“Few things for the Hotel to change before we would go back again” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Fortina

You added Hotel Fortina to your Saves list
Hotel Fortina
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Tigne Seafront, Sliema, Island of Malta SLM 3012, Malta   |
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Sliema
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Few things for the Hotel to change before we would go back again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The Fortina Hotel in Sliema is the best holiday my Husband and I have ever had. There were just
a few things that would of made our holiday more enjoyable. I suffer from Coeliac and need a Gluten Free diet. All our other holidays in different countries I have had no problem talking to the chef and always had help with what food I was safe to eat. In the Fortina Hotel I explained to one of the chefs and he was NO help at. So I was only able to eat plain foods which I knew I could eat. The other problem we had was there was no Wi Fi unless you went into there sister hotel next door and sat with other people waiting to use the ONE terminal. They had a Wi Fi room with terminals but this room was kept closed. There was another option, you could pay 6 euros a day to have Wi Fi in your room but Vodafone would still charge me £3 a day to use my price plan.

Room Tip: Try and not get room 401 it is so tiny, two single beds and one of them is against the wall and you...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
FortinaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Fortina, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear LindaH.,

Thanks for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you had a fantastic stay here at the Fortina. Regarding your comment about the Wifi, we feel the need to make a small clarification. The paid wifi at the Fortina Hotel is for having wifi access in the room. However free wifi is available in the lobby area.

We look forward to welcome you back at the Fortina in near future.

The Hotel Fortina Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Hotel Fortina should be fantastic but I'm afraid it isn't.
I will agree with the other reviews that the view is undeniably stunning over the Harbour of Valletta and it is this that I expect keeps the Hotel in business for it would surely not survive without it.
As other reviews state, there are a number of Restaurants to visit on site. We were on half board basis but on many dishes in the themed restaurants you will have to pay a supplement on each dish. This soon adds up to a fair amount if you're doing it every night. The basic free restaurant La Vallette is ok...and that's it. It's ok and nothing more.
We visited the Japanese & Thai restaurants, both of which were very good but of course we had to pay for it!
The other restaurant that we went to 'Taste' was nice. Not fantastic but enjoyable.
Now on to the Hotel. I was so disappointed with it. The carpets on our floor were so shabby and I'm afraid the reception staff left a lot to be desired. They were pleasant enough but many of them are foreign students and I'm afraid they just aren't up to scratch.
One morning a receptionist was so engrossed in texting on her mobile phone that she didn't see me at all! Another morning a booking was requested by phone to reception for the Thai Restaurant. Unfortunately for us it was not made. We arrived to blank faces and after an embarrassing 10 minutes of justifying why we were entitled to eat there and phone calls made to confirm it, a table was found outside by the pool which was actually very nice. Unfortunately this was soon spoiled by loud offensive music blaring out from the pool bar which was 'F' this and 'F' that! I'd like to add that I'm no old fogey (I'm 38 and young at heart) but seriously??? Who wants to hear that?? We were appalled!
I complained about it to a Manager called Sandra the next morning and also mentioned the reservation fiasco. She was genuinely apologetic and I was told it was a one off however I would have appreciated a follow up call as I have no idea if the issues were addressed or not. The Hotel just doesn't have the feel of a well run and professional business.
The Hotel also doesn't feel like it has a common theme running through it with different flooring and decor on different levels. Being on floor 7 and the lift being agonisingly slow, we used the stairs frequently and saw all the other floor levels. The carpets on our floor were a disgrace! Threadbare and badly stained. On one floor there was wood laminate and on another, tiled flooring. It appears to be a lottery as to whether your room is newly refurbished or old and tired. On a positive note, there is a new lift being installed but work on it appeared to be sporadic so don't expect it any time soon!
The saviour in the Hotel for us apart from the view was our cleaner Marie who was a delight. Also Rob who you can book the tours through is a great guy. Born in St Helen's Merseyside and married to a Maltese woman, he is lovely and friendly and hugely knowledgable about what to see and do in Malta.
The man who gives you the ticket for the free boat tour (definitely worth it) is called Aldo and he too is very nice. Beware though, he will offer you free time in the 5* Spa in return for your attendance at a one hour 'presentation.' This is a time share. We declined it and to be fair to him, unlike many others, he didn't push it. We also saw him many times after this and he never mentioned it again.
Other than this handful of excellent staff, I'm sorry Fortina, I wanted to love you but I didn't. There's just too much thats lacking.
I'd like to add that I'm a senior reviewer and I have given many places 5 stars. I like to think I'm fair and I accept that no place is perfect. But Hotel Fortina, pull your socks up or your guests will ship out. A perfectly acceptable 3* but a poor 4*. An average Hotel I'm afraid in a wonderful Country.

Room Tip: A lottery I'm afraid as soon have been renovated, others haven't. From what I saw, floor 5 a...
Dear Finns19,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear that you encountered a few problems during your stay. We took note of your comments and the information has been passed to all the relevant personnel. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

The Hotel Fortina Team
Carfin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and me stayed in the Hotel Fortina on a Half Board basis in July 2013.

The hotel is situated on a busy road in Sliema, which means that it is always noisy at the pool (the back of the house, where our room was, was quieter), but also that cafes, bus stops, and the ferry port are just a short walk away. And without doubt, you will have the best view over Valetta standing in front of the hotel.

The hotel has got 3 outdoor sea-water pools, plenty of sun loungers, an indoor pool and jacuzzi (broken when we were there but we could use the jacuzzi in the 5* Spa Resort), a well equipped, but only partially air-conditioned gym (some cardio machines, plenty weightlifting equipment, Step, boxing gloves, dumbells, mats, pump bars, swiss balls, skipping ropes).

Our room, to which we were upgraded, was of slightly less than average size and condition to comparable rooms (yet no freezer unit in the fridge). The safe is for free.

Buffet breakfast was very British orientated (fry-up) and didn't offer much beyond fry-up food- two types of cold meat and one type of cheese, cucumber and tomato slices, yogurt, two types of cake per day and some bread/rolls.
For dinner, there is the choice of 6 restaurants; I have written separate reviews for all of them, so here just a short rating:
La Valette, buffet restaurant: offers as many warm items for dinner as the fry-up in the morning. Plus some salad, 2 soups, that's about it, and typical buffet restaurant quality. Not recommended!
Il Giardino: absolutely not worthy of a 4/5 star hotel. The starters are nice and staff is really friendly. Yet, except for 1 daily special (which didn't seem to change the two times we were there) the mains are restricted to pizzas- which are not done very well at all- too much dough and too much cheese. If you ask for less cheese, you will most likely get no cheese. Did not return after the second chance we gave it.
Moroboshi/ Japanese: not very well visited, yet very very nice food. The menu is very restricted for Half Board guests though, unless you wish to pay supplements.
Thai/Chinese: the food is very nice and staff very attentive. Again, Half Board guests might find the selection restrictive, but every dish I had was worth having it again.
Indian: very nice food; the naan bread is worth a special mention.
Table 1: this restaurant is under different management than the other restaurants, and there certainly is a difference. Service was chaotic and the food very restricted for HB guests. Unlike the other restaurants, where I easily found something on the menu, I could not find anything that would appeal.

On arrival, we received a voucher for a free Thalasso session; which might be good if you have some movement/ muscle problems or injuries, but if you are fairly fit, it will be an uninspiring half hour. Better visit the good gym! (Around 7am, it is also pretty empty...)

You will have to pay for WiFi if you wish to have it in your room, but can get free WiFi in the hotel lobby. Do NOT rely on it- during the two weeks we were there, I managed to load about three webpages and read about the same amount of articles, despite trying at different times throughout the day and in different parts of the lobby. It seems the router is a fairly basic home router, which means that as soon as more than 2 people try to connect, one gets thrown out. It was impossible to get a signal at all. Happens to be that the lobby of the 5* Spa has a good WiFi which reaches into the garden/ restaurant area so you can browse your emails while eating in the Indian restaurant!

Overall, I enjoyed the attention staff payed to their guests, but there were a few things that let the hotel down (described above) which made it an average experience for me.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back of the hotel are quieter, but lack the stunning view over Valetta
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
FortinaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Fortina, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Platysnisi,

Thank you for your very informative review. We have definitely taken note of your feedback as we are always keen on listening to our guests and finding ways to improve our service and keep our guests satisfied.

Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Recently returned from a very pleasant stay. We went with our adult son and daughter and had asked for nearby seaview rooms. On arrival we were upgraded to a wonderful suite with superb views over the harbour. We found the air conditioning did not work in 1 of the bedrooms so were immediately moved to a similar suite on the floor above Staff were friendly and helpful.
The only criticism I would make are some of the restaurants. Breakfast was good but the dinner buffet was dire as was the Italian restaurant. Pizzas and fish swimming in oil. The Chinese and Japanese were excellent though. If I went again I would only go bed and breakfast because there are plenty of alternative places nearby,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear cvbpeb,

Thank you for your kind review. We are glad to know that you and family have enjoyed a lovely stay at the Fortina and that your problem was immediately solved by our helpful staff. We hope to have you back with us in the near future.

Northern Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just returned from Malta, the journey from the airport was a bit hair-raising but we got there safely. On arrival at 8pm we were allocated our room as requested with a sea view, but it was on the second floor over looking the road with sea view, it seemed dark and very noisy, but there were no others available until the next day. The next morning shown a room on the 6th floor overlooking the garden, much better, lovely balcony on a corner so a little breeze at times and not in much direct sun which suited us well. The reception staff particularly Natalie were very good for us, the night reception staff not so co-operative. We used the buffet restuarant that night because we were short on time. I have to say I dislike buffet style dining room and the standard of food was not brilliant considering it was suppossed to be a 4 star, at breakfast each morning there was very little fresh fruit, a fruit salad made with mainly melon and apple very sloppy. We enjoyed the dinaround scheme but beware you need to book at most of them and if you are half board you can only book 2 days in advance as they will only take 25 none paying guest at one evening. The gardens were lovely and lots of shade areas and sun umbrellas, the front patio much hotter plenty of beds and parasols but the pool is salt water which may make a difference to some people.

Room Tip: Rooms over the garden lovely, the higher you go the more likely to get sea views. Rooms 28-32 seemed...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Quizni,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on Hotel Fortina. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the dine-around scheme and that your problem with the room was sorted out by our helpful reception staff.
Regarding booking in advance for the restaurant, we do understand that this might be an inconvenience at times but we strive to do our best to accommodate everyone especially in the busy summer months - hence booking in advance is always recommended.

Hotel Fortina Team.
Lincolnshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Been to Malta many times and had some bad experiences with accommodation, but the Hotel Fortina surprised me.A warm welcome on reception , room not ready but it was an early flight in and departing guests had only just left, a luggage sucure area was available while you wait. The room was as booked, high level with balcony and sea view. Able to sit out in the evening and enjoy the fantastic view.Bedding and towels changed on a regular basis daily the only negative was that the room was not serviced some days until late afternoon 1600h a time when you was just returning to freshen up.The air con worked very efficient and kept the room comfortable.The bathroom shower room although small was perfect with bath and shower I only wanted to keep clean not hold a dance in there.The food in the main restaurant was very good with multiple choices at each meal and an excellent clearing service.Found drinks in the hotel bar a little expensive, but there is a local bar 30 meters away with realalistic prices.The location is excellent for the ferry to Valletta or the bus 12 euro for a bus pass for the week very good value, bus stops are 5 mins walk from front door.The only drawback to the holiday was the trip touts on the Selima waterfront selling trips if I had been given 1 euro for each time I was approached I could have paid for my holiday.Overall a very nice hotel in a good location but when booking make sure you book a room with the specification you require not all rooms have balconys or sea views.yes I would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Book high room with sea view and balcony to avoid disapointment
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FortinaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Fortina, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Sailorman6,

Thank you for your fantastic and informative review. We are excited to hear that you had a fantastic time at the hotel and we are hoping to have you back with us soon.

Kind Regards
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We have just returned from a great two week stay at the Fortina 4 star hotel. This hotel is well situated in Sliema. We had a standard room with a sea view which was great but the room and bathroom were very small, talking to people I believe the back rooms overlooking the gardens are a little larger. We booked half board and were able to eat in 5 of the 7 restaurants the food was very good in all of the restaurants, however service in main restaurant was not quick i.e. clearing of tables and resetting them. I would go back to this hotel. 4 star hotel 5 star facilities

Room Tip: the bathroom was very small so you might get a larger one if you go for higher grade room, we were...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Fortina? Share your experiences!