“Initial reaction was worried but turned out excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Europa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   138 Tower Road, Sliema, Island of Malta SLM 08, Malta   |
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Sliema
Portadown, United Kingdom
“Initial reaction was worried but turned out excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was worried that I had went too budget on arrival. The hotel is what the photos show but there is a lot they don't! If pay the extra for a sea view even if not staying in the room much. Inspecting the room I should have remembered I was checked into a 2 star not 4 star but still I was a bit concerned. After the 1st night and a good sleep I was content that there was nothing really to worry about as was superficial. The window that opened into a shaft and not really outside was I suppose the only issue. We got clean towels every day. Beds made everyday and room tidied up. The staff were all really smiley and friendly too. For the price we paid £91 for 7 nights I really think it was a bargain. Excellent value and really worth every penny. Maybe if pay a few pounds more for another star or too in a less central location but otherwise it's a great base to be. I would certainly recommend anyone on a budget that this is a great place for little money to stay. Spend the money on the holiday not the accommodation. So much to see and do!

Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is a jackpot. Rooms are beautiful (especially rooms eith sea view) and clean, the breakfast is delicious and copious. And the staff is the most helpful and kind stuff who we ever met. (Last day our rental car is broken and the manager of the hotel was so helpful. He called the rental company so many times and argued with them instead of us. Hea really help us on everything.)
They cleaned the rooms every day and we got clean towels every day too. Plus the location is very great. The sea side is really beautiful in this place.

This hotel is highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: Rooms with sea view are amazing. It's worth to pay a little more for this.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Fish Hoek, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

It was the tail end of the tourist season on Malta, so I had been told and as such, hotel rates would have dropped accordingly. Sliema seemed pretty central to most amenities and from a Swathe of hotels that face the Sliema waterfront, I chose the Europa. I was not disappointed. Well positioned and an easy walk down to the busy Valletta Ferries Waterfront and to restaurants and cafes, north along the 'Promenade', I found the front office staff helpful and informative. My room wasn't sea facing, but for a little over $US50.00 per night, I wasn't to fussed. Room was serviced every day and for an extra US$6.25 (or Euro 5.00) you get a decent continental breakfast.
I would certainly recommend it for the budget traveller.

Room Tip: Simple really. If you want a sea facing room, you'll pay a bit more.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 8 days and I must say it was totally fine. We were paying 20 euro per day p/p and we didn't want or expected anything to be "over the top". Our room was simple, the shower was nice and clean, bed big and comfortable- no cockroaches or spiders or anything like and the beach was right outside the door! Happy days!! The only thing is that the late bar is located on the ground floor and even though we stayed on the 3rd floor we could hear the music very clear but only on Saturdays.The airport is an hour away by bus which costs 1.50 per day and it operates every hour. If you want to get a taxi to get to the airport be prepared to pay 30 euro! We took the X2 bus which goes to the airport and got there in 45 minutes. Taxi could have been faster but we didn't want to pay 30 euro so left the hotel with plenty of time on our hand.. We enjoyed our stay and if you want a cheap hotel by the beach with nice shower and simple room, friendly staff and all the restaurants near by then look no further!!

Room Tip: Most rooms are NOT located on the beach side which means that the window in your room will face the...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

This hotel is one of the best hotels in Sliema because of its staff. We had the unfortunate mistake of staying next door at the Miranda apartments (also owned by Hotel Europa). After a night of cockroaches and searing heat, we came running to the manager and begged him to upgrade us to a room at the hotel. The manager found us rooms and gave it to us for a minimal charge although we had already paid in full for the Miranda apartments. He was very accommodating and pleasant. The room was nice and clean. I would give it 5 stars if they had air conditioning and the bathroom was a bit more updated but I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2014

I am not one to be difficult about anything, I am very easily satisfied with a warm bed and a nice shower. I know europa hotel is one for student or travelers looking not to spend a lot but even then there should be a line of what is acceptable. Upon arrival there were no problems, i got my keys and they told me the room number. When entering the room it wasn't anything special, sad part was that the window was facing the inside of the hotel. Not very important but still a shame. The bed I slept in was alright, even though I had specifically asked for a double and got two singles. For some reason it was not possible for me to get another room even though I didn't get the feeling the hotel was full since it was winter. The shower looked like the cleaners only spray some water around and leave again. I didn't feel like it was hygienic.
I think it's a real shame because I did hear some good stories from friends before. I guess you get what you pay for even though I think I payed too much.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

My visit to this most convenient hotel in Malta's classy beachside and harbour side suburb was not a disappointment. I was greeted by Dino, who was, true to other's experience, a helpful and professional front desk receptionist. My room on the top floor did not face the ocean as I had hoped but then I had booked late and had not paid top dollar. Despite the complaints by several other readers, I found that my room suited my needs, the bathroom was adequate for me and the hotel staff very friendly. The location was ideal for me, not far from a good supermarket, a clean and rocky beach and restaurants nearby, with access to Malta's cheap bus service a short step away. Granted it is not 3 star accommodation and I was probably unfortunate to be on the same floor as some raucous Italian and French teenage students who seems to think that they were the focus of their own world (and this is nit the fault of the hotel) but overall I would return to this hotel. The management are clearly making an effort to upgrade the building. Breakfast was good value at 5 Euros. Thankyou to Dino and Lawrence especially

Room Tip: Suggest a beach view room would be best
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Been to Europa Hotel? Share your experiences!