“Visited twice.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 169 Restaurants in Valletta
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Reservations
Description: Palazzo Preca Restaurant is serving a variety of Mediterranean and Maltese cuisine such as pasta "mostly recomended with seafood", colourful salads, juicy Irish steaks, traditional cooked rabbit, beef olives ,snails in garlic and what we are known for, the fish and shellfish which comes fresh every day.We are open every day for lunch and dinner, accept Sunday evening and Monday closed all day.
Pittsburgh, PA
“Visited twice.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I ate lunch at Palazzo Preca twice on my recent trip to Malta.
The food was great, the staff was attentive and I felt the prices were good. I had the same dish on both my visits because it was so tasty.
Lunch was leisurely and unhurried. (Unlike eating in some restaurants in the US where everything is rushed.)
The manager was particularly attentive making sure my lunch was satisfactory. On my second visit, he introduced me to Ramona the chef.
Reservations may be advised for dinner - seems like the restaurant would be very busy at that time.
The decor is stunning.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Polish first
Canberra
“It was worth the second visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We enjoyed this restaurant so much early in our week in Valletta that we went back on our last night.
The service and environment were great, but the food is the crown jewel! A choice between 2 and 3 course 'formulas' and a la carte are available, and they have good selection of wines including memorable local vintages.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dundalk, Ireland
“Stunning Decor and food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We booked here on the back of the great Tripadvisor reviews and again we weren't disappointed. Would recommend booking as they turned a lot of people away.We got a lovely little table by the door and could sit and look at all the paintings on the wall and fab decor.They take out all the fish on a cart so you can pick what you want.My husband went for the trio of fish and i went for the Angus with hot pepper sauce.Food was beautiful and there's a great selection of wines too.The service was very friendly.Highly recommend here.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We took a recommendation from our hotel alongside all the rave reviews on Trip Advisor and chose Palazzo Preca for dinner on our final evening in Malta.
I wish we had gone elsewhere.
We booked a table, as we were coming quite late after going to the theatre. We expected the restaurant to be quite full of diners finishing their meals. When we arrived at 9.45, it was nearly empty.
The staff did not make us feel especially welcome. They were haughty, abrupt and cold (such a contrary from Aaron's Kitchen, who were so warm and welcoming), so it wasn't easy to relax and enjoy the final evening of our holiday.
I chose the razor clams for my starter, my husband selected the French bean soup. We were then shown the fresh fish options for our main course. The fish all arrived on a trolly and looked very good. However, a table of fellow theatre goers (the only other diners) who arrived a few minutes after us were also looking at the selection of fish, they selected a Grouper and I was pretty much "told" by one of the staff that I could have the 3rd portion from the same fish. No one talked me through what other fish were on offer, i wasn't given a choice on how it would be cooked (the other diners were). I have to confess, this rankled a little! I felt like an afterthought, less important than our neighbours.
The razor clams were ok - a bit rubbery, not as good as I expected given all the rave reviews on this site. My husbands soup was good.
Our mains arrived. My grouper was cooked in foil, perfectly enjoyable, but I regularly cook fish the same way at home, so I wasn't wowed by the exceptional cooking skills on display, and at 23 Euros - I want to be a little bit impressed.
My husband had the three types of grilled fish, which unfortunately wasn't terribly good. Salmon and swordfish were dry.
Desserts were a bog-standard tiramisu and I had some rather tired looking strawberries.
Everything we had was edible, but nothing more exciting than that.
Our expectations were high, but even if we'd come with a totally open mind, we would have been disappointed.
Maybe the staff were tired and just wanted to go home? Well - don't keep your kitchen open until 2230.
Maybe everyone had had a bad day? Not good enough I'm afraid - guests are paying for a memorable experience and great food. It's the restaurant's side of the bargain to deliver that.
When the bill came, it was incorrect. I had to ask for it to be adjusted. There was no argument but equally, no apology.... Our neighbouring table were also overcharged - so at least we were treated equally at that stage of the evening!.......

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles
“World Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

A faireyland setting as if you are eating in some one's palace. The service was good, but the food was great. Familiar dishes that were the best we had ever had.

Visited April 2013