“Wonderful holiday, great breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bayview Hotel & Apartments

Save Saved
You added Bayview Hotel & Apartments to your Saves list
Bayview Hotel & Apartments
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   143, The Strand, Sliema, Island of Malta GZR 1026, Malta   |
Ranked #14 of 33 hotels in Sliema
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful holiday, great breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have just returned from a week at the Bayview, Malta.
The staff were very friendly & helpful, and the hotel was lovely and clean.
It is in a good position for buses into Sliema & Valetta and the rest of this beautiful Island.
The views from the roof top pool area are wonderful.
The hotel maybe a little tired looking in places but it is 3* & I've been in a 4* that was worse.
Our room was large and comfortable with a powerful shower in a small en suite.
A problem here is the shower cubicle seems new but the door opens on to the basin which meant it didn't fully open, rather difficult if you are on the large size (I am not, but it was a tight squeeze for my husband).
There was adequate wardrobe and drawer space and a TV for which you pay a refundable 10euro deposit for the remote control. There's also a safe in the wardrobe 15euros for the week with an extra refundable 10euros for the key.
There were twin beds and a table and chairs as well as a dressing table with a large mirror above it.
The room was cleaned everyday & the beds made & plenty of towels that were changed regularly, the maid service was 1st class.
Our balcony with a side sea view was quite small & narrow & was quite sunny during the day from about 1130-330, there was only room to sit side by side on the plastic chairs & no table, but to be honest we were out most of the time or on the roof which was very sunny & probably could have done with some parasols to create some shade for some people, it wasn't particularly busy & I always managed to get a couple of sunbeds, there were plenty.
There's also a kiosk selling drinks & snacks.
I didn't use the swimming pool but I am told it was refreshing, there's also an indoor pool & a jaccuzzi.
The breakfast was shown as a Continental breakfast, I just expected some bread & croissants with maybe cheeses or cooked meats.
It was wonderful, there was a different sort of cheese each day (cheddar or feta etc) there was a different cold meat, and tomatoes & cucumber slices. Then there was a pot of fresh fruit salad, 2 different cereals, 3 different croissants and everyday there were baked beans & grilled tomatoes with either a fried egg & sausages one day, scrambled egg & bacon another day, boiled eggs another & there was plenty of it, but I haven't finished yet, there were lots of different breads & rolls butters, jams & preserves, a toaster & a grill. You could help yourself to teas or coffee & different fruit juices, hot or cold milk. The staff were very helpful & friendly.
At times usually about 9am there were a lot of guests standing around looking for tables as it seemed to get rather full at that time, breakfast was from 7-10am.
We didn't have an evening meal there so I cannot comment on that.
There is a cafe in the hotel, which we had early lunch in when we arrived, the omelettes were lovely & hubby had the cooked breakfast which he described as delicious.
My only regret is that we arrived at about 1130 am after being up since 4am travelling, we went to reception & were told check in was at 2pm and indicated a room where we could leave our luggage. I found out as I was checking out that it was possible for a charge to have early check in, this would have been very helpful had it been bought to our attention as we were travelling with my elderly parents (83 & 84years) who were very tired and in need of a lay down or at least a bit of private comfort, however we took refuge on the roof until it got too hot & then went to the cafe to while away the hours.
My father was taken unwell near to the end of the holiday and Mark on reception was very helpful explaining the cost of calling out a doctor (50euros) or if we went out the hotel & turned left up the side road there was a medical centre which was free of charge,he explained we needed to take his passport & EHIC and exactly where to go.
The staff in the medical centre were extremely helpful & friendly, the receptionist interrupting his conversation with local people to help me with filling in the appropriate form & explained where to wait, an excellent service & thank you to Mark for his brilliant directions & appropriate information.
Having read other reviews I'm glad we booked the hotel & not an apartment, the beds were comfortable but a bit squeaky which my husband found that the leg was loose so he managed to ram a bit of cardboard in it & stop the squeaking.
When my parents paid for their remote control for the TV they were given one that wasn't the right one for the TV, my husband went down to reception & asked that something be done. The next morning we again asked that it be sorted, again that evening and finally we asked to see the manager the next morning & asked if something could be done as they had not been able to use the TV for the last 2 days despite being reported about 5 times. Within 10 minutes the remote control was replaced with the right one and a bottle of wine was sent up to their room with a note of apology.
We liked Black & Gold Restaurant left and a short walk down from the hotel, next door to that was Tre Angel again a nice restaurant.
We met Caroline who worked for Supreme travel (the yellow kiosk) by the crossing left out the hotel. She gave us a discount on the open top bus tours & free harbour boat trip & vintage bus trip too. She also advised of Sliema Wanderers football club (near Zara) where the food was wonderful & very reasonable. Another restaurant Caroline recommended was Le Aroma in the Roma hotel near to Next clothes shop heading towards the Preluna, a fantastic meal with a help yourself salad bar & because we ordered before 730pm a 15% discount off the bill.
I would definitely go back to Malta & I would stay at The Bayview again as our experience was very good value for money.

Room Tip: We asked for low floor side sea view - we were on 4th floor. The lift was quite slow. We could see t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
BayviewHotelMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Bayview Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your detailed review about your stay. Once again, we are sorry for the inconvenience in regards of the remote control, but we are utmost happy that all of you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Your remark is unfortunately true, there are some 4 star hotels in the area with lower standards than we are offering for 3 star rates. The management is always aiming to improve the product while keeping an eye on delivering high standards.

Thank you again for choosing the Bayview, we hope to welcome you next time!

934 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Groomsport Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have just returned from a week long stay in the Bayview Hotel. Forget whatever bad reviews you have read about this hotel as they are not true. Can only think that the people who have given this hotel bad reviews are expecting to stay in the Hilton on a budget price. The room we were given on the third floor was clean spacious and had a nice balcony overlooking a quiet side street. The staff were all very friendly and could not do enough for you. There is a great coffee shop- Oblico- attached to the hotel and also just a couple of doors down is a restaurant called Incredible Asia where we had a great meal.. This is an excellent restaurant and well worth a visit. Overall we had a great stay in Malta and this was down in no small measure to the Hotel in question. Just a word to all you negative reviewers out there - if you want to experience 5 star quality then pay 5 star prices. Dont knock a hotel that is registered as 3 stars for not delivering what you clearly are too tight to pay for in the first place!

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, your recommendations and also for the proper clarification you have stated.

We are happy that you have enjoyed your holiday in Malta, staying at the Bayview and using our facilities.

We are also glad that you have recognized the outstanding value that the Bayview provides for money.

Thank you for your stay and your time to submit your kind review.

You are always welcome in the Bayview.

The Management team of the Bayview Hotel & Apartments
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We booked to stay at baysview apartments. It was a good 5minute walk from the actual hotel (where the pool etc are). However, it was good exercise! If you are less mobile it would not work.
The pool is on top floor, offering beautiful views of the bay.
Apartment was v spacious and we had a sea view from our balcony.
Staff at the hotel were very friendly. Speak to the English guy on tour desk. He was fab and knew a lot!!

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review, we are utmost happy that you were satisfied with the Bayview Hotel. Indeed, the recently added Sea View Apartments are spacious and very well finished.

Also thank you for highlighting the particular person, your recommendation will come helpful to our guests.

Thank you for your stay, we are looking forward to see you again!

Leamington Spa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

If this was the only hotel/apartments in Malta then I wouldn't go back to Malta. I can not understand why they would put a lone women in a bedsit away from any help should she need it. I walked up a dark street every night and then had to walk to the back of the building on the ground floor. Maybe it's to make you pay more for a better room which I beleive has been said before.
ecabs are the best way to get around, they have set prices for zones and it can cost as little as 8 e to go to St J bay from the Hotel.
If you go with the white cabs on the street they will make up the price by the look of you. They wanted 20 e to take me back to my collection point when it only cost me 8 e in the morning. Don't use the white cabs.

Malta it's self was wonderfull and you can enjoyed a lot of things like bus and boat trips. I would say go to malta but do take on-board the commnets shown on here.
I didn't find the staff in the hotel very helpfull and is one of the reasons I would not stay at this hotel again.

The curtains had seen better days, holes in them and both had ends coming off the rail. The whole place could do with a make over. The most important thing is add some Security.

The first night when I turned on the bathroom light was to see bugs running around the floor. Left the light on all night so they wouldn't come back out and then moved everything up on the table and counter. The air con leaked so the water run down the wall pass the TV so everything I left on the counter was wet in the morning. You do get what you pay for so the next time I'll book a better hotel.

Room Tip: Confirm what apartment you will be given before you go. It is a bit of a walk if you have problems o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
West Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Staff are nice – the Hotel and Apartments could do with a few improvements
Booked a one bedroom apartment with balcony and was initially given a musty smelling, thin sliver of an apartment in a run-down building in the back streets, with an opaque window at one end and a very small courtyard/drying area at the other. The funny thing is – I had read another review where this had happened so I wonder how regularly this occurs? It was quite late at night, the receptionist was helpful but there were apparently no other rooms available so he promised to sort it out next day. So we spent our first night in this really grotty room (I hardly slept) but at least we were moved the next day to another apartment, which although basic and the beds and pillows really needed to be replaced, was acceptable. It wasn't the kind of place you’d like to hang around in for too long but that was OK because we just used it as a base. It was easy to get around by bus. We both bought a weekly bus pass for €12 and travelled to various places, Mdina, Gozo (ferry costs €4.65) Valetta several times and just up the road to St Julian’s for a chill out day. We had a fantastic time overall. There were lots of cultural and historical places of interest. We especially liked St John’s Co-Cathedral in Valetta – it was awesome.

We recommend the Maharajah Indian Restaurant, which is a short walk to the right as you come out of the Bayview Hotel. The food was delicious and the portions were huge.

I tried the hotel rooftop pool once. The indoor pool was really a giant bath. The outdoor pool was a reasonable size and fairly pleasant to swim in even though it was October.

Free Wi-fi in the Apartments is good (although it wouldn't connect in the substandard apartment we were in initially).

We would go to Malta again but would choose another place to stay. The Bayview Apartments were reasonably priced and the staff were pleasant but it was basic accommodation which could do with a few improvements.

Room Tip: The apartments are quite a distance uphill from the hotel and 7602 is like something from a horror f...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
BayviewHotelMalta, Guest Relations Manager at Bayview Hotel & Apartments, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

At first, thank you for your taking your time to share your experiences.

We are extremely sorry that your stay at the Bayview Hotel and Apartments was not completely satisfying. Notes have been taken of the comments you have made in regards of the factors you found disappointing.

Overall, we are happy that you found the outdoor pool enjoyable and you have found the Bayview a reasonably priced hotel and found our island a great place to be.

In case you return to Malta for another holiday, we would be glad to arrange a room or apartment that will meet your expectations.

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

After booking 2 rooms at this hotel and paying £2000 was disappointed to say the least when arrived and found our double room and our friends single all over looked concrete walls now while I appreciate we can not all have sea views I think I can speak for us all when I say concrete views for 2 weeks are unacceptable ,did go down and complain and was told that they would move us next day ,which they did to an apartment away from the hotel and up a side street and while the apartment was lovely and had a beautiful large roof terrace I did not book an apartment I booked a hotel !!!
The travel rep we did see at all the whole 2 weeks not a good sign
Tried the restaurant once that was enough to never try again for the size of the hotel the dining room was ridiculously small and inadequate so ate out every morning and evening which was 500 euros we hadn't thought we would be spending on food !!!!
Will be writing to Thomas cook and asking for an explanation as this was the worst hotel / apartment have ever stayed in
Was never booked for an apartment but an hotel and I think the last straw was the bed the 2 singles which were ment to be a double we're atrousious the pillows were disgusting full of holes and foam falling out and dirty the sheets never fitted the bed and it was just horrible
The only good thing about the apartment was the cleaner Alena who was lovely and I will not go back there I will go back to Malta but will going to the fortina instead

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

We are extremely sorry that your stay at the Bayview Hotel was not to your expectations. If only, we were aware that you are not happy with the apartment, we would be pleased to show you other rooms.

Your points has been taken of the comments you have made. Your feedback is much appreciated as this assists us in continually improving on the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests.

We would like to express our sincere apologies for the incidents which have occurred during your visit to Malta and for the inconvenience this has invariably caused you.

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

With exception to the breakfast staff who were very kind, I've had better service at hostels. We stayed for 4 days while my husband was working. I managed my baby buggy and whatever groceries I had purchased for the day and more than a few times staff members watched me struggle to open the door and push my baby buggy through. Sometimes they were just on the stoop smoking and sometimes walking out before me and let the door slam in my face.
Front desk woman seemed nice but not very helpful or bright. She couldn't even call me a cab properly and made me wait for 20 minutes in front of her desk with a baby before actually addressing me though nobody was there.
reading the other reviews makes me think the rooms vary quite a bit. Ours was horrible.
We had to switch room because the first room was terribly depressing. It looked into a wall and the ceiling paint was falling off. The sheets on the lopsided springy mattresses wouldn't stay on and the air conditioning seemed to only be circulating musty hot air.
Our second room was much better (brighter and larger) except for the fact that if I opened the drapes the neighbours across the street were always staring in at me. Still a horrible bed.
The breakfast was a little redeeming, though if you stay several days it varies very little.
the shower power was good. there are no extras at this place. I'm surprised they give you soap.

Room Tip: It's probably worth paying for the sea view. I'm guessing they are better. Or for 10 more Eu...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

We are extremely sorry that your stay at the Bayview Hotel was not to your expectations and note has been taken of the incidents you have mentioned.

Your feedback is much appreciated as this assists us in continually improving on our product and services we have to offer to our guests.

We would appreciate it if you could kindly send an email to sales@bayviewmalta.com so as to allow us the opportunity to change your negative perception and offer a more pleasant stay for the next time.

Bayview Hotel & Apartments

Been to Bayview Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!