“What's a veggie supposed to eat?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Oakhill Inn

You added The Oakhill Inn to your Saves list
The Oakhill Inn
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Fosse Road, Oakhill, Shepton Mallet BA3 5HU, England   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 2 Oakhill B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bath, United Kingdom
“What's a veggie supposed to eat?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This is only a review of the restaurant. This is our local pub and I have grumbled many times about the poor vegetarian choice. There is really nothing at all on the bar menu if I don't was a ploughman's.

I tried the goat's cheese salad from the main menu. The sun-dried tomatoes were so stringy and chewy that I could barely manage them. The salad was very small indeed and was absolutely drowning in dressing (the menu describes it a "balsamic glaze"). I could hardly eat any of it and there was only one item on the main course menu - a risotto with black garlic and slightly oddly featuring eggs!

The chips were very good and I consoled myself with these.

The atmosphere of the pub is great and I would like to be able to enjoy a variety of tasty food that is cooked better than I can cook myself..But I will be patronising the far less atmospheric Mendip Inn when i was a meal because of it far better menu.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Lovely room with a huge bathroom (we paid the extra for this and I'd say it was well worth it). We stayed for a week, ate here every night without having the same thing twice and it was all delicious. The breakfast was good too. Staff very friendly and welcoming.

The free wifi alas did not reach our room, though apparently it's fine in others and it's not a problem as you can always pop down to the bar where it works fine.

The car park is small and fills up quickly as this is obviously a popular local pub but it was no problem to find a space on the very quiet high street.

One issue: my partner came back to stay here in September and they had messed up the booking so that he had to find somewhere else for the last night of his stay. He didn't find this out until he'd already arrived.

I will probably go back here but I'll definitely be calling ahead to make the sure the booking has really happened.

Room Tip: We went for the large bathroom, for which you pay extra, but I think it was worth it.
Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The main road was closed so we got diverted past this inn.We are new to the area so didn't know it was here. Stopped for dinner and it was great, had a burger and fish and chips both top class. Good butcombe bitter, friendly locals with their dogs completed a pleasant evening. Will recommend and return.

Room Tip: Only had dinner
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Recently had a wonderful experience staying here with our 3 (well behaved) dogs. We stayed in room 3 which had plenty of space. The rooms are decorated well in a rustic style which oozed old English charm. Beautifully starched white linen adorned a comfortable Victorian bedstead.
Downstairs the staff were very friendly and accepting of the dogs asking us if we would prefer to eat in the restaurant or that they were happy to lay a table for us in the bar should we wish to have the dogs downstairs with us.

Free wifi and comfy sofas downstairs also added to the comfort and charm factor.

We ate dinner and breakfast. Both were excellent. Considered presentation and well sourced local produce added to the quality and ambience. The black pudding was the best i'd tasted and on enquiring; chef was more than happy to bring out the whole pudding to talk about it.

Having never stayed anywhere overnight with our dogs before for fear of being treated as outcasts, I can honestly say we were thrilled with the service and welcome we received.

Id happily recommend this stop off to anyone (with or without your pooches!!)

Room Tip: All rooms looked spacious and well appointed.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed there monday the 2nd september 2013.Friendly staff and nice rooms.Very old property but nice on the inside big and beautiful bathroom with both shower and bath!Nice big superking size bed!Only bad experience was the breakfest.Had salmonand scrembled eggs+toast,full english and bacon and eggs as tehere was a 3 of us all greasy so couldn`t eat it.Otherwise great experience even though there is no phone reception unless you are on O2-Telefonica and GPS sat nav in the area works very poorly!Decent pub and bar in the lobby area and wi-fi available as well.Recommended 4/5!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The food is very, very good and the ambience relaxed and friendly. I was taken there the previous day by a friend that lives locally and decided to take my family the next day. All of the 7 dishes ordered were exemplary.

Everything I want in a pub and it is now recorded as a 'favourite' in my GPS.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Have just come back from a 2nt stay at the Oakhill Inn and we had a brilliant time at this accommodation.
Its a lovely B&B, the garden is gorgeous, the staff are extra friendly and helpful. The breakfast is probably the best I have had anywhere (and I am ex travel industry) and it is conveniently located for Glastonbury, Wells and Shepton Mallet (we did all 3). It was great to come back to the Inn after a long day on the road and have a relaxing cider in the garden. The Inn is quiet enough to get a decent nights sleep and the bed was very comfortable.
There were roadworks going on outside of the Inn so the staff phoned us weeks in advance to give us directions to avoid the road closure (extra helpful) and also when we forgot to put in our breakfast order for the following day then I received a text to see if we would like to place our order and time for breakfast. Service was above and beyond expectation !.
This accommodation made our stay !.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Oakhill Inn? Share your experiences!