“Mostly good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Victoria Hotel

You added The Victoria Hotel to your Saves list
The Victoria Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gorg Borg Olivier St, Sliema, Island of Malta SLM 1807, Malta   |
Offers & Announcements
Malta Treasures for Less
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Sliema
Reading
“Mostly good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The hotel is an agreeable place to stay. The stars are the staff, efficent ,pleasant and friendly. The buffet breakfasts and dinners are generous ,the food is ok but not outstanding, and you should find something you like, there is also on display in the restaurant ,a notice saying that they will help with special diets. Initially disappointed at the room allocated we changed rooms after two days,thankyou Charles, for you help. The second room was bigger , ( the disparity in size of rooms of the same grade in this case superior was noticable) however both rooms need money spent on them. I think it is fair to say that the furniture in the rooms need replacing, lots of wear and tear showing. Beds are comfortable.The tvs are the old CRT type,(with the exceptions of the junior suites) very dated,and not 4 star at all ,little choice of tv channels to enjoy ,this could be improved. Sun terrace and pool on the roof great for the views and relaxing. There were functions being held at the adjoining hotel and the adjacent self catering complex and the use of a mircophone fairly late into the night on one occasion was surprising and could have impacted on guests sleep. A nice touch was the tea /coffee tray in reception for those leaving for early morning flights. This is not a bad place to stay however there is work to be done.

Room Tip: Rooms on 7th floor seemed to be smaller also by the gym and indoor pool ,stayed on the 5th floor wit...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rev_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Jeff10_13,

First and foremost, on behalf of The Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for having honoured us with you presence. I would also like to express our sense of appreciation for sharing your experience with other viewers on Trip Advisor. Your comments are valuable and important for us. Rest assured that as much as your praise, particularly towards the staff, has been extended to all concerned, your constructive comments will surely not be ignored. This has always been our objective, to listen, discuss and action because your opinion counts, and for this, we thank you.

Whilst assuring you of our sincere and best attention at all times, we look forward to the pleasure of re welcoming and hosting you once again at The Victoria.

charles.portelli@axhotelsmalta.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel in itself has all the amenities to be comfortable, but it just falls short on a lot of fronts. Breakfast is okay, but not really tasty. Same goes for dinner (we even skipped 2 nights, although they were incuded in our half board), the wifi is on and off, the noise from next door at the Palace hotel (same owner as the Victoria) keeps you from a good night rest. Opting for the aircondition results in rather heavy air in the room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rev_Manager, General Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear Lauren v,

First and foremost, on behalf of The Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for having honoured us with your presence.

Thank you so much for finding the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor with other viewers. Your time and contribution are greatly appreciated. Your comments are valuable for us since it is through your feedback that allows us to address and look into certain issues . It is such a pity that we have not fully met your expectations, particularly as far as the food is concerned. Due to the fact that we care, we would like to discuss this matter further. Unless this fact will pose any inconvenience, we would like you to contact our F&B Manager, Mr. James Galea. You may do so on james.galea@axhotelsmalta.com.

Whilst looking forward to hear from you, we sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of your return.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Our stay at The Victoria was a pleasant surprise this time. We had taken the precaution of booking a room with a balcony, which meant that we got a comfortable, refurbished room with a view. The bed was particularly good. The bathroom was modern. All was clean. The new lifts are now operational. Breakfast has improved, and in particular, the coffee is better. The staff still provide first class, attentive service. The walk down the hill to the waterfront, and back up, is pleasant and wasn't too steep for us, an older couple. All in all, a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. It may cost more, but it is worth it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rev_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Linda P,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for having honoured us once again with your presence and for sharing your exprience with other viewers on Trip Advisor.

Guests' satisfaction is a matter which is very much at heart and we are so pleased to read that we have not failed in delivering a service to meet your expectations. Such comments entice our motivation to persevere in this quest because it is through your feedback which allows us to accomplish this, and for this, we thank you.

Whilst assuring you of our best attention at all times, we look forward to the pleasure of re welcoming and hosting you once again at The Victoria.

Augsburg, Bayern, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Well, what can I say: it has been a year since my last visit to Malta. And here I was, again, at my favorite hotel, The Victoria. It took me only 30 years visiting Malta to find this place…

The first thing I noticed upon my arrival, I was greeted like an old friend, returning after a long absence. And it felt good to be welcomed in such a warm reception. Again, friendliness of every staff member I came across again, attentive service with a smile, good food and fabulously cooked meals at dinner time! And still, the sauces! Great chef, he is still here.

I also noted improvements in the hotel: there are now two modern elevators that have replaced the old stile ones. Ok, these ones are faster, speedier and even “talk” to you, however, as it is with all changes, here the time of wooden panels, ancient buttons to move up and down the house, they are no more.

And – now the added 9th floor gives you direct access to the top of the hotels: The Victoria and The Palace share the top of the joint building, with 2 outdoor pools, lots of deckchairs in shady or sunny spots, bar, ice cream station, all here. And we can enjoy fabulous views onto Valetta and the northern shores of Malta from here.

Ah yes, I also appreciated the WLAN access throughout the hotel rooms (for a fee) or for free in the lobby. So, interned access until I dropped!

I prefer to stay in The Victoria and not at its next-door partner The Palace. Why? Here I enjoy the less top the range hotel, The Victoria has a less sterile feeling about due to the wood paneled entry hall, bar and dining hall, the wooden furniture in the rooms. It is not overly modern in its interior, but nice. That of course, is my personal preference.

Well, I found myself well looked after in every aspect of my 10-day vacation back on Malta, back at The Victoria. And you might have already guessed, it will not be my last stay.

See you next time Victoria. And for you, dear readers, maybe this contemplation of mine will entice you to check out this gem in Sliema, next time on Malta.

Room Tip: you have two choices: rooms facing either North or South. During winter, I book the sunny side, duri...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Juergen_A-1952,

First and foremost, on behalf of The Management and Staff, I wouuld like to thank you for having honoured us once again with your presence. Furthermore, we would like to extend our sense of appreciation for finding the time to share your experience with other viewers on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to read that your experience has been once again a very postive one and that we have managed to reach your expectations all round. As you have well noticed, the hotel has embarked on a number of projects, in order to enhance and maintain its standars and reputation, thus to ensure guests' full satisafction. Such comments entice our motivation to persevere in this quest. We have extended your postive and kind comments to all concerned.

Front Office manager
Bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed for a week 16-23rd June. We were allowed access to our room early which was a nice surprise. Very pleased with room, although it wasn't as depicted in photos (we must have got one which hadn't been refurbished), but it was still very nice, plenty of room and we had been given 6th floor which I requested, but didn't get south facing which unfortunately meant we didn't get any sun at all on our balcony. It wasn't too big a deal and I'm sure if we'd have asked, we could have moved, but we didn't realise this until the second day and I didn't want to have to pack & unpack again. The bed was extremely comfortable (and massive - my husband commented that he was in a different time zone from me!!). Breakfast and dinner were very good - the fish we had was outstanding. Rooftop pool was really nice and all of the staff were really pleasant and helpful. My husband was looking for a dive club and he gentleman on reception (who's name unfortunately I can't remember) went above and beyond what you would expect in telephoning places for us. I really wish I'd got his name, as he deserves recognition for his helpfulness. Just a few things which I think would help to take this hotel from really good to great - better toiletries in bathrooms, rather than just a soap dispenser on the wall and a small bar of soap; a better hairdryer than the one attached to the wall (though I suspect that this will have been dealt with in refurbished rooms); cheaper drinks at rooftop bar. We paid 2 Euros for a cup of tea until Thursday when it suddenly went up to 3 Euros! My husband asked for a glass of water & was told it was 3 Euros 80 for a bottle! This is just unnecessary and puts you off spending any money there. I also think that use of the safety deposit box should be free (currently 2 Euros per night). We have stayed in hotels which are nowhere near as good as this and have had this facility provided free of charge. However none of these things would put us off staying here again and we look forward to returning. This was our 3rd visit to Malta and this was by far the best hotel we have stayed in both for it's location and its staff. They are a credit to the hospitality trade. Well done all of you and thanks for making our stay so pleasurable!!

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms have great views, but ask for a sunny balcony.
Dear PatPiddington,

Further to the review which you have kindly posted on Trip Advisor, we would like to thank you for your time and contribution. It is such a pleasure and delight to read that your experience at The Victoria was a pleasant and positive one. Such comments entice our motivation to persevere in maiintaining our main objective, that being guests' full satisfaction. I have also extended your comments to all concerned.

Rotterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

It has been 10 months since we visited The Victoria and it just keeps getting better. Slowly but steadily the hotel is making improvements such as now having replaced both of the old, slow elevators for faster, more spacious ones, and (YES!) fixing the problem with pressure and temperature changes in the showers. With some soft refurbishments the place is looking fresher every time we visit.
The one thing that does not change, is the staff, and that is a blessing. They are the reason we keep coming back. Every single staff member greeted us when they saw us, and even made eye contact. They care and it shows.
We had a truly relaxing week with loads of yummie cocktails at the Penny Black and en excellent value-for-money dinner deal, the triple treat. A lovely massage at Mizzi's spa in the Palace with which the Victoria share their pool on the 9th floor completed our well deserved week of R&R...we cannot wait to get back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rev_Manager, Front Office Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear RTM1908,

On behalf of All The Management and Staff, I would like to extend our sincere gratitude for your loyalty towards The Victoria Hotel and for having honoured once again with your presence. Your time and contribution are greatly appreciated. The fact that we have succeeded in meeting your expectations is our greatest reward and ultimate objective, that is to deliver a service, complimented with care.

Whilst assuring you of our constant commitment and dedication, we look forward to the pleasure of re welcoming and hosting you once again at The Victoria.

Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

From the moment we arrived at reception, the friendliness and helpfulness of staff could seldom be faulted. Nothing seemed too much trouble and they were a mine of information on places to visit (especially the young man in the hotel gift shop). All the public areas were clean and well maintained although some of the leather sofas in the lobby had certainly seen better days. I would often come down early in the morning to login to my iPad ( wifi only available in the lobby and part of the roof pool area) and I witnessed how efficiently and thoroughly these areas were cleaned.
We booked a half board package and found the meals to certainly be adequate. The menu had some variety and the only criticisms I could make would be regarding the salad, especially the lettuce. This appeared to be well past it's best and the leaves could have a high level of brown discolouration.
We couldn't really afford a 4star hotel but this was a belated treat for my 60th birthday. The thing that really disappointed me was the bedroom. As many other reviewers have mentioned, the room was long overdue refurbishment and had a decidedly tired feel about it. The furniture was all overprainted and this had badly chipped, especially on corners. One cupboard door didn't close properly as the hinges appeared out of alignment. The TV had very few English language channels (BBC world news, CNN, Bloomberg, Discovery) and was a very bulky CRT set with a snowy picture.
Even these things I could have accepted if the bed had been ok. I work for a well know department store and I specialise in bed sales so do know a fair bit about them. The mattress was, I'm sure, an open coil sprung mattress. These lose their firmness and shape over a relatively short time and I found that one spring in particular seemed intent on having an intimate relationship with me! It was very uncomfortable and the pillows were no better. They should have been replaced some time ago. The quality was far worse than I have experienced in the budget hotel chains in the UK such as Travelodge and Premier Inn.
The roof pool areas were well equipped and clean with an adequate number of comfortable sun loungers and was shared with the 5 star sister hotel, the Palace. When we first checked in we were given complementary passes for a 15 minute head, neck and shoulder massage in the spa area. We only used this a couple of hours before leaving the hotel and certainly wish we had done so earlier in our stay. If we had done I'm sure we would have paid for the treatment again during our stay as it was wonderful. The entire spa area was immaculate with exceptionally friendly and helpful staff and the whole ambience was one of soothing relaxation. I could not recommend it more highly.
if the beds and bedding are replaced I would not hesitate to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms numbered in the lower six hundreds as these are directly beneath the gym and can be quit...
Dear Andy H,

First and foremost, on behalf of All The Management and Staff, I would like to thank you for having honoured us with your presence and for finding the time to share your experience with other viewers. Your contribution is greatly appreciated.

We would like extend our true and sincere apologies for not fully meeting your expectations, in spite the fact that the overall experience was surely a positive one. The points which you have raised have been put forward to the attention of the persons concerned. It is only through such constructive feedback that one may improve and address similar situations, therefore your comments are valuable for us. To proof our full commitment, I would kindly like you to contact me personally, hence to discuss this matter further.

Whilst assuring you of our best attention at all times, I look forward to hearing from you, and eventually to the pleasure of your return.

charles.portelli@axhotelsmalta.com

Been to The Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!