“I want to hurry up and grow old so I can retire here...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Island of Gozo

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Island of Gozo
Directions
Island of Gozo, Malta
State College, Pennsylvania
“I want to hurry up and grow old so I can retire here...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

This is one of the most beautiful, simple, charming places I've ever been. I traveled to Malta for a week and visited Gozo one day. I liked it so much I skipped Comino Island (probably Malta's most popular attraction) altogether and instead went back to Gozo for a second day. Next time I'll skip Malta altogether and just holiday on Gozo. I would tell you more about specific places and things I loved, but I don't want you all to go there and turn it into touristy Malta (plus its so tiny you can find your own special places easily).

London
“Gozo - best setting for our fairytale wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

When looking for venues to have our wedding we stumbled upon the beautiful island of Gozo.

We were recommended by another review on Trip Advisor about Anna and Marvik who rent the most wonderful Farmhouses and coordinate weddings www.gozobreak.com.

We could not of asked for anything more, the island gave us plenty of history for our guests to enjoy and beautiful setting for some great photographs.

The Farmhouses owned by Anna and Marvik were amazing, every little detail was attended to. The traditional feel of the Farmhouse we stayed in added to the fairytale story of our pefect day.

On the run up to and the actual day of our wedding we could not of asked any more of Anna and Marvik, their dedication and attention to detail was absolutely amazing. All the supplier that they had introduced us to, photographers, reception venues, musicians and so on were excellent they were very warm and welcoming people to have play a part in our special day.

We had a brilliant day and can not thank Anna and Marvik and the people of Gozo enough.

Whether you are looking for a wedding venue, a relaxing holding, a holiday with plenty of history give gozo ago. Like us I think you'll be amazed.

kent uk
“Gozo - you'll love it or hate it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

What to say about Gozo, well, it is without doubt a marmite kind of place. You will either love it or loathe it.

The island is small, about 9 by 5 miles. To reach the island you need to take one of the frequent ferries from Malta. The arrival point is the small harbour of Mgarr. The ferry terminal has just had a long awaited up grade. From here you can access the island by bus or car. If you intend to drive be warned, the locals drive in the shade and have little concept of what we would recognise as a highway code.

The island itself is rocky with very few sandy beaches. Ramla Bay and Hondoq bay are the best. Although Hondoq is being threatened by a massive marina development, which will totally, ruin it. Xlendi Bay used to have small gently sloping sandy beach but has now been totally spoilt by massive over development.

The capital and hub of the island is Victoria. All buses run to and from the bus station in Victoria. Car parking in Victoria is difficult, the relatively new traffic wardens are over zealous in the extreme.

Victoria with its town centre market, It Tokk is well worth a morning expedition. Do make the effort of climbing upto the Citadella. The cathedral is well worth a look and the view from the massive ramparts covers just about the whole island.

The people are, on the whole, very friendly. However, bus drivers, shopkeepers and waiting staff can come across as being surly.

The peak summer season can be fiercely hot 95 degrees and upwards. There is little respite from the heat even at night. Also in summer the island is invaded by the Maltese people taking their summer holidays, so beaches etc can become very packed.

If you want a beach style holiday or want to go clubbing every night I would not recommend Gozo at all. If you want somewhere with history and interesting places to visit, somewhere that is a bit “left field” then Gozo could be for you.

I’d visit now, for I fear that in another 10 years or so the island will be spoilt by all the over development that is going on.

UK
“Tranquil & Peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

Our friend who visits the island very often recommended this island and we are happy we have visited Gozo for 2 weeks. It's great for walks in the country side especially close to the sea. We visited in May as our friend said that the island is overpopulated in summer. We had a wonderful time in sunny gozo, the people from whom we hired the apartment in Marsalforn live close by so were very helpful, hospitable and made sure we enjoyed our holiday. To mention a few places, I still remember!.... we visited Ramla Bay, San Blas which is quite steep to go there but its like a secret beach, Dwejra, the citadel, Ggantija Temples, a nice walk to the Lighthouse. As you can see on the map it is a small island so you get from one point to another in a very short time. I can say we really came back home relaxed and restful. We look forward to go again perhaps next year.

Bicester, United Kingdom
“gozo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

gozo is a beutiful little island. theres lots of things to do. but the only gnat of the island is that normally the seas are quite choppy and full of jelly fish! but that is rare. the crime rate is lower than usual. you have to get a ferry across from malta

Been to Island of Gozo? Share your experiences!