“Lovely old setting with fantastic service” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Mdina
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Dine in truly romantic surroundings beneath the flowering Oleander tree in the vine-clustered courtyard during the summer, and by candle-light and an open log fireplace that keeps the restaurant warm during the winter months. The Medina presents a selected à la Carte menu based on Mediterranean and local cuisine, frequently changed to guarantee the pleasure of regular diners.
Shetland
“Lovely old setting with fantastic service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Two friends and I dined at this restaurant in October 2012. The service was superb, the range on the menu was both varied and reasonably priced.
The building has a real charm, along with the waiters.

Across from us sat a family with two children under 10yrs who were well catered for and welcomed.

As a veggie I often struggle for meal options, I had to actually decide what I wanted for a change to the usual pick the one option on the menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Turkish first
Pangbourne, United Kingdom
“Romantic courtyard under glass - great atmosphere and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We found The Medina on our last night in Mdina, and had a really good evening and meal. As noted by others, drinks are served in the bar area which is very pleasant, before moving to the table. I chose seared scallops followed by fresh sea bream and both were very good portions. The bream was truly huge, very well cooked and the vegetables were perfectly al dente. The kitchen managed well with the main restaurant at the same time as a very large private party which looked like about 30 people. The service was very good quality - wine poured for you etc, and the Medina compared very well with a high quality UK restaurant. We were staying at the Xara Palace and chose to eat in the Medina rather than the hotel restaurant. I would definitely recommend it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Valletta, Malta
“Perfect for a romantic dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went to the mentioned restaurant on the 17th of october on our anniversary.we were immediately impressed with the atmosphere. It was romantic and quiet.we were seated in the lounge to have a drink while preparing the table and taking food and wine order.We ordered a saute of mushrooms with gnocchi di patata and agnellotti squid ink with fontina cheese and mange tout for starter, then two fillets of beef with a trio of onions for main course.then we had a caramel pannacottta for dessert.the mushrooms although for me were too creamy, the taste was superb.the agnellotti i was very dissapointed because being a chef i know that agnellotti are a pillow shaped ravioli and i noticed that they were just convenient frozen tortellacci (very disappointing) then we were served the fillet.it was cooked perfectly and the onion trio is a very good idea.then the dessert was good but too much bitter as a dessert.and something i noticed was that the garnishes for nearly all the dessert were the same.and that is a pitty.the value was a little expensive i think but never mind.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Life saver”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Nice place, we sat outside and enjoyed several meals, mainly Italian. The staff were helpful and attentive. Clean facilities. Good atmosphere. Would go back for sure.

Visited October 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A curate's egg”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was lucky with my choice, my husband less so. Huge portions are served, too big, and if you go for meat they tend to be covered in a thick brown gravy reminiscent of school and Bisto. I had two starters which was a good idea considering the size of the portions and my scallops were delicious, not overcooked, just right. My husband had some sort of sea food platter which he said was tasteless , too large for a starter and badly presented. My second course was delicious quail, again perfectly cooked and my husband had huge amounts of overlooked meat!

Visited October 2012