“Great little romantic restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 155 restaurants in Valletta
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Newcastle-under-Lyme, UK
“Great little romantic restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Papannis is only a small restaurant and provides great food and service in a romantic setting. I'd certainly return when next in Valletta.

Visited July 2013

86% Recommend
Valletta, Malta
“Enjoying a good lunch with a dear friend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Last Saturday I had lunch with a friend, nothing unusual about that you might think, but as I had some errands to attend to in Valletta, I thought it would be a nice idea if I could combine my tasks in the City with a good lunch.

I like my lunches with Paul, our conversations have a habit of spinning off in almost any direction. One minute we might be discussing the survival chances of the Euro, the next we might be talking about the slow business during the Summer period. However, one of our most reoccurring themes is customer arrogance and demands, notwithstanding they are given outstanding service. I can hardly think of a single occasion where the subject has not come up.

Because of the intensity of our lunchtime conversations, the best restaurant for a meal with Paul is one where; the waiters are happy to accept that the food is not the center of attention but an important accompaniment, where service is impeccable and the ambient noise level is low. The food should be, high quality, fresh and not pretentious. PAPANIS Wine & Dine in Strait Street, Valletta met our requisites.

We did not bother going over the menu as the specials of the day were ample. Since we were tight with time, we decided to share two main specials. Our choice fell on Involtini of Seabass and one Giant Stuffed Squid (calamari). The Involtini were just super-delicious (100%), whilst the Stuffed Squid had a strong Brie flavour in its stuffing, but still tasted good (75%). There were other items on special like Ravioli with Rabbit Mince. I asked the restaurant patron if I could take some home with me to cook for my wife, he readily consented. My wife’s comments were overwhelming. She said and I quote: “these ravioli are exquisitely tasty and filling.”

So there you have it, anyone wanting to spend some time in Valletta make sure you choose a good restaurant. I feel Papanis will serve you with scrumptious food. Cost for two came up to €45 with tips. Bill included one bottle of sparkling water. No espresso coffee was available as the restaurant ran out of Illy Caffe.

• Visited July 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“What a little gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We dined here on impulse on our last but one day on holiday. The restaurant is tucked away down a side street, as are so many good food places in Valletta.

We were shown to our tables by a very friendly waitress, and were given the menus, and the specials were explained to us. Initially I wasn't sure what to have as a few of the dishes seemed to be similar to what we'd eaten elsewhere during the week.

However, we made our choices, and ordered a bottle of Maltese red, and settled down to enjoy the atmosphere in this little bistro - there is a small area upstairs, with extra seating downstairs, and the place was spotlessly clean. You can see the chef preparing the food as the kitchen area is at the end of the first floor seating area.

Our starters arrived and were absolutely delicious. They were simple - we'd both gone for the garlic mushrooms, which came served on lightly toasted bread. Doesn't sound great, but they were lovely - positively oozing garlicky butter and piping hot. There was plenty of bread available, and nothing was too much bother for the waitress.

Our main courses were huge - I'd opted for another chicken dish, and it had to be the best I'd had all week - the sauce was beautiful, flavoursome and plentiful without overwhelming the dish, and there must have been nigh on three fillets of chicken breast on my plate all told. This was one restaurant I didn't leave feeling hungry!

My OH had a beautiful dessert, and when he commented on how unusual it was, the waiter (apologies if he was not!) explained how in the winter they would make it with ricotta cheese, but as the heat is so great in summer, it is more ice cream in texture - a little snippet of information which was really nice to know. Anyway, it was lovely (yes, I pinched a bit!). The bill for the evening was very modest, especially considering the quantity of food which was served.

We very much enjoyed our evening here and it's one we'd definitely visit again.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Island of Malta, Malta
“Definite return guaranteed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had never bothered to try this resatuarant. What a pity. The fish we had was:
My fresh tuna 5/5 on all aspects
my wife's prawn stuffed 'filleted' bream had too many bones/spines (some were quite big).

The wine originally requested was not available on the day - things that happen
The grilled veg was excellent the baked potatoes a bit less.
The bread did not feel as fresh as expected from such a good resataurant.

Larne, United Kingdom
“Charming little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Visited Pappinis last night. And was pleasantly surprised by just how quaint this place is. There were 4 of us in the party and were shown to our table. Menus were handed out and the Specials of the Day explained. I must admit they all sounded exquisite. We made our choices and watched as the chef prepared them in the Open kitchen. Very Unique. 1st courses arrived promptly. Savoury filled Vol au Vents,Stuffed King Prawnd & Garlic Mushrooms. All very good. 2nd Course Fresh Grilled Tuna Steak,Rib Eye Steak,Stuffed Sea Breem & Chicken Papinnis. All Delightful. Desserts were shared Chocolate Fondant. All in all a pleasant Meal but only the following areas of observation. Our Table was very cramped when all Meals,wine etc were served suggest a Stand Alone Wine Cooler. Paper Tablecloths? We felt the Sea Breem could have been better filleted and finally the Chocolate Fondant was we believe Microwave. All in all minor details but to raise the Bar these are areas that need to be addressed to achieve that Goal.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere