“A quick, easy, and great way to see Malta.” 4 of 5 stars

$19*
and up
Ranked #16 of 26 Activities in Sliema
Austin, Texas
“A quick, easy, and great way to see Malta.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I had never been to Malta. Out hotel concierge recommended this company, and I imagine they have a deal, but we though we would try it. What they offer is a double decker bus with 3 routes, North, South, and Gozo. The benefit being that you can hop-on / hop-off at set locations on the route and buses come by every 30-45 minutes. This was great for us, because we got to see all the highlights of Malta and jump off where WE wanted to and take a look around.

The service overall was very good, the buses were as clean as you would expect a bus and the staff were polite and there were no issues. The buses also have audio tracks that follow along with your tour and they offer the track in about 8 languages, so that was great. The audio track isn't exactly going to give you everything that say a human tour guide would give you, but in this scenario I thought it was good. I do have to say however, that there were scenarios where the audio timing was off, i.e. you would be ahead or past a point and the track would be describing you something that you couldn't even see or that you already had passed.

Cost wise this was a great way to see Malta. 20 Euro each and we pretty much saw the whole island. I would out of the 3 trips recommend Gozo and the North route. I wasn't particularly fond of the South route as it took you through mostly industrial areas.

• Polish first
“Absolute scam, ruined a day and a half of our holiday. Use malta sightseeing (a different company)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from a weeks holiday in Malta. Neither of us had visited before and thought the perfect way to see the sights and learn the history would be to do the open top tour.
We booked our 2 day tour through the official booking office in Bugibba as recommended by our travel rep which cost €20 per person including the free harbour cruise.
The first day we waited at the bus stop for 70 mins before a bus came (they're ment to run every 30 mins), by which time there were lots of people waiting to get on and by the 3rd stop its was standing room only and very cramped. The people standing obviously had no access to the headphone commentary. We planned to do the harbour tour and red route the first day but due to the delays in the morning, after the criuse we missed the last red bus tour leaving at just after 3pm!!!
When I asked a member of staff in Selima about when the next bus was, he told me I'd missed it, shrugged and turned round to try and sell a tour to someone else. When I explained what had happened in the morning he accused me of lying, again shrugging and turning round. I had to walk away from this vile man to avoid an altication between my partner and him.
While having a coffee opposite the bus stop trying to decide what to do with the rest of our day we saw 1 sightseeing Malta bus but at least 5 or 6 Malta sightseeing busses.
We thought we'd give them another go the next day on the blue route, we shouldn't have bothered. Two of the 4 busses we went on had no working headphone sockets (we tried most of the top deck), again waiting an hour for busses to arrive. We wanted to visit the church in Mosta but when we arrived the church and most of the town was closed!!
It was a very disappointing experience. Especially as I have used the sightseeing London tours and really enjoyed them. The only saving grace of the tour was the harbour cruise which was very good and run by Captin Morgan.
I recommend avoiding this company and either use malta sightseeing or get a day arriva bus ticket for €2.60 we did this most days and had a brilliant time exploring & the busses ran past 4pm!!!

Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
“Great & Educational”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Went on the Hop On Hop off tour of North, South and Gozo. During the North tour hopped off at the Ta qali crafts village to explore more - bought a few souvenirs! Did the same at Gozo craft village. Next time we intend to devote more time at the Three cities and the Citadel which we felt we didn't do much justice.

Didn't get to do the Harbour tour as the weather was not good on the day.

Better to get tickets from street agents as they offer good discounts - it was rather late for us as we had already bought ours. Next time it will be from the street agents.

Los Angeles, California
“Malta has more to offer than you might think”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I allowed for a two day stopover in Malta. In planning for the trip I discovered the 'Malta Pass' where one price allows me to see virtually all of the main attractions. I chose the two day Malta Pass and mapped out a plan to get the most value from the pass. This may be a small island, but it has plenty of unusual sights and history to see, but the two days was not enough. I could have used a third and even fourth day. Big suggestion: for your day on the double-decker buses, make the effort to get on the first bus leaving the Topaz Hotel. I was running late and took a 25 euro taxi to make the 08:00 bus departure. Or you could take the very efficient bus system to the Topaz Hotel area, just be at the Valetta bus center before 07:00.
Rick Sutherland, Los Angeles

Visited April 2013
Hampshire, UK
15 attraction reviews
“Malta Sightseeing - Hop On, Hop Off Bus Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

After much deliberation we chose to do our Hop On, Hop Off open topped bus tour of the island with Malta Sightseeing. Although more expensive on paper, the 'street agents' will give a discount. We bought tickets for both the North and the South tours and did them on separate days (which do not have to be consecutive). Overall, Malta Sightseeing's tours cover the whole island; certainly more than rival company City Sightseeing. They also appear to have more buses plying the routes. A free harbour cruise is included in the ticket price (which you can take on any day of your holiday) with Latini Cruises - a smaller boat than the rival company and so can navigate further along each of the creeks. There is also a free excursion on the Heritage bus which can reach the smaller roads within the Three Cities - although we did not have enough time to do this one.
I would definitely recommend Malta Sightseeing over any rival.
The only downside is the constant haranguing one gets along the promenade in Sliema by lots of different selling agents trying to get you on their tours/cruises - and this is for both rival companies!