“What a let down...such a shame!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel du Commerce
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Route de Marnach, Clervaux L - 9709 , Luxembourg   |
Ranked #2 of 8 hotels in Clervaux
Northampton, United Kingdom
“What a let down...such a shame!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We were due to stay here on the Saturday evening last weekend, and were really looking forward to this as the facilities sounded very good. We were a party of six adults, and had three rooms booked on a mini tour of European countries in a long driving weekend.

Unfortunately - an error on my part meant that I had booked this hotel for Friday evening - rather than the intended Saturday evening. My wife in the UK had a rather alarming call at 10pm saying we had not arrived, and they were closing soon.

I telephoned from the hotel we were actually at in Netherlands - and explained that it was for Saturday -not Friday. (I hadn't realised my error at this stage). The man I spoke to was incredibly abrupt - and very rude. I was trying to ask him if we can find a solution, and he just kept barking at me in a very argumentative and non productive manner. Then he hung up on me.

I was aware the error was mine, and was simply trying to find a solution - which most people can at least understand, and would try to help too. It's an unusual situation, and they handled it very badly. I telephoned back, and explained the error was on my part - and would they be able to accommodate us the next day instead? Most hotels would be civil and polite - even if no vacancies. The man was again incredibly rude - and very abrupt. He said he didn't know if he had any rooms vacant the next day. I asked him if he could possibly let me know - to which he replied "No - you call me if you want to know" - which was great.

In the end, I decided to find another 3x rooms in another local hotel - which was better. I didn't want to be exposed to such a rude, arrogant and unhelpful man - and I certainly didn't want to be at his mercy in terms of what he would charge us knowing we had no other option.

We were charged the full amount for a 'no show' which was a substantial amount of money for the 3x rooms. I know it was our fault - but he showed no willing in helping us find an alternative - and was simply one of the rudest hoteliers I have ever encountered. For this reason alone - I wouldn't want to stay here. And will never do so.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
jangli, Inhaber at Hotel du Commerce, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
It's a shame that you did not take us up on the offer to call us on the saturday morning to check again if rooms had become available.
When you called us you told us that you were certain to have a booking for the Saturday, yet it was for the Friday.
As we were fully booked we were then left with three empty rooms.
We certainly did not mean to be rude on the phone - it must be a language barrier.

101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Colne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here on an MG car meeting & found it very nice & clean & the service was excellent it would be better if the proprietors could rustle up a smile though!!!

Room Tip: Try not to get a room on the front its slightly noisey during the night with cars coming & going...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed one night on 12 September 2011, en route to Germany, traveling on a motorcycle from France (Burgundy region). My room was of a comfortable size, facing south/east (above the car park). It also had a small balcony but because of a constant drizzle, this was not the ideal place to relax over a drink.

The service, in my view was only average. I had the distinct impression the proprietor almost deliberately detached himself from the guests. Checking in was swift but checking out should be managed better. I had planned an early start at 07.30 the next morning and found reception unattended. Even more surprising, the entire establishment seemed deserted.
I had to wait until shortly after 08.00 before the reception was attended again. I should have raised this issue with the proprietor but did not.

As for the food, again no 'wow' factor to report here (vegetarian lasagne and salmon. This also applies for the breakfast (included in the room charge). I paid, including dinner and drinks, 130 Euros.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Leuven, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We booked a gastronomic weekend in this hotel wich means arriving on friday and have a 4 course meal and on saturday a gastronomic 6 cours meal with a house-appertif on top.
The hotel itself is not new but renewed frequently so we had a nice room and everything very clean. The owner and staff are friendly but you never get the feeling of being welcome.. it all seemed a bit 'we need to be friendly' in stead off 'we are friendly'... The breakfast was simple but ok expect for the awfull coffee. The main complaint for me was the food however. Altough we had on both evenings a good menu, it somehow let me down as not good enough, not up to date with modern cooking, all to simple and most certainly : you can not call this gastronomic... so because the food was the main purpose of our visit i feel i can only provide it with an average score. We had better for this kind of money. So not a bad feeling about our visit but all in all to simple to please us enough.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
huddersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We found this hotel to be very pleasant, clean and comfortable.It is family run and between them and their staff they appear to speak many languages. The hotel was very clean and many areas have been refurbished,our rooms were modern and comfotable, most rooms appear to have a small balcony overlooking the river.This family clearly reinvests their profits into their business,the swimming pool if very clean, again beautifully maintained there is even a small sun terrace complete with sun loungers.The food in the restaurant is varied and delicious. The breakfast is simply, and the staff helpful.
An all round pleasant experience.

Room Tip: ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Baarn, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I booked a week in this hotel trough a travel agency. This hotel is popular with tourists from Netherlands and Belgium. It's in the citycentre altough Clervaux is a very small place.The hotel might be less suitable for traintravellers because the railwaystation is a bit far from the hotel. I was allocated room 108 and the minor point is that this room (and many others) faces a parking lot which means noise from cars. There is also live-music on this parking lot on some days which might be disturbing if you need rest! My room was big but also simple. But it was clean too. And there is free WiFi, altough you must ask for an acces-code at the reception. Breakfast is simple but also good. The hotel is run by a friendly couple and they also speak dutch. The hotel has also wellness and fitness facilities but I didn't use them.

Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hotel du Commerce? Share your experiences!