“Short break in Sliema” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Sliema
Mirano, Italy
“Short break in Sliema”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

We spent three nights at this hotel in February and paid 25 Euros per night for a twin room with balcony/seaview and breakfast. The room was clean, of reasonable size and the bathroom was ok. Towels were changed daily, bars of soap were provided but no hairdryers - we had our own but I believe you could borrow one if necessary. Breakfast was simple with some hot and cold food but quite acceptable considering the low price paid. There were shops, restaurants, transport and tours available all right near the hotel and you could walk to the ferries in about ten minutes. There's a lot of building going on in Sliema in general and there seem to be cranes everywhere but this is a good base for a short break if you don't need frills or luxury.
The staff were helpful and we really can't complain about anything - it was incredible value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Sliema Chalet is a budget hotel, rooms small but clean.

Breakfast plentiful and acceptable, hot food changed regularly.

If you are thinking of hiring a car, don't; Malta has yet to invent car parks; bus stop right outside hotel, cost E2.60 per day unlimited use, weekly tickets available.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

My husband booked this hotel for just one night on our way to Libya. On our arrival I asked to see the room before we carried our luggage up. It was as expected, smelly, the curtains and bedspreads were desperate for a clean. The bathroom had mould all around the bath and the floor and also smelled, there were rust marks in the sink n bath and the shower curtain was grotty. I asked for another room and the guy on reception said it was the best one, but he gave us keys to another which was as bad. As my son was hungry, I reluctantly agreed to stay in the last one, n left our luggage there to go out for food. As I could not face going back to that room,we had already paid for, we walked into a hotel not far from The Chalet, viewed a room and decided to stay there. After collecting our luggage from the Chalet, the guy on reception asked why we were going, " is there something wrong with the room" I really think he thought the room was ok or, they just don't ever check them. This hotel is cheap and if you are not particular about hygiene then you will be ok here, it's in a good position and has nice views. I can't comment on the food as we didn't eat there. The cleaners need lessons to do their job properly, and staff need lessons in customer relations. I would not recommend this hotel at all and would never go back there, even if it were free. The lesson here is " you get what you pay for" in this case, £21 for a triple room, per night, should have rung at least one bell with my better half.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

This hotel has the dubious distinction of the second-worst hotel stay I've encountered in my travels. To start, I'd arranged an airport pickup to the hotel. I arrived on time, and spent some time waiting, but no one ever showed up. Since I've been to Malta before, it wasn't that I was unfamiliar with the place and taking taxis, it just felt off to a bad start of my vacation. Although I asked about this, I never heard from anyone what had happened to my ride.

Upon check-in, I was given the promised upper floor room (ensuite) with private balcony for the promised 27 Euros/night. My first morning at breakfast, I went down about 9 AM (breakfast was served until 10). There was hardly any of the hot items (baked beans, sausages, scrambled eggs) left. Another couple came in minutes after I did and when they asked for more eggs were told it was "finished". So much for the hot breakfast. There were several dry cereal choices, ham, cheese, bread, "juice" (from powder) and instant coffee. The staff was just OK, they needed to pay more attention to wiping down the tables in the breakfast room as they were sticky every day.

My second day, I left the hotel by 10 AM for sightseeing and when I came back at 4:30, my room hadn't been cleaned. I asked at the front desk; they said no one was available to clean but they could get me clean towels. I said I wanted a clean room. They indicated someone would be in a 6 PM, and I could have it cleaned then, and indeed, when I got back from dinner the room was finally clean. Also, not sure if the heat and cooling was working, as there were some cooler days and no matter what I did I couldn't seem to get my heat high enough to be comfortable.

After I talked to a local, I decided to switch hotels and not spend the rest of my 12 nights at this place. If you're on a tight budget, this might be acceptable if you get a very low rate. I didn't have issues with cleanliness per se, except the sticky breakfast tables. The location is decent, across from the seafront promenade, and near restaurants and shops, as well as the bus and ferry terminals in Sliema. But, with other lower priced options available, I'd stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a seaview room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

As i paid only 13 euro's per night for a 5 night stay (Nov 2011) it seems churlish to give the Chalet Hotel a bad review but here goes.

First the plus points: Location - excellent, on the Sliema sea front handy for the Sliema shops and St Julians, the cost is the main plus point, the Chalet is fairly cheap my 5 day stay totalling 70 euro. My room was clean, breakfast was included and not bad with a continental option or fried option.

Minus points: Reception staff seemed bored and uninterested, usually sitting behind the desk reading a book. My room lacked tea/ coffee making facilities and there were no toiletries in the bathroom apart from soap, no shampoo /shower gel etc. Internal rooms also have no view whatsoever. Due to the low cost the hotel seems to attract a younger clientelle and with Marble floors sound echoes in the hotel, i was disturbed by slamming doors, shouting, music and people running in the corridor, i found it difficult staying in during the evening due to my young neighbours! The TV was a small portable set (remotes only available from reception) with reception restricted to 3 channels - CNN, BBC WS and an arabic channel - ok if you like rolling news. My toilet also was unreliable and failed to flush on occasions. A wall safe was fitting but the lock cost extra.

Overall, if you're travelling on a budget the Chalet is ok and nicely located, but if you can afford it splash the cash and go somewhere better, there are many better hotels in the area than this. I will not be staying at The Chalet on future visits to the lovely island of Malta.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a balcony and a sea view but face north - and there are strong northerly win...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Alesund, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

The staff was friendly and helpful. Walking distance to bus stop,boat sightseeing,shops and restaurants. Had sea view room,good for the breeze when it was hot.Didnt hear much traffic noise when balcony door was closed.
I think there should be a wider selections of food at the breakfast table or maybe change the menu a few times a week.
For me it was worth the money,didnt want to pay for an expensive hotel when i only need a breakfast and some rest/sleep at night.

Room Tip: Book a room with seaview will allow you to take advantage of the cool breeze.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

The hotel is in a fantastic location. Ok, it could do with some slight improvements, but if you want somewhere where you can shower, get a good nights sleep, have fresh towels every morning, a decent breakfast and be in a prime location, then its good value... oh, and the staff... all of them.... are really nice!

I just want to add that they should change their online picture of the roof terrace with the swimming pool, as there is no swimming pool, I mainly used the roof terrace as it was awesome to catch the sun; however, my one main negative, there is building works going on literally next to the hotel by the roof terrace so it can be noisy and messy, they (builders) should put up some plastic covering.

I don't consume dairy products so they kept my soya milk in the main fridge in their kitchen and brought it out for me every morning, which they didn't have too.

Great place to stay for couples and single people, I was a single woman who travelled alone.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Sliema Chalet Hotel? Share your experiences!