“A Cut above the Rest!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Malta Europe
“A Cut above the Rest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

If you take the time to leave the bustling centre of Valletta behind, you will encounter the Black Pig....a little restaurant where the menu is changed depending upon the season's produce and the chef's creativity simply leaves you wanting more. We have dined here a few times however this last visit was truly exceptional...The amuse bouche was an explosion of flavour, the complimentary leek and potato veloute was a heart warming culinary hug, the goats cheese starter was divine served with a pumpkin veloute...the mains of pork belly with local snails and loin of lamb were tender and juicy ... then a pre-dessert of cream and rice that was light and fluffy followed by miso and orange dessert. The cooking and imaginative use of uncharacteristic ingredients goes way beyond the norm and is definitely worth the premium one might pay. In previous posts hereunder there are references to 'the waiter'... I would also like to highlight the fact that Jesmond is not a waiter, but a gracious host who will welcome you each time with buckets of knowledge on both the ingredients and the wines and will go out of his way to ensure you and your guests have a special evening...highly recommended!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Real fine dining!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Great food great service great restaurant! Worth every cent! I was just trying to find a place to swim when I have found this small little restaurant on the back streets of valetta! When I have looked at the menu I knew this place was something special! Real luxury, real fine dining! Thank you!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“a gem of taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

International/European cuisine with a personal touch. This is our second time we dine at Black Pig and we are definitely coming back. It isn't for everyday dining though, since the price is higher than most other restaurants (at least in Valletta). But definitely worth every euro when you want to treat yourself or your close ones to something different.

The waiter is very helpful and knowledgeable about what is being served. Gives excellent help with wine-choice to amateurs like me.

If your palate wants something out of the ordinary - come here!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Tucked away in the backstreets of Valletta this was not the cheapest meal I have had here but is certainly the best so far and one of the best I have had for some time.
Real fine dining with a superb menu.
Not the busiest when we went but worth booking ahead.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sliema, Malta
“Taste buds awake!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I learned about Black Pig restaurant when I was walking back for my car in the lower part of Valletta. I was intrigued by the humour on the menu board (black pig & mini-homo sapiens...) and keen to try out samples of dishes on the menu.

I ended up going there with a client and I must say it was the best decision I could make. I've never tasted anything that was so delicate and rich at the same time. The pork and snails combo was genius while the home made ice cream was a great ending to our lunch.

I know I'll definitely go back to Black Pig not only for my business meetings but also for a romantic dinner with my husband since it is the right place for a quiet and concentrated lunch or dinner time where you can know and appreciate what you're eating.

Great service with attention to detail, excellent food and a touch of humour have made Black Pig my favourite of them all!

• Visited August 2013