“Excellent hotel, great service and a central location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Hafnia

Save Saved
You added Hotel Hafnia to your Saves list
Hotel Hafnia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 - 10 Aarvegur | PO Box 107, Torshavn, Streymoy 110, Faroe Islands   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Torshavn
Ontario, Canada
“Excellent hotel, great service and a central location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I was at the Hafnia with my 21 year old son for ólavsøku this summer. The service from Thomas and Lilia at the front desk was superb. They were a great source of local knowledge about what to see and do. Thomas went above and beyond to help us arrange a boat trip that turned out to be spectacular. The hotel is steps from the harbor and everything going on in Torshavn. There are numerous restaurants nearby. The hotel is clean and comfortable and the rooms seem to have been recently upgraded. The Faroe Islands are not a bargain destination but for me the Hafnia was good value and very enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
travla_9, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Hafnia, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you very much for your very kind review of Hotel Hafnia and particularly our reception staff. We are always delighted to see that our efforts to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible are appreciated.

We look forward very much to welcoming you to Hotel Hafnia during your next visit to the Faroe Islands...Takk Fyri!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

This hotel sits within a few short blocks to the harbor. The 6th floor has a upper deck that you can easily access to see almost a 360 view of the town.
The staff is very helpful and accommodating.
My only "complaint" is the elevator has room for one person at a time if you have large bags. I was on the 3rd floor so it took a while to get to the room because there were 12 of us in our group.
I would definitely stay here again and in fact would love to visit the country asap!!

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Hotel Hafnia's a nice place to stay, and I'd recommend it to someone needing a place to stay in Torshavn. It's well-located in Torshavn with just about everything you need within a 5-10 minute walk.

The great things about this hotel:
1. It has great customer service. The people at the front desk went out of their way to help us.
2. Its location.

The good things:
1. The rooms. They have everything you need; The only weak spot is the bathroom (mentioned later). They're kept clean and are fairly comfortable.
2. The breakfast. Again, everything you need.

The not-so-great things:
1. The noise. If your room faces the street, you'll hear every car that passes by and each post-party local returning home at night. Ear plugs are a must, especially if you want to leave your window open at night.
2. The bathrooms. Oy. Someone else mentioned this in an earlier review, but the comment didn't resonate with me until I walked into the bathroom and (at first) assumed there wasn't a shower or tub in the room. Turns out there was a shower, it's just that the whole bathroom was its stall. Yep, the room is the shower stall and the drain's just under the sink. This took some getting used to.

Even with the not-so-greats, this is a decent hotel and worthy of your next visit.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

Hotel accommodation in the Faroe Islands is very limited, but the Hafnia was ideal (and the two star designation seems inadequate). My room was typical of a Nordic hotel - clean, functional and smart. The hotel is located in the centre of Torshavn.

Be sure to book well in advance if you wish to stay in late July. I stayed during the national day holiday (29 July); the hotel was extremely busy (and many Faroese people descended upon Torshavn for the festivities).

• Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
Ski Municipality, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2008

The rooms was first class and the friendly staff tok well cear of us the hole stay. Recommended!!

• Liked — The friendly staff!
  • Disliked — The breakfast room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tromso, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

We stayed in Hafnia in Torshavn the better part of May and June 2007, and the staff took good care of us all the way. Example: When you stay this long, you need to wash some clothes after a while. The manager told me that the hotel washer room was being renovated, but hey! I could come to her house and use her washing machine! I have NEVER experienced hospitality like this any other place. The staff is outstanding, and when you stay as long as we did that is a must! Rating hotels by stars is obviously very difficult to who ever it is that does this. I have stayed in several different so-called four star hotels in London, but none of them are even close to Hafnia. I must say the food is good. The breakfast buffet is scrambeled eggs w/ bacon, soft boiled eggs, different kinds of cereals, yoghurt, bread, different kinds of spread, ham, salami, etc, juice, milk, coffe, tea. If you are english, and insisting on eating a grease-ball plate with fart-beans on the side, you will be disappointed. The lunch buffet is also good, consisting of several warm dishes (they differ from one day to another), and also a cold buffet. The manager also gave us a gift certificate to try out their seafood buffet, that they serve some of the days during the week. I loved it! I come from a fishing nation myselfe, and we are used to good seafood products. The chef in Hafnia has nothing to be ashamed of. Unfortunately we never tried dinner, so I couldn't tell you what it's like. Next time...? The rooms are good, nice and clean. We had to change rooms a couple of times during our stay, so I have seen several of them. If I could make one wish, it would have to be a larger bathroom. I did not stay in a doubble, maybe they have larger bathrooms? The location could not be better, next to the old town, nice pubs, bars and nightclubs within a few minutes walk. Shops, the harbour and restaurants are just around the corner. I didn't see any kids here, and for the most part the other guests were older than us (I'm 38). If you want to spend sometime exploring Færøyene, then Hafnia should be your hotel of choice. It's a small country, and it doesn't take very long to drive across the islands. After a day of hiking, boat trip or what ever you're doing here, Hafnia is a good place to rest before exploring the nightlife. If I ever come back to the Faroe Islands, I would stay here.

• Liked — Staff and location
  • Disliked — Small bathroom!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Hafnia? Share your experiences!