“Lovely restaurant in the heart of Marsaxlokk” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 43 Restaurants in Marsaxlokk
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Swieqi, Malta
“Lovely restaurant in the heart of Marsaxlokk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Good food, lovely restaurant. The lunch menu is a bit limited, however the food is very good & well presented, service is impeccable, without being intrusive. Recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sliema, Malta
“The Best Fishy Experience One can expect at a Fishing Village”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I've been meaning to go to this restaurant for quite a while.As I do not like to prebook very early in advance, whenever I tried to book on the same day on a Saturday, I was always disappointed to learn that the place was fully booked. Disappointed for not being able to squeeze in and not for the restaurant operators. Good luck to them. So last weekend as we were going out with another couple, I was adamant not to be disappointed. I decided to book a day before and apparently I was lucky as I managed to book the last table which was cancelled by someone else who on second thoughts did not wish to go there because the normally quaint fishing Village was en fete. The experience in this family run restaurant was simply wonderful. From the greeting at the door to the time we were to leave, it was a fantastic journey. We even were invited by Stephen - the Maitre d, to have a look at their modest (his words) wine cellar. This houses a fantastic range of international wines (they boast of over 150 brands, from some of the best wine regions in the world). But what I do consider a big plus is the fact that they stock one of Malta's premier wines, the Gran Maitre for which one has to fork out EUR 60 for a young 2006-2008 vintage to EUR 355 for a 2000 vintage. As we were having fish and were not in the mood for any heavy stuff, we decided to have a nice white to accompany our food. I chose Sancerre Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire Valley which was really well priced at EUR 24. When it comes to the food, Tartarun do not mess around. They pride themselves to present a menu that has a blend of signature dishes, created with a modern flair without forgetting Malta's heritage. Only carefully selected fresh local fish and produce from the surrounding villages are used in the preparation of their menu. Needless to say, being situated in Malta's most famous fishing village, Tartarun's specialty dishes consists of a great selection of fresh fish and sea-food. The four of us opted for a variety of starters (I opted for the prawn carpaccio, fluur de sel, lemon zest and olive oil, the two ladies had fish soups whilst the other gentleman had in-house salted anchovies). As for the main, needless to say we all chose from the fresh catch of the day. But what was really the surprise of the evening were the deserts. The Halva ‘helwa tat-tork’ ice-cream and the Cassata `Siciliana` were simply divine! To end this pleasant evening, we had a lovely Tawny Port (Ruby is too strong in the hot Summer months). I surely will be going back to this fine dining place and shall recommend it to any one who truly appreciates good food, lovely wines, excellent service and the right ambiance. My only regret: I never got to know what the name "Tartarun" stands for so I must go back for sure :)

Marsascala, Malta
“Fantastic Dining Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This restaurant has got to be one of my favourites! The food is simply exquisite, and the very friendly and prompt service compliments the entire meal experience! Once you start savoring the food, you get to understand the degree of passion with which the food is created.

For all fish-lovers, this will become your favourite restaurant!

• Visited May 2012
Malta
“Best fish restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This restaurant was highly recommended to us by a friend of ours. We went there as a family and it lived up to the reputation bestowed upon it by the raving reviews on tripadvisor. The decor is elegant and modern. The service was impeccable. The food? Outstanding. They were also very accomodating to my eating requirments. The home made bread was freshly baked and accompanied by a duo of salted and garlic butter. The apetizers, a welcome surprise, consisted of nero di sepia arancini- a delicacy which I have never encountered anywhere else. The taste was truly special. The swordfish carpaccio was a delicacy - it just melts in your mouth. The Royal Platter was a heavenly mix of prawns and seashells all freshly cooked. The children had duck breast for starters and were impressed with the taste. For mains my wife and I shared a pagru al sale - this was again cooked to perfection with the fish's white meat remaining moist with a distinct slightly salty flavour. The children described their ribeye as the best ever - that's saying something. For desert we all had a sorbet, either lemon, melon or peach. Melon was definitely the best. All this plus a bottle of wine came to a bill of €154 which considering the service and the quality of the food I think is perfectly justifiable. Keep it up. You have won a returning avid fish eater.

Valletta, Malta
“A Restaurant to hard to resist.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We've got to be honest. We have a big soft spot for fish places and if you are like us pescatarians then Tartarun Restaurant is a must visit. We like the choice on the menu and how the chef prepares and presents the servings. We have as yet never registered a flop on our orders. Tartarun is highly recommended , whether you are a fish or meat lover. Extensive list of good quality wines is available.
One last thing, the people at the counter are very pleasant and we liked that they rotate through taking orders, serving orders and cleaning up, so everyone did everything.

Visited July 2012