TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“Decent for Lagos” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Regent

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ikeja
The Regent
You added The Regent to your Saves list
25 Joel Ogunnaike Street, Ikeja GRA, Nigeria   |
Ranked #3 of 33 Ikeja B&B and Inns
citizen of the world
“Decent for Lagos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Lagos hotels are not known for value-for-money and fortunately this place fit the company budget for an extended business stay. The room was clean, since the hotel is new, and fairly spacious. The TV could offer more choice; 5 channels got pretty boring after a while. The WiFi was acceptable and free. The gym was very basic. Breakfast was dismal and despite talking to the restaurant manager about offering more choice and receiving promises that it would improve, nothing happened. There are a couple of decent restaurants within walking distance although each time I walked out onto the filthy Lagos street I wanted to return to my room immediately. This hotel is very good on a Lagos scale but probably only average on a world scale.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lagos
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Located in the busy Ikeja GRA of Lagos, this new hotel has the good, the bad and the ugly. the food was fair but the spectrum was very restricted with very few options to choose from. The staff were courteous, the furniture and furnishings were good. The meeting rooms were good. There was very little parking space, view from the hotel was unexciting. The male toilet in the lobby had faulty urinals. Hotel has good potential but better management required.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Having stayed a number of times in the ghastly Sheraton Hotel I was looking forward to staying at the new Regent Hotel. The website looked promising and the close proximity to the airport was a plus. The hotel is a mixture of the not too bad and the truly awful. I was staying for a 4 day conference and due to security concerns was more or less trapped there the whole time.

So first the good. The hotel was by and large clean and tidy. Not something that can be said for the Sheraton. The hotel staff were willing and helpful although there lack of training really showed in the quality of service - in any Asian hotel these staff would not last 5 minutes. My room was large and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was clean and bright, the water was hot and the shower powerful. Why though supply only shampoo and a tiny bar of soap? It would be great to get shower gel as well. The pool area was small but inviting although I did not swim and there is a tiny gym for the exercise conscious. Since the hotel was small, only two floors, it never felt over crowded or noisy. The security was tight and I never felt unsafe while I was there.

Now for the bad and there is a lot for the managment to address

The food was truly awful. Breakfast consisted of instant coffee and teabags to make your own, stale white bread or rolls with some very poor quality jam, a couple of open packets of breakfast cereal and orange juice. That was it. One could order eggs at extra cost. I tried one day and after 10 minutes when nothing had happened eventually cancelled the order so I cannot tell you how they were. Lunch and evening meals were little better. On my return a friend asked if I had lost weight on my trip - probably I had, as I ate so little in the hotel. While I was there the hotel held a Sunday buffet for 5500 Naira a head to which about 8-10 people came. No wonder at that price and with that quality of food no doubt word has got around with the locals not to bother.

The TV in my room had 6 or 7 channels so not bad but it seemed the person in the next room had a powerful remote control as every time they switched channels the channel on my TV changed as well. So eventually I gave up watching

The conference venue was situated right next to the hotel generator. Whilst power failures are a fact of life in Lagos and kept on disrupting the conference, having the generator right next to the venue made it impossibly noisy every time it came on. The projector in the venue had been mounted so high in the ceiling that the picture it projected was skew on the wall. We eventually had to bring in our own projector.

There was a school on one side of the hotel and a construction site on the other, so fairly noisy during the day but this will hopefully improve.

With some attention to staff training and a lot of attention to making the food better this hotel could do reasonably well. As it was, it was virtually empty other than the people in our conference group. On the strength of this stay I would be very reluctant to return unless I knew the hotel had made a lot of effort to improve

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Regent? Share your experiences!