“Poor service, mediocre food, hard to find, expensive” 1 of 5 stars

Logis Aux Anciennes Tanneries
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   42a, rue Jos Simon, Wiltz L - 9550, Luxembourg   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Wiltz B&B and Inns
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Poor service, mediocre food, hard to find, expensive”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stopped here one our way back to the UK from Germany. It's a bad choice for this. The last 40Km took 45 minutes to drive and the hotel is hard to find, especially in the dark. Find the car park opposite the Poly Hotel and look for an unsigned narrow bridge across a brook at the back. Wiltz is not a good base for exploring the undeniable attractions of the central Duchy of Luxembourg, modern, undistinguished, with few attractions and no restaurants of note.

We arrived at 20:00 and were given three reminders in 10 minutes that the dining room would close soon. Since there was no WiFi in my room (my complaint was met with a shrug) I took my iPad down to dinner. The dining room was almost empty so we chose a table set for three but were moved to a small table for two which didn't have enough room for out things. Food was central kitchen style, with frozen potato croquettes, questionable veg and average meat and fish yet it doubled the cost of our stay.

After I had finished my dessert I was hustled into reception so that the lights could be turned out in the restaurant. 10 minutes later the lights were turned out in the reception area and the internet service disappeared altogether.

€210 for one night and a mea for two was terrible value for money that looks attractive from the photos but actually has the appearance, service and kitchen of a 1980's IBIS.

I don't normally write bad reviews but if you're looking for a country retreat in the Grand Duchy, try one of the many hotels in Vianden or Echternach and give Wiltz and Les Anciennes Tanneries a wide berth.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sible Hedingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The old part of this hotel is full of beams and little rooms and nooks and crannies - here is the restaurant, which served a la carte meals and an excellent fixed-price Menu Marche. The new part, just beside it, houses a fitness centre and pool, with smart but simple rooms above. Most bedrooms in the old or new parts overlook the little river, and there's a courtyard in which to relax on the wooded riverbank.
It's not that easy to find, as it's up against a cliff with a lane for access. So some rooms overlook the cliff, not the river.
Service at dinner was fine, and the breakfast lavish. But our request for extra pillows was greeted with puzzlement, and the proprietress launched a search for spares, eventually returning with pillows but no pillowslips, apologising and offering spare towels to lay over the bare pillow-ticking. On checking out, we had to remind them that we'd had dinner!
A bit wacky, but a good touring base for this pretty regoin.

Room Tip: Check whether you overlook the river!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Charming house in the nice town of Wiltz. I guees the best rooms are in the new Annex of the Hotel, with a covered pool and a fitness Centre. The food in their restaurant is also very good.

Room Tip: I guess the best rooms are in the new Annex of the Hotel, with a covered pool and a fitness Centre
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

We spent a night at Anciennes Tannereis with our children and booked two rooms. One was 30 EUR more expensive because it was supposed to have a whirlpool (or so).
When we arrived our impression was that the setting was by far not as attractive as it looked on the pictures, as it is overlooking a parking on the other side of the small river. There was some rubbish lying around, and the whole outside area looked a little too dirty and neglected.
Reception was pretty much useless, as when we arrived in the evening we were welcomed by a waiter from the restaurant who handed us our keys, but was unable to provide any other information.
When we checked out the next day, there was a lady at reception. When I mentioned that our bathroom had a serious issue with mold she replied gruffly that she did not know about it and that she did not visit the rooms every day... clearly she did not care.
Rooms were quite nice, except for some maintenance issues (light bulbs not working, missing nuzzle covers in the "hot tub", broken tiles in the bathroom, missing opaque curtains in one room, broken shower); but what was really disgusting was a bad case of mold on the ceiling of the bathroom with the "hot tub". The "hot tub" was just a bathtub with some jet nozzles in it and made an incredible noise when it was switched on. Needless not say we did not feel any desire of using it beacuse of the noise and the mold. Next morning someone used the hot tub in another room nearby, and it sounded like a jet taking off just over our heads... talk about a quiet setting... So I would avoid the hot tubs, as the supplement in price is in my eyes ridiculous for what you get.
At the end of the day the rooms were quite ok, but I believe that for this category and region they were just overpriced.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

We'be booked a two day gastronomic package together with my parents.The location is fantastic ,very quiet.

The hotels is a really charming house.The reception could be better.We stayed in the lounge for about 20 minutes when finally the receptionist put the light on(3 PM)and checked us in.

The rooms are comfortable,clean and there's everyhting you need.Great bathroom with enough light to put on your make up and shave without problems!!!

The beds are huge and very comfortable.

The restaurant is situated in the cellar.Very nice and warm.The food is fine,but not really gastronomic.15 potatoes on every plate is WAY too much.The wine card has a large choice of wines of all origins and in every price category.

• Liked — the rooms
  • Disliked — the stairs
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Zaventem, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

I stayed at the hotel for 1 night to surprise my wife with our first marriage anniversary. The rooms are very nice and we received a room with view on the little river which was very peaceful.

I really recommend this hotel if you want to relax from the busy life in the city.

We also had dinner at the hotel, that was good but not extraordinary. The breakfast buffet was pretty poor, but a good 3* hotel in a very nice area.

• Liked — The quietness
  • Disliked — the breakfast was very poor
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2006

Booked a one-night stay at this hotel, which is very nicely located in the north of the country. I booked a package, including a room with a jacuzzi, a 3-course dinner and breakfast. It was part of a AAA-rate deal.

Upon arrival, we were told that we would have to go and eat directly as the chef was waiting for us. I had told them by mail that my girlfriend does not like salmon, and they had responded that that would not be a problem. Once at the restaurant, it turned out to be a problem, so I had to kindly urge them to arrange for something else (as I had requested). They did not appreciate me doing this. As concerns the wine, I asked them if a certain bottle was nice, and I was astonished to hear that "I don't know because I have never tasted it". This is worthless advice, so I decided to chose my wine by myself. The foie gras we got as a starter was way too cold to let us enjoy what it was. The wine turned out to be very nice, but the worst was yet to come: the fish we got served as a main dish was barely cooked. Did they really expect us to eat raw fish!? When they came to clear the dishes, they did not even ask why we barely touched our food, they clearely could not care less. Dessert was fine.

As to the room, we had a big room which was a bit chilly even though we heated it constantly. For some reason the emergency exit seemed to run through our room, which left me with two questions: (a) are people going to start running through our room in case of fire and (b) how are they going to do that as I have locked the door? Surely, this goes against every fire safety principles.

Breakfast was admittedly very nice, fresh products and everything in place. At check-out however, I told the young lady that I wanted to profit from the AAA-rate, she did not react and told me that she did not know of any such rate. When I told her that there was a sign on the counter saying "AAA-rate, please ask", she walked away furiously and came back a minute or two later to tell me "ok, you'll get your rate". I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I do not know if this was their usual staff but if it is then I would not advise anyone to stay in this hotel, unfortunately only because the staff is so incredibly rude.

Been to Logis Aux Anciennes Tanneries? Share your experiences!