TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

De Renaissance Hotel
172 Obafemi Awolowo Way | Ikeja Lagos, Ikeja, Nigeria   |
Ranked #6 of 11 hotels in Ikeja
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Overall, a good experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Anyone expecting Western standards in West African hotels is likely to be disappointed
(unless you've very deep pockets). I recently spent 9 weeks in the de Renaissance, so good and bad points. Don't stay above the 3rd floor - the water pressure doesn't make it. My room was large and well cleaned every day ( except for the window sills). The grouting in the bathroom did leak but I was pleased to be getting the hot water! The pool worked but the gym equipment didn't. They were ripping it out as I left so maybe it does now. I found the staff helpful and friendly( where they didn't have to keep quiet about the water pressure) and the food fine ( depends on your expectations). The manager, Neil, worked exceptionally hard. The location is great with the Shoprite mall next door. I was pleased to be going back there every day, particularly when I heard about others' experiences in different hotels. The internet wifi access was sometimes dodgy. I'm not sure whether they could do much about it.

Room Tip: Stay below the 4th floor!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Amber J, Manager at De Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for this lovely review, our internet service is now miles better. Please whenever you come to Lagos, must visit in our hotel to see the changes what new management has made.

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The manager and his wife creepily sit in the lobby as one of the reviewers mentioned and watch as the front desk staff flat out refuse to address any problems/ issues of concerns to their guests/clients. Horrible service, dirty and unkept rooms esp. the bathroom, did,i mention bad service. All in all, would not recommend or even put my dog in here even if offered for free.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,

We are extremely sorry for all the inconvenience which occurred during your stay.

This review is not applicable for now, the new management is on ground. We have finished the refurbishment exercise in our hotel to upgrade the services. Shortly we are going to update our hotel website with all the new changes what we have done in the hotel to make the guest stay full of comfort.
West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is by far the worse hotel I've experience in my life!!!
The people at front desk never greet you, never smiles and they are worthless and useless when it comes to any information you need.
The restaurant sucks and their food is the worse!!
Pool?? Gym?? It never works, broken equipment, hot and small !!
The rooms are unsafe, windows don't lock and are not tight!! Rooms are filled with mildew, showers leak water all over the floor, no hot water on the sink, mildew and dirty caulking all over the shower.
Their internet service is like non exist!! the manager is rude and do nothing to accomodate your needs.
Thier laudry service sucks, my clothes came back worse then they picked up!!
Bed sheets has holes and it's all stained!! It's ridiculous!!
You may decided to check for your self, sorry for you!! But this is what they are!!
They put me in this room which in the morning the employees would start screaming and yelling at each other underneat my window around 6:00am waking me up!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Amber J, Manager at De Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are extremely sorry about the experience what you had here, we have improved our services as well as new management is on ground. We would request you please visit us once again and give us a last chance to serve you.
Beresford, South Dakota, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

After reading the previous reviews, I am wondering if I staying the same hotel!!! I believe this is my fourth trip to Nigeria - it is definitely not a country for the weak of heart! I stayed at the Four Points Sheraton previously, but this is out of the way for our business meetings. The Sheraton is closer, but would be over $500 per night, and the Protea almost $600. Anyway, I ended up at this hotel due to my business partner who put me up here. He couldn't say enough positive about it - he's had several people stay here and they loved it. However, from the moment I walked in the door, I had a bad feeling. The clerk at the front desk never smiled, and the people at the bar (where I had a few drinks before I went to bed) didn't seem interested. But I thought, well, I'm tired from the delayed flight from Angola, so I'll just ignore that. Well, at 6am, I started hearing someone throwing glass into a dumpster (or so I thought, I used to live next to a bar in Chicago). Next, the housekeeper woke me up to see if he could clean the room (I said "no"). He then came back two more times (ignoring the "do not disturb" sign on the door). Then I found out there was no hot water in the sink in the bathroom, which made for a pretty rough shave. Then I needed to check on my e-mails and the internet was virtually non-existant. I went downstairs to tell them about all the things that were bothering me, and the front desk said they would put me in another room. They never called a manager to say they were sorry about the inconviences, etc. although I found out later that he was sitting across from me in the lobby! The room they wanted to move me to was also in the back of he hotel, and I said that this would have the same glass-breaking and cement hauling noise as the previous night, and they said, "no, all the construction is over now." LOL. Like I would believe that. Needless to say, I left and went to the Best Western Plus, just down the street. I was a little skeptical, but the people here are really nice and so are the rooms and the meals. It is worth the extra bucks to feel safe and that someone actually cares about you. Plus, they have a free shuttle to the airport - bonus!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Amber J, Front Office Manager at De Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in February 2010 for 7 nights. Got it at half price as it was the valentine's period. I have been relectant to write because I could not find thier website to back it up but now it is available. You will be impressed the minute you get to the lobby. The rooms are spacious well decorated and to very high standards that is very hard to find in Lagos.

Please see thier website, Although it does not do justice to the hotel, it gives you a pretty good idea, The swimming pool is heated first thing in the morning around 5am so you can start using it. The gym although small is functional. Compared to the less than 1 star hotels where you pay almost 200 pounds, This is of very high standard. The staff are very friendly. Security is good, I was surprised to see armed police in corners of the hotel

The one thing that impressed me the most was when the treadmill key got lost for two days, I complained to the manager, I was not aware that the owner's wife who oversees the place was listening and obviously felt my frustartion, She ordered the one in thier house to be brought in in less than two hours. That is customer service which is rare in Nigeria.

My only slight concern will be the bathroom, although of high standard and spacious compared to most Nigerian hotels, the standard of the decor in the rooms are so high that the bathroom lets it down a bit. Also Breakfast should be included in the room cost. But overall thumbs up for this gem.

A very satisfied customer!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw was great. I even asked to see the presidential suite just for the experience.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for your lovely comment.
Wichita Falls, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I have been to Lagos five time in the past four years. All the locals say one or two names when asked for a GOOD QUALITY hotel...the problem is, to get a decent hotel in Lagos, even comparable to a two-star hotel in the states, one must fork out at least $350. I found this place by accident and frustration after my $200 per night hotel turned out to be the usual dump. Got there and saw a $350 rack rate. Was ready to walk out when to my surprise the clerk was willing to seriously negotiate. I was able to get a first class room for $175 per night for the three night. Granted it was Friday-Monday, but I was thrilled. Finally, a decent, quality place in Lagos at a reasonable price. I am not sure that this place outclasses the $350+ per night hotels. But it was new. Everything worked. Staff was friendly. Amenities like restaurant and comfortable lobby were top class. I am a HARD reviewer. I have only done this once before. My advice is, if you can get this place for anything from $250 downwards, it would be awesome for Lagos. It is not too far from the airport (but with traffic it took an hour), and at least you will not be burdened with the usual TIA excuses.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

Been to De Renaissance Hotel? Share your experiences!