a tourist. The staff are, without exception, extremely helpful and generously tolerated my lack of French language skills - they are all adept at English and put me to shame! My room was spacious, clean and well equipped. The bed was one of the most comfortable i have slept in. I had room service for one evening and ate at the restaurant in the lovely atrium on the other. Both evenings the food was of a very high standard and the service impeccable. The bar is also a lovely place to relax. Overall a lovely experience but not cheap (nothing really is in Luxembourg, except the wine!)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
RDMH1314, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Europe, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you to Sofitel Luxembourg Europe !

We are thrilled that you enjoyed staying with us and thank you very much for your wonderful comments and I will certainly not fail to pass your congratulations on to the teams !

We all look forward to seeing you back in a not too distant future.

Sincerely Yours,

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

This is a very good hotel. Good standards as always in Sofitel but what makes it remarkable is the way I was treated by Jeanne at the reception. She is the most helpful staff of all the sofitels i have been in.
Thanks again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
RDMH1314, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Europe, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave these wonderful comments on TripAdvisor.

It is always a real pleasure to read that our guests enjoyed the hotel our services and we continuously strive to satisfy their expectations.
Your enthusiasm for Jeanne is very much appreciated and will be a great source of motivation for her. I will certainly not fail to congratulate her for his excellent work.

We all look forward to welcoming you again at the Sofitel Luxembourg Europe!

Apach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Stayed here for a party, catering good, service great, rooms were lovely, especially the ensuite, breakfast very varied selection of hot and cold food. booked on the internet and had a considerably lower rate than that advertised on reception! Slept so well was very tempted to order the mattress!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
RDMH1314, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Europe, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

It was a real pleasure to read that you were satisfied with our services and enjoyed your stay with us. Your enthusiasm for our hotel and especially for our rooms is very much appreciated !

Thank you again for the courtesy of your time and we all look forward to welcoming you again at the Sofitel Luxembourg Europe in a not too distant future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Stayed here on a business trip. Pretty much exactly what you would expect from a Sofitel with quality throughout. All the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
RDMH1314, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Europe, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your nice comments on Tripadvisor !

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon !

Marbella
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012 via mobile

Great indoor courtyard with fantastic gourmet restaurants along an indoor promenade... Spacious rooms but (and a big butt) lets discuss the lack of electrical sockets.
First; the electrical sockets by the nightstand (for the mobile phones); there are none. As I was traveling with my wife; we both required a socket for our mobile devices. Recommendation: if you will be staying in this hotel, pack an octopus... You can push the night stand forward, plug-in an octopus sharing the socket of the nightstand lamp (on both sides of the bed).

Second, socket(s) at the desk for a laptop computer: doesn't exist. There is a socket for a "stand up lamp" about 6 feet away... I ended up going to "Alcampo" which is a department store/supermarket to buy an extension chord.. Beware, if you switch off the lights of the room, the socket will go off too. The main purpose of that particular socket is for lighting. In other words charging for the laptop stops if you switch off the lights... Recommendation: turn the lamps off and on (around the room) individually as to not seize the charging of your laptop.

Third, sockets in the bathroom: none. If you blow dry your hair or use a curling/straightening iron you are out of luck... Recommendation: lend the wife the extension chord that you bought for the laptop.
To the reception staff: they seem to work in two shifts (and don't bother asking for the concierge. I am not sure that they have one). However the reception staff are very helpful (bar linguistic difficulties). The morning shift, then the afternoon shift. The man that works in the afternoon shift does not speak English and can come off as being a bit dumb, but he is not. The only common ground we had was Spanish. When I figured this out, life became a little easier as I have been living in Spain
for the past 12 years. If you speak French, you will be able to communicate with everyone.
Breakfast was included in my package, and the breakfast staff were amazing!! They were helpful to a whole new level, and as the wife likes to sleep in, they even trollied up breakfast for her (free of charge)! Also there is no additional charge for ordering off the menu.
The restaurants in general (in the hotel) were top notch. As the wife lived in Switzerland for many years, she appreciated the effort and attention to detail.
The mini bar: not well stocked. It is comprised of four soft drinks and two kinds of water (and that's it). No beer. No liquor. No nuts, chocolate, nor chips.
One thing I found unusual is that the climate control actually worked! For the first time in my life, I did not have to fiddle with the settings, nor the direction of the air flow.
Tv: only one channel in English. Recommendation: bring a HDMI cable, and plug your laptop to the TV; and and have your laptop loaded with movies, alternatively; bring a good book.
Also the windows open up. It is nice to air out the rooms.
The bellhop only speaks French. They sent him to the room for an electrical problem. But they fail to mention that he seems to be a staring contest champion.
Recommendation: if you encounter a maintenance ask for a English/Spanish speaker unless you speak French or enjoy staring contests.
There is parking for your car (but they charge you a fee). I think they forgot to charge us as we kept loosing the ticket.
Sleeping/ quietbess: I had no problem sleeping, and I am a light sleeper (much like a nervous giraffe). There is a double door for noise in the rooms.
Last but not least, I requested a late check out as I has a late afternoon flight. They were exceedingly accommodating to said request.
To conclude, I actually settled for this hotel; the hotel that I normally stay at (in Luxembourg) was fully booked... Having said that, I will not stay at this hotel again. Although it had many positive aspects, I prefer practicality over pizzas.

• Stayed March 2012
RDMH1314, Guest Relations Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Europe, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
We would like to thank you for having taken the time to write this detailed comment on TripAdvisor.
It was indeed a pleasure to read that you were overall satisfied with our services and enjoyed your stay with us. I am however very concerned by your constructive remarks regarding the lack of electrical sockets and of English TV channels. I have already addressed these issues with the team concerned in order to prevent reoccurrence in the future.

On a more positive note, your enthusiasm for our hotel and particularly our restaurants and reception staff is very much appreciated and will be a great source of motivation for them. I will certainly not fail to convey your very kind compliments.

We would appreciate if you could give us a phone number or an email address to contact you personally.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Sincerely yours,

Jeanne Zampa
Guest relation Manager
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We stayed here only overnight en route from France to Holland by car as a family of 5. We had a suite with interconnecting door to a room for the kids.

Location
Not in the touristy part of Luxembourg, and was a little difficult to get to with ongoing construction outside the hotel

Check-in
Efficient and very good

Rooms
Impeccable. Large, clean, modern, large safe, great amenities. Could not really fault them aside from a slightly annoying sensor light at the door.

Restaurants
Italian restaurant had high quality albeit slightly pricey food.
Breakfast was great - nice range and good quality.
The staff were attentive and helpful.

Other
Small gym - could do with a little more equipment

Overall
If visiting Luxembourg as a sight-seeing tourist, the hotel is not in the ideal location, however as far as the hotel itself goes, it is of exceptional quality.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
RDMH1314, General Manager at Sofitel Luxembourg Europe, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

We all look forward to welcoming you again at the Sofitel Luxembourg Europe!

Jean-Philippe Kern

Been to Sofitel Luxembourg Europe? Share your experiences!