“great location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Sliema
Sofia, Bulgaria
“great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The accommodation is absolutely normal, prices are low, location is great. If you don't need anything more than clean bed and normal bathroom - this is your place.
The staff is very friendly and everyone is ready to give you any kind of advises - for landmarks, transport, food, etc.

Room Tip: rooms with view to the sea are great
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Gdynia, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Just came back and I have to say that I was worried because of those negative reviews but they were't true. I was staying with my boyfriend for 4 nights in a room 307 and it was really nice. Just like in the pictures. Nice furniture, cool bathroom, cleaning everyday. Perfect. The only thing that bothered us was no air contitioning but with working fan it was fine.
Perfect hotel for 2 not demanding students :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Difficult to know where to start really.. Having just returned, (16th June), from The Europa Hotel and having stayed for 21 nights and having read most of the reviews and as a single traveller thought I would not expect too much, that was, for me, the best way forward, bearing in mind, I was very apprehensive, AFTER, I had made the booking..
So, having bought a ticket for the transfer bus from the airport, (with me being the only one getting off here), (stay calm !!), I arrived around 11.30am, to be greeted by the manager Dino, thoroughly nice guy, very courteous, to be told my room was ready and shown upstairs by a French girl who was here on some kind of learning thing, (in fact they have a lot of these girls helping out). My room (502) 5th floor bit small but fantastic sea view, very basic, small shower/ toilet, ceiling fan, flat screen TV, clean bed and towels and a suitcase stand, duly unpacked, first impressions not too bad....
So, instead of me telling a story of my time here, lets get down to the "nitty gritty" .
The shower is a question of very fine tap tuning, the water pressure is very poor, but it works, you need to let the water run, because initially the hot water is "brown", did notice a few ants by the window, which were dealt with, (sorry, critter lovers)..I did notice the cleaner in the room next door (503), so went in and saw this room was huge and a bigger shower room, so I went to see the manager Dino, to ask to be moved, he told me that was possible the following Wednesday, so I moved and he only charged me 5 euro per night for the remaining 12 nights..result !!
Alas, apart from the few ants, brown water, I now had to deal with some small cockroaches, (small means to me they are breeding somewhere), not pleasant...I went down to see a guy on reception to tell him and he gave me some stuff called "pif-paf" which promptly dealt with them, (sorry critter lovers).
The rooms are also very hot at night, if your brave enough to leave your window open, then be prepared to be bitten, quite a few mozzies about..
Breakfast, is the same every day, I`m not big on tomatoes and cucumber for breakfast, but there is toast, marmalade, cereals, cheeses, hard boiled eggs, cake and a tea/coffee machine, there is water and orange squash, (not juice).
There are other vending machines there for drinks, crisps, snacks around 1 euro each, if you get a bit peckish..
I`m not sure how many rooms in this place, but there are 15 rooms all with sea views, the higher floors are better, because the building also houses a bar called "One38 bar", which come Fri/Sat has their music pretty loud, so the higher the better, the other rooms (which I looked in at a few) have windows which look out on to some kind of ventilation shaft. I could not imagine staying in one of these rooms, although having said that, you only get what you pay for and this place is cheap, for my top floor, sea view room for the 3 weeks cost me around £36 per night, with breakfast...not too bad.
The area is busy, lots of restaurants, bars and your not too far from St. Julians and Paceville, where there are lots of clubs, buses are quite good also, although I hired a car for my time there.
To summarise, they are clearly doing work on this place, there were builders in every day I was there, and it needs it, I had clean towels daily, the bed linen was clean and changed frequently, I found the staff to be helpful and polite, the manager, Dino was exceptional. There is quite a lot of work that needs to be done to bring it up to a "star" level yet, and that will take some time, perhaps in a couple of years it will be better, I did have a problem with the toilet flush and the noisy ceiling fan, both issues were dealt with promptly, air conditioning would bring some value to this place.
If you are a single person, then staying here shouldn't be a problem, after all the less money you spend on a room, means you have more money to spend elsewhere...! If you are looking to impress your girlfriend.... forget it..! !
So, big question, would I stay there again, do you know what...I`m just not sure, this is just a "marmite hotel" (like it or hate it), sorry, I know that's not much help, it just depends on the individual, I think I have outlined most of the issues, my only advice is keep your expectations low....very low...

Room Tip: Sea views, are the only rooms to stay in and high floors, 4th and 5th, so,401,402,403,501,502, best...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is a long review, but I think an accurate window on how this place is run, so read.

I was going to give this hotel a two until the last night.
The room we got was awful. The bed was noisy and uncomfortable but it seemed to have all we really needed for forty euro a night so didn't really complain.
We left out breakfast - most places in Malta only really offer ham and cheese so we gave it a miss and went about our business.
That night we came back and the floor was a bit wet. This was the first problem.
No air con, non existent WiFi, loose toilet seat (that I repaired myself as best I could) and the door lock didn't work properly. All things to shrug off on an economy but easy fixes that need to be addressed.
That morning the puddle returned. I don't know if the staff talk to each other or not but at least the cleaner would have spotted this by now. Went out for the day and discussed reviewing and posting as a two with the girlfriend.
Came back late to a different concierge, an older fella that was quite dismissive and went to our room to find all the ceiling tiles in the bathroom had collapsed.
Things happen. It can't be helped sometimes - but when I reported it I was defensively told there were no other rooms available.
Calmly I agreed that we would be fine to use another rooms facilities after the occupants had checked out in the morning as we only needed the sink to brush our teeth.
That night we 'slept' to the sounds of constant dripping and a creaky bed.
When we got up we went downstairs and the concierge (nice guy called Dino, who was probably the hotel's only saving grace) already knew that we needed another room and went about getting one cleaned for us.
There were a lot of people that looked like manager-owner types and staff that didn't seem to know what they were doing. We were charged 4 euros for a bottle of coke and a bottle of water. Small ones.
Nobody offered us breakfast even though it is just ham and cheese.
Dino gave us the keys for a much nicer sea view room up at the front and we made our way there to get a shower in and check out.
We were up there for about an hour and during that time we were disturbed thrice by the cleaner asking when we were going to leave and called by a woman at reception.
On our way out (before the 11am checkout time) the cleaner pushed passed us at the elevator regardless of our bags and the unstoppable force of her cleaning trolley.
After some consideration it was decided to ask for a refund for our second night.
Dino dutifully told us he did not have the authority to do so and enquired about offering complimentary breakfast (ham and cheese). We declined and he gave us head office details.
Don't go here. If you do, offer Dino a job. He doesn't deserve to put up with what he does there now. Bless.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Me and my boyfriend got a double room with sea view and we didn't regret. The hotel is located exactly where the sun rises and it was one of the most beautiful views we ever had. Staff were very friendly, breakfast good and big size room. Few things to point out was Wifi is charged, no fan in the room (since there is no air conditioner either) and double bed is actually two joined single beds. But it's a very good deal, since you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was very disappointing. On arrival the reception worker was polite and pleasant, the downstairs of the hotel looked nice and welcoming. Upon arriving in the room my opinion quickly changed. The shower did not have a bracket to hold it, which meant holding it whilst s have showering, the temperature control varied between either scolding hot or freezing. The room itself smelt very poor, almost sewage like. There was mould growing in the corners of the room. The bed was uncomfortable noisy, and two singles pushed together, not the double that was ordered! The door and walls were also very thin giving a very noisy stay. It was a cheap hotel so I wasn't expecting much but there was basic essentials I would expect at any price!

• Stayed May 2014
Bordeaux, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Nous avons été très déçus de cet hôtel et ne sommes restés qu’une nuit sur 4 réservées. Malgré la promesse de remboursement du directeur, 4 mois après nous attendons encore. L’homme et sa parole ! Pas de réponses à nos mails ! La partie où nous étions, soit les 3/4 de l’hôtel, est en voie de pourrissement et les photos trompeuses de présentation doivent dater de l’ouverture au siècle dernier. La réalité était tout autre : 4 petits lits version hôpital ou camp de scouts dans la chambre pour un couple ( !), plafond et murs très tachés avec une partie du plafond soulevée, une seule petite fenêtre donnant sur un mur et d’autres fenêtres de salles de bains à moins de 1 m donc lumière artificielle en permanence, double rideau sale et troué sans rideau, une chaleur insoutenable et un ventilateur prêt à tomber . Impossible de laisser la fenêtre ouverte pour avoir de l’air, draps trop petits pour le lit, oreillers avec des taches, ainsi que des cheveux comme si les draps n’avaient pas été changés. Odeurs de renfermé, baignoire et lavabo avec moisissures, pas de décoration, lumière du couloir en permanence sous la porte d’entrée. Aucune intimité. Dans la pièce internet, 2 postes sur 6 en fonction et tout le linge sale en permanence présenté sur un roll, murs sales avec des trous; petit déjeuner très médiocre avec produits bas de gamme, accueil moyen. Le tout s’apparentant à des prestations de marchand de sommeil, il vaut mieux passer son chemin. Hôtel à sortir des fichiers. Les photos de notre court séjour et un dossier vont être adressés aux autorités touristiques Maltaises.
We were very disappointed by this hotel and stayed only one night on 4 reserved. In spite of the promise of refund of the manager 4 months later we still wait. The man and his word! No responses to our emails !The part where we were, that is 3/4 of the hotel, is on the way to decay and the misleading photos of presentation have to date the opening in the last century. The reality was quite different: 4 little beds version hospital or boy scouts' camp in the room for a couple (!), a ceiling and walls very stained with a part of the ceiling lifted, a single small window giving onto a wall and other windows of bathrooms unless 1 m thus artificial light permanently, double curtain dirty and pierced without curtain, an unbearable heat and a ventilator ready to fall. Impossible to leave the window opened to have of the air, too small sheets for the bed, the pillows with spots, as well as hair as if sheets had not been changed. Musty smells, bathtub and washbasin with molds, no decoration, light of the corridor permanently under the front door. No intimacy. In the internet room 2 posts on 6 in function and all the dirty linen permanently presented on a roll, dirty walls with holes; have breakfast very mediocre with down-market products, average welcome. The whole being similar to slumlord's services, it is better to cross its path. Hotel to be taken out of files. The photos of our short stay and a file are going to be sent to the Maltese tourist authorities.

Room Tip: Pas de conseil.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Europa Hotel? Share your experiences!