I stayed here a few times about 10 years ago.
For some reason at the time I thought it was quite cool and had nice public areas (cuban bar) etc.
I had reason to return this week and found it frankly a tad dated.
This is only about 10 minutes from the airport so really handy if you are coming in to work in the Kirchberg area as I was.
Check-in was very swift and friendly. I was upgraded (presumably as I am an A-club member).
Room was big and well appointed. But the furnishings, colours etc are all very outdated and make for a drab experience. The bed is very comfortable, TV is flat screen and I was lucky enough to have a Nespresso machine in my room - so its definitely not bad BUT just a bit of a makeover would go a long way to rack this hotel up a star (in my ratings system anyway!)
I did go down to the Cuban bar and though it was entirely empty it did manage to smell very smoky. I had a quick drink but was not enticed to stay any longer. This feels like a very ordinary room where a few years ago I swear it felt quite luxurious and unique.
I did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on room service or restaurants.
My wake up call was a few minutes late but it really didn't matter as a very strong smell of cooking fatty breakfast permeated my room from very early on. Really horrible! Looking at the hotel plan on the back of the door later I realised that my room was right behind a service shaft - so that probably explains it. Either way it had the dual function of waking me up AND ensuring I had no appetite for breakfast.. or lunch.
Ordered a taxi which didn't arrive at the appointed hour. The bellboy was so incensed that another taxi driver from the same firm refused to take me that a shouting match broke out. Luckily another taxi arrived a few moments later and I hopped in - to the disgust of another couple who had arrived outside AFTER me and who had NOT pre-booked their car. As I left the bellboy was shouting insults at the first taxi driver and fists were being waved. What a kerfuffle!!
Anyhow, I would go back but only if my business in Luxembourg was specifically in the Kirchberg area. Otherwise in town I would definitley choose the Sofitel Ducal instead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Luxembourg Europe is the only 5-star hotel in the new economic and cultural district of the "Plateau de Kirchberg" in Luxembourg. It is in the midst of the European Institutions and the business district, less than 10 minutes from the city center and offers easy access to Findel Airport and the highway system. There is a wide variety of cultural and business venues close to the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Travelocity, ACCOR, EasyToBook, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Sofitel Luxembourg Europe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Luxembourg Hotel Luxembourg City
- Accor Luxembourg City
- Sofitel Luxembourg City
- Luxembourg City Sofitel
- Sofitel Luxembourg Europe Luxembourg City