“Excellent hotel, excellent staff, excellent holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Victoria Hotel

You added The Victoria Hotel to your Saves list
The Victoria Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gorg Borg Olivier St, Sliema, Island of Malta SLM 1807, Malta   |
Offers & Announcements
Malta Treasures for Less
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Sliema
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel, excellent staff, excellent holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and two children (2 & 3 years old) between 30th - 8 August 2012. This is the second time we have stayed in The Victoria Hotel and it didn't disappoint second time round. Our only complaint last time was that one of the lifts was broken during our whole stay and it only went to the 5th floor which didn't include The Victoria or The Palace pools. I am pleased to tell you and this has been recitifed by a brand new swanky lift that takes you to all floors. Our room was large and clean with two balcanys as we was a corner room. The shower had a very good pressure (although it did change temp. on its own accord). The facilities are very good. We also received a complimentary bottle of wine and fruit just because it was my birthday. We was on a B&B basis and the breakfast was plentiful. The cooked breakfast changed on a daily basis so you get a variety and they have a large selection of continential. The best bacon i've tasted! One evening we ate at The Terrace Bar & Grill which is located near the pool. We went for Italian night which is a buffet. We had soup to start, a choice of 3 pastas and a large selection of deserts (they just kept on bringing different ones out during the night). At only 9.95 it is a definiate. It is such a relaxed atomsphere with excellent views over Malta. The swimming pools were definiately the selling point for my two children as they hardly left them. All the above aside the thing that makes The victoria a 4* hotel is definiately the staff. Charles the receptionist was amazing and was there if we had any problems, concerns or requests. He was very professional and remembered our names and room number every time we went down to reception even if it was just to say good morning/afternoon/evening. The staff didn't change over the board like it does in some hotels. The staff were brilliant from management down to bar/restaurant staff and maids. To sum it up we had an amazing holiday in an amazing hotel. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We found the rooms clean and comfortable though the decor was a little dated. The air conditioning was a little noisy at night. The staff were excellent especially in the restaurant. Two members of our party have special dietry needs and the chef went through each dish and told us what we could eat. If there was nothing available or to our taste they were happy to cook something different for us. One night I had a very tasty gluten free pasta dish. We ate in the hotel every night as we were confident that they could cater for our dietry needs. Prices in the hotel bar and shop were reasonable. Location is good in a quiet area but only a short walk to the buses, shops etc. We would be happy to stay at the Victoria again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Duelmen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Nice rooms, WLAN for free in the lobby, no WLAN in the rooms. Charge for breakfast is too high. Receiptionist very kind, friendly and helpful in all matters. 2 Swimming-Pools on the roof (1 smaller one and 1 large one). Gymnastic room for free and with good equipment. Restaurant on the roof with moderate prizes. On last night we were hearing the neighbours discussing loudly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rev_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear esteemed guest,

Thank for sharing your experience at The Victoria Hotel.

I would like to thank you for your lovely comments about our services and facilities. However I would like to note that as you well stated the lobby area, restaurant and bar is equipped with free Wireless internet while in the rooms we do have adsl internet connection of which we are currently considering to upgrade to WIFI connection. Regarding the breakfast charge, please be aware that we currently have an inhouse special offer of 6.50Euros per person for a full english and continental breakfast.

I hope the above was found useful, should you reconsider to stay at The Victoria Hotel.

Should you kindly need any furter assistance please do not hesitate to contact me on dutymanager@victoriahotel.com.

Best Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

When we arrived in Malta we had been travelling all day and were very tired. When we went to check-in (at approx 11pm) we examined our room and it was a very run-down old room with twin beds: We had requested the nicest room in the hotel with a double. I went to reception and spoke to staff, who said that they couldnt move room as they were booked up, but would combine the two beds to make it a double. We sat for approximately 30 minutes in the lobby waiting for our bed to be fixed. I then asked the staff how much longer it would be. After a total 45 minutes I was told it couldnt be fixed, and we would have to stay in the budget room with single beds, and they would shift us tomorrow.

I later came to realise that they had a conference or delegation in the hotel and our single booking wasn't a priority.

Having said that, the new room had a beautiful view, and despite some of furniture being a bit run down, it was nice enough. To be honest it wasn't as nice as I was expecting though.

Daytime staff were lovely, and the location was fantastic.

I don't think I would go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear esteemed guest,

Thank you for your constructive comments.

I would appreciate if you could gently contact me directly on the following email address ; dutymanager@victoriahotel.com, in order to follow up your comments.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience. Our primary aim is guest satisfaction, therefore I would much appreciate if you could give more details in order to investigate further.

Best Regards,
Split, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We spent our summer holiday in The Victoria Hotel and it was a very pleasant stay. There are a few flaws that bothered me a bit but overall I would go back on my next visit to Malta. First thing that I noticed was that room was a bit run down and furniture was old and cracked with old carpets, but everything was very clean and tidy. another thing that bothered me was the fact that you can't regulate room temperature nor can you turn the air condition off. I like to be able to adjust the temperature of the room i sleep in according to my mood and not have it blow noisily above my head all night. But it was a minor problem for us as we spent only few hours in the room for sleep. I have to say the hotel staff was very helpful and friendly, the friendliest and happiest hotel staff I have met. Nothing was a problem for them, they printed maps of local area, directed us to nearby restaurants and bus stations, arranged us transport to airport at 5 am, really the best staff ever. Also, room maids were very fast and thorough and our room was always spotless after them. With staff like this you really forget all the small flaws of the hotel. There is a water heater and tea, coffee, cream and sugar in the room included in the price, which is a really nice touch as I always start my day with a cup of tea. The location is another good thing, hotel is situated in the center of Sliema, in a quiet neighborhood away from touristic buzz on the coast where 90% of Sliema hotels are, with all important things still within walking distance. I highly recommend it.

Dear esteemed guest,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Such reviews really help us to improve our product and afterall guest satisfaction.

While we thank for your good comments about our hotel, we would like to assure you that we have already discussed the negative issues mentioned on your review.

Would appreciate if you could kindly contact me directly in order to follow up your negative comments even further. My email address is dutymanager@victoriahotel.com.

Looking forward to host you back at The Victoria Hotel.

Best regards,
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

4 minutes to the sea and the bus stops, 3 minutes to the best cafe in Sliema - Mint! Mini supermarkets and other small shops. Centrally located, quiet and serene in the evenings and early mornings. Living within the midst of the Maltese people, and the invisible cat of Gorg Borg Olivier Street. I will not disclose the house number, but it's between 45 - 49.
We chose the Victoria over a 5* because it had the best reviews. The Victoria lives up to it's name and what it delivers!
Our room - on the 2nd floor (across from the emergency exit) - was very spacious and had one of the biggest balconies. Our view was the back of the Capua Palace and St James Hospital.
We had raised a minor issue in our room and it was taken care of right away. Clean room each day. Comfy, hug bed; slept like a baby! The mini bar fridge wasn't too cold and drinks from it had to be ordered. No fuss there as drinks bought outside remained cold.
The hotel has comfy leather sofas and chairs (perhaps Chesterfields; not sure) on the lobby where you have free wifi access. If you want wifi in your room you have to pay a reasonable amount.
We had the Maltese Buffet on our first evening. Lots of Maltese food to choose from as well as starters and desserts! Overall, good food! Our waiter was quite friendly and checked up on us. The Maltese Rose we had was quite good - Verdala's the name. Had also tried the white wine at another restaurant and was pleased with it as well.
Though the Victoria may need a bit of a facelift, it was clean and staff was helpful and did their best to accommodate their guests.
A great thank you to Stuart (front dest manager) and his colleagues and most importantly, the ever cheerful and helpful Mary (house staff) and the dining staff. Thank you to Tempasian Restaurant (Palace Hotel, sister of Vitoria) for accommodating to our take away order.
We've been recommending the Victoria in our network. We'll stay here again in the future!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

We arrived to the Hotel prior to the check in time after not having slept for 36 hrs or so. We were very tired and just wanted to go lay down. I explained this to the receptionist and they changed our room so that we could check in immediately. The good service continued from there. They helped with the standard stuff, directions, resturants, tours, etc. But they also printed our boarding passes for our flight which went above and beyond. Very nice lobby and decent food at the pool bar. The rooftop pool is VERY nice! Two large pools, plenty of deck space, small pool bar with decent food, and an amazing view of the city and ocean. It is the highest point in Sliema.

The rooms were pretty big for European standards. TV but only news channels in English. My biggest complaints were there is no Wi-Fi access in the room (only in the lobby) and the floor of the bathroom will get soaked when you shower. There is like a 12in glass "door" extending from the wall which does absolutely nothing. You basically get water everywhere when you take a shower and no amount of towels will keep it from soaking everything. This was pretty annoying.

Overall I would still recommend this hotel. Rooms are kind of old but most people won't be too bothered unless you're used to 5 star hotels. The pool area with the view and the excellent service we received made up for any complaints. Also in a great location with plenty of shops/bars/restaurants in walking distance.

WARNING: DO NOT GO TO MARINALAND (or something like that) to "swim" with dolphins. Absolutely the worst thing I've ever done after visiting 40+ countries. We paid $120 per person to have a 20-30 min dolphin show. This really mean Italian lady yells at you and the most interaction you have with he dolphins is when the set their head on your lap and you pet them for 10 seconds. They snap a pic and try and charge 20euros for it. Biggest waste of time and money.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to The Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!