“Working holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Marsalforn
Malta, Europe
“Working holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

First time that I have been in a guest house. It was a nice experience. All was good. Such a clean place, good b'fast, continental and english, both rate very well. Joseph the owner is always there to help. I would recommend this to everyone who would like to have a quiet holiday in Gozo.

Room Tip: If you pay for the a/c you can take any room available. If not, take a room at the back.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Mellieha, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We spent a lovely long weekend in this small but very clean guest house in Gozo!! We were looking for a nice,comfortable, and clean room and a good breakfast,and that was what we had.Joseph,the owner of this family run guest house was very helpful throughout the whole stay,and offered his very good service all day!!The location of this guest house is right in the Marsalforn centre!!! 2 minutes away from the beach and all the nice restaurants!!!! Well done Joseph!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are much quieter!!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Montreux, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed 6 nights at the Lantern over the last week of April 2014. We arrived at 3:00 AM and someone was up to welcome us. First problem: the reception area is upstairs, the stairs are very steep and there is no elevator: not easy to manage with diving equipment in tow.
On the positive side, this is a very cheap place, close to the waterfront. The water pressure and temperature are fine. Staff speaks good English and is helpful. Wifi worked fine throughout the guesthouse and was free of charge.
The remainder, unfortunately, is very poor. Single bed was too narrow and very uncomfortable. Pillow was a cheap, hard, piece of material and was unusable. Sheets were paper thin and of low quality.
Room on the street side was very noisy (traffic, etc..). Room was humid and wet clothes, towels would not dry out. Breakfast was served between 7:30 and 9:30 and was mostly disgusting. Fruit juices were watery and sugary with barely a hint of fruit flavour and no pulp. Coffee was terrible, as Joseph kept it boiling to keep it warm. Eggs: Joseph only knows how to do fried and overcooked eggs: my orders for sunny side up eggs were unheeded for the duration of my stay. Sausages were dripping in cheap oil and were tasteless. Pastries were varied in presentation but all tasted awful due to an overpowering sweetness. Toast was the only good option but forget about jam: it was the lowest, cheapest brand of flavoured gelatin with not a speck of fruit in it.
We had to leave the room after breakfast on the day of departure: to their credit, staff offered to keep our luggage and to be able to take a shower upon our returning from our last dive,
In conclusion, this place is at the lowest end of the spectrum and is reserved for travellers with basic needs and very low expectations.

Room Tip: Rooms on street side are noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Qawra, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Have just spent a couple of nights at Lantern this is a family business pasted down through the family to Joseph and his wife they are very helpful and attentive. Room was clean and well presented location is very close to the seafront , Breakfast was both continental and full english available.
Overall a lovely short break which i intend to repeat very soon.

Room Tip: First floor rooms enjoy free wifi internet access
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I was directed to the Lantern by some English ex-pats in Gozo. I went for a couple of weeks but then stayed for 3 months (October to January !!! It is a perfect place to stay on Gozo; very close to the sea - only a few yards away - and also to the bus to either the capital Victoria (10 minutes away) or the Ferry. Yet it is just back from the bustling and noisy seafront promenade. It is immaculately run with excellent and varied breakfasts. Joseph is extremely helpful, informative, friendly and enthusuastic. It is very much a highly experienced family operation, and I believe has been there for 40 years or more, run by Joseph's parents who still come to help every day. Nothing was too much trouble and the whole family were helpful, kind and welcoming in every way. I think I was very fortunate indeed to have been recommended to stay there and I'm looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: I stayed first at the top of the house - excellent rooms 15 and 16 with great terrace or balcony. A...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Qawra
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed 1 night 26th Oct for our 3rd anniversary. We booked a double but it was on 3rd floor-lots of stairs and no lift (I have a severe form of spinal arthritis) so Joseph offered us a twin room on 1st floor. The room and bathroom were clean but the room was tiny and the bedding and towels were clean but very worn. It was rom 3 at the front of the house and very noisy-either the tourists shouting on the way home from the pub or the locals playing their car radios at full blast and this continued until past midnight.
There was a fan attached to the wall but if we wanted to use aircon it would cost extra (we did not need it as the fan was sufficient.)
The beds were, without exception, the worst I have ever tried to sleep in with very thin mattresses on a sheet of ply. On Sunday morning I had such a painful back-I could not have slept there another night!
Breakfast was between 7.30 and 9.30 on the first floor. I asked for a spoon for my cereal and Joseph handed me one by the end you eat off rather than by the spoon handle. We had to keep the knife we used for our cooked part of breakfast to spread our toast with butter !!
I asked for just bacon and egg but was served with sausages and beans as well and the egg yolk was solid as a rock. There was a fair choice of things for breakfast-cakes, toast, bread, cereal as well as the cooked but all in a very overcroded breakfast bar.
We ran a B & B in the UK for several years and had a 5 star food hygiene rating and were an award winning business so I do look closely. I think Joseph tries very hard but the spoon incident, the overcooked breakfast (which was not what I ordered) and the very poor condition of the beds in room 3 will ensure I never stay there again and would not recommend it to anyone. I think even guests at the budget end of the market (€55) deserve a comfortable bed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Qawra
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed her for one night - the plusses - Joseph the Owner has termendous enthusiasm and nothing seem too much trouble for him the Room was clean. The wi fi was excellent which was good as the TV was small.

The minuses - Unfortunately the room we had was small the shower toilet was so small it was difficult to use the toilet with the door shut, the twin beds were very uncomfortable the was no tean or coffe making facilities in the room.

Beakfast was a scramble - the eggs were overcooked and the Breakfast bar became a traffic jam, Sugar and milk placed on the table would overcome some of the congestion.

I hopw this is constructive critisism as we ran a small Hotel its the liitle touches that make the experience an I hope that these points can be addressed,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lantern Guest House - BAHIM hotel? Share your experiences!