“A hotel with character” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Victoria Hotel

You added The Victoria Hotel to your Saves list
The Victoria Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gorg Borg Olivier St, Sliema, Island of Malta SLM 1807, Malta   |
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Sliema
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lund, Skåne Län, Sweden
“A hotel with character”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

"The house has got character" is probably what would've been said about the interior of this hotel had it been in one of the many television house hunting shows. Great location in the middle of Sliema with some 500 meters (= 1640ft) to the Valetta ferry and about the same to the wonderful waterfront promenade where is offered restaurants in excess.

Clean and quiet rooms (was staying on the 5th floor) with a small balcony which in all honesty only offered but a glimpse of a view of parts of the Mediterranean. Nice helpful front desk staff and a pretty decent breakfast (but really; machines for juice...?).

The AC in my room worked just fine yet as with many AC's it was a bit noisy. I can't recall if Wifi was offered for a fee, yet in my room it was actually possible to make use of the free Wifi of a neighboring hotel. A small safety deposit box in the room would have been convenient.

One of the elevators was out of order for a half a day, yet this didn't matter much since there are two of them. Said elevators reach the top floor where an outdoor pool - shared with sister hotel 'The Palace' - with a magnificent skyline view is located. The top floor also hosts the highly recommended Temptasian restaurant (for which the front desk staff happily helps you get a reservation).

All in all a pretty nice hotel that offers decdent value for the money. I would most likely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rev_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear SirPurple,

First and foremost, on behalf of The Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for having honoured us with your presence. We would also like to thank you for finding the time to submit your review on Trip Advisor, hence sharing your experience with other viewers.

We are delighted to hear that your experience at The Victoria was a pleasant and positive one and that the hotel managed to meet your expectations. Such comments surely entice our motivation to persevere in our quest in achieving the guest full satisfaction. The hotel has embarked on a series of projcts, hence to maintain its standards and reputation. As far as your comment re the wifi connection is concerned,this is extended on complimentary basis in the hotel's lobby. The hotel will also be investing in a very high technology system, thus wifi access will be available throughout. Guest satisfaction is a matter which we take at heart because our philosophy is "guest comes first".

Whilst assuring you of our best attention at all times, we sincerely look forward to the pleasure of re welcoming and hosting you once again at The Victoria.

charles.portelli@axhotelsmalta.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed here on business at the end of June 2013. The common areas are really, really nice and the pools are very good. The service was outstanding and staff very amenable and helpful at all times. The room I had was very tired though, with threadbare linen and curtains and the carpet and furniture was pretty poor. The carpets in the corridor were torn in a lot of places. The air con is not very effective either. The room was clean, however, but in real need of a refit.

The location is good though and you can park in the basement for just 2 Euros a day. It's an odd hotel because a lot of effort has obviously gone into the facilities, which feel pretty high end, but the room was a disappointment to me. I expected basic but not as worn out as it was.

The price was good and when you look at the website it will feel like a real bargain. If I had paid to go there on a holiday, I would have been very disappointed by the room, but not by the facilities or location or the service.

Not sure I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rev_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Andrew R,

On behalf of The Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for having honoured us with your presence and for finding the time to submit your review on Trip Advisor, a gesture which has truly been appreciated.

Further to your comments, we would like to thank you for your positive comments and also for your constructive criticism. Your direct feedback is valuable for us because it enables us to persevere in our quest to meet guest satisfaction at all times. To substintiate my argument, unless it is too much of an inconvenience, and because we truly care, I would kindly like you to contact me on the below email address, hence to discuss the matter further.

Whilst assuring you of our best attention at all times, we sincerely hope to have the pleasure of re welcoming and hosting you once again at The Victoria.

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed for two weeks 16th-30th July. We like the quiet location & enjoy the walk down to the seafront (uphill on the way back but good exercise!). Beds are very comfortable. Aircon also good. Rooms are clean & the chambermaids do a good job. We had a balcony & although the view isn't brilliant, still glad we had it. Breakfast is still average though & because of that we didn't eat at the hotel restaurant. All the staff are friendly & helpful. The Victoria shares pool & spa with the Palace but the Palace is 5 star so more expensive. Prefer the the atmosphere of Victoria, more relaxing. If we go back to Sliema we would stay at the Victoria.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rev_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Joy061,

First and foremost, on behalf of The Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for having honoured us once again with your presence and for taking the time to submit your review on Trip Advisor, hence sharing your experience with other viewers.

We are delighted to read that your experience was a positive one and that we have managed to meet your expectations to the extent that you will, without any hesitation, return to The Victoria. Such comments surely entice our motivation to persevere in the quest of accomplishing guest satsfaction at all times. On a different note, we are slightly concerned re your comment about the food. Due to the fact that your comments are important for us and that we truly care, should it not be too much of an inconvenience, I would like you to contact me on my personal email address, hence to discuss the matter further.

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Since visiting and staying here, I can believe all the mixed reviews on here for the same place. Some people receive exemplary service, others like myself and my friend did not! The service on the front desk is hit and miss, depending on who you are talking with and the staff cover is very varied so there is a lack of continuity. Our stay was problematic from the outset, our room was not ready until 3pm when we arrived at 11.30am.
The food is excellent, such a wide choice both morning and evening. The only real problem is that the evening meal does not include a drink, not even water in its price. Breakfast on the other hand has ample amounts of choice.
The location of the hotel is good, the hills do keep you in shape, but it is a pleasant stroll to and from the hotel.
Our room was dated and the balcony faced other apartments around us, so there was little privacy.
The indoor pool was under construction in July and not in use, we were not informed and the indoor bar they advertise is only open in the 'off peak' part of the year. This is not mentioned on the website. The theme nights they have in the hotel cause a lot of chaos if you want to use the 8th floor pool. They set these events up around you and make you feel rather uncomfortable in doing this.
I have a list of other complaints that I have emailed the hotel directly with, two weeks ago and I have had no response from them in any form. This highlights the level of service received by us during our stay!
I would not recommend this hotel to others due to my experience and would only consider returning if it was free!

Room Tip: No tips as its pot luck!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cranleigh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed at the Victoria as a part of our Cosmos package between 27th July-3rd August 2013.

Good points
Location – 5 mins walk to the main shops and restaurants however it is up hill on the way back.
Large room with comfy twin beds (which we pushed together).
Use of computers throughout the hotel with internet.
TV in rooms (but only has two English channels, expect to watch a lot of documentaries of the discovery channel!)
Tea, coffee and milk in rooms.
Fresh towels every day.
Provided with two towel tickets for the pool which can be exchanged on the top floor pool. Don’t lose the tokens or you will be charged to replace the towels.
The facilities in the Palace Hotel are very nice (which are shared with The Victoria)
I had a lovely free shoulder and neck massage at the spa which I would recommend to all guests.

Bad Points
Air conditioning is very poor and room was extremely hot and stuffy. The air con will not work if you open the doors and in the day the warm air through the doors makes it worse. We complained to the hotel and they said it was centrally controlled due to being “eco-friendly” and they would send maintenance up to take a look which as far as we know never happened.
The hotel claims to be” eco-friendly” but every time housekeeping cleaned our room they left the bathroom light on which could be on for the whole day until our return.
The bathroom floods when the shower is on (no matter how long you are in there). The bathroom floor ends up covered in water and takes all four towels to mop up! The hotel request you don’t change your towels every day because they are eco-friendly but this is impossible when all four towels are used to mop up the mess from the shower.
It was too hot to have the curtains open so we spent the whole time in the room in darkness with poor lighting.
The toilet was a bit funny and needed quite a few flushes before it would work.
The pool on the top floor is nice but is extremely crowded. Getting a sun bed is very tricky as the pool is busy by 8.30am! Only went up once and decided against it for the rest of the holiday. We were there during peak season but just a warning as it is not as big as we anticipated for two hotels of 6 floors each.

We had an amazing holiday and Sliema is defiantly the place to stay and explore on the island. We were a little disappointed with the hotel rating it more of a 3 star than a 4 star. However this did not deter us from having a great stay on Malta!

Dear heaferbeast,

Further to your comments, which we are very grateful for, we would initially like to thank you for the positive points as well as for the ones which are not so positive. Having mentioned the latter, we would like to apologise for not fully meeting your expecations and for any inconvenience caused. Due to the fact that we truly care, I would kindly like you to contact me on my personal email address, hence to discuss the matter further. In the meantime, these points are also being discussed by the relevant departments.

Whilst assuring you of our best attention at all times, I look forward to hear from you and to the pleasure of re welcoming and hosting you once again at The Victoria.

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

fair 3 star hotel stayed for 10 days 15 to 25 july, room was very dated (614) paid extra £120 for balcony to find the view of the local hospital. the staff and rooftop pool are great, food was ok best meal was the wed night special by the pool in the palace and the Salisbury arms bar around the corner.The bar staff at the terrace bar are great had a few drinks here as we found the nightlife in Sliema very poor, plenty to do in the day, some good trips,drinks and food cheap but would not go back to malta. will stick to Tenerife.

Room Tip: high rooms the best
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rev_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear raymond h,

First and foremost, on behalf of The Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for having honoured us with your presence and for finding the time to submit your review on Trip Advisor.

Further to your comments, it is a shame to hear that your overall opinion of the hotel and Malta was not as one would have expected. As far as the hotel is concerned, the hotel is featured and sold as a city hotel due to the fact that it is situated in a residential area. Having mentioned this, the top floor rooms enjoy a distant sea view. As far as the hotel is concerned, it has embarked on a series of projects in order to maintain its standards and to present that unique ambience..

Whilst assuring you of our best attention at all times, once again, thank you so much for having chosen The Victoria Hotel.

Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

All i can think is that some reviewers must have paid alot more for a week in the Victoria than we did. we booked a standard room through Mercury Direct who were flawless as was their rep Jonathan. Our room was a very good size with a good bathroom,yes the water did come under the shower screen onto the floor a little but I didn't have to mop it up!! The beds were large and very comfortable.
There was some building work going on in the alley under our room (517) which was ideal as they started at 8.30am so it got me up and into breakfast early. My only complaint was that they didn't work on Sundays so I overslepted, missed breakfast and lost half a day of my holiday.
The staff were all very friendly and the chambermaids seemed to spend all day singing.
The rooftop pool was amazing, plenty of sunbeds to go round and nice and clean. The penny black bar was closed for the summer so in the early evening we went out of the hotel, turned left and left again and went in the pub. Cheap beer and football on the telly!!
Hotel location was exellent and made access to sliema very easy.
Is it a 4* hotel?....Who cares, for what we paid it made great base for a very enjoyable holiday.

Dear Carl A,

First and foremost, on behalf of The Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for having honoured us with your presence and for finding the time to submit your review on Trip Advisor, hence sharing your experience with other viewers.

We are glad to hear that your experience at The Victoria was a positive one, but most of all, that we have managed to meet your expectations. Such comments entice our motivation to persevere in our mission. The hotel has embarked on a series of projects, in order to maintain its standards but most of all to guarantee that wonderful and special experience.

Whilst assuring you of our best attention at all times, we sincerely look forward to the pleasure of re welcoming and hosting yu again at The Victoria.

charles.portelli@axhotelsmalta.com

Been to The Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!