“Catering for allergies is more than just tolerating” 2 of 5 stars

Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Cardrona, Peebles EH45 8NE, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cardrona
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Catering for allergies is more than just tolerating”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I recently stayed 2 nights at this hotel and as I have a "cows milk allergy" I thought it best I contact them before travelling, the response I received from Holly on reception should have been a warning as when I tried to explain my allergy to her, she gave a very audible exasperated sigh as if it was to much much trouble for her and it took 4 attempts before she finally listened.
Maybe Holly new something I didn't, as the hotel did not cater for my allergy, they merely tolerated me and did not offer any replacement meals.
On the first night "New Year's Eve" I managed to find something on the menu that I could eat and it was a very enjoyable meal, however I had to go to a supermarket and buy my own dairy free spread as the hotel hadn't bothered.
On the second night there was next to nothing on the menu that I could eat. Of the 4 starters, all contained milk product and I was given a hastily thrown together starter that consisted of slices of under ripe melon, old curled up sour passion fruit and some slices of very bitter orange. This starter I left as it was disgusting and on telling the waiter this, he laughed in my face. All 4 main dishes contained milk products and all I could have was a steak and chips without any sauce. Once again the 4 dessert choices contained milk products and at this point I left the table very upset and tried to speak to the manager but he never offered any solution merely saying that my body language and hand signals were quite aggressive.
When I pointed out that I was very upset and his hand signals were identical to mine, he had no answer, nor did he have any answer to my dietary requirements nor did he apologies for the fact that I could not be fed. This however did not stop him from charging for the food I could not eat.
During our 2 night stay at this hotel my wife probably spent more time cleaning our room than the staff had prior to our arrival or during our stay. The window ledge had many dirty rings on it that had obviously been there for some time, the bedside cabinets also had similar rings and the toilet was not cleaned during our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Galashiels, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The hotel is in a beautiful setting and the leisure facility's are superb. Our room was a decent size wit two chairs. We were attending a wedding and a brief seat in the chairs left our clothes covered in dog hairs. We had to clean our newly laundered clothes before we could leave the room to attend the wedding. We had requested a no smoking room, but never thought to request a no pets room, if such a thing exists. It's one thing a hotel allowing pets and this may unit dog owners, but not everyone appreciates being allocated a room full of dog hairs. If I had known about them allowing pets I would not have booked (I never book in to a hotel that allows pets) . As someone else has already said, the room was cold with the heater turned off and it took a while to heat up. It was the end of December so I would have thought try could have put the heating on prior to our arrival. We will now have to put all our clothes that we wore in the room into the cleaners, so have ended up with an added expense that was not budgeted for. Disappointed and will certainly not return to a Macdonalds hotel while they have a 'pets welcome' policy.

Room Tip: Don't book if you have a problem with dog hairs.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Spent Christmas here with my elderly mother, brother & sister in law. My mother is disabled and so this hotel is just perfect for anyone with mobility issues - easy to get around and spacious well laid out, quiet bedrooms. Wonderful views over the (very flooded!) golf course to the hills beyond. Great pool - decent size too for a hotel pool - plus well equipped gym. I had a massage - very relaxing. Food was fine, without being absolutely amazing - breakfasts done particularly well. We ate mainly in the Renwicks Restaurant which had just the right atmosphere for the clientele, who are 'slightly on the mature side' at Christmas! Service was excellent in the restaurant, bar area and rooms - prompt and helpful.
We stayed on a 3 night package, which was exceptionally good value; before chosing, I'd checked out most of the hotels in the area and this one was certainly the best value over Christmas.

Room Tip: Fourth floors - both sides have good views but the golf views are better.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hyde, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

The views from bedrooms and restaurant which overlook the golf course and hills beyond at the rear of the hotel are magnificent. The staff are friendly, courteous, respectful and professional. The spa facilities are excellent - large pool, steam room, sauna and well equipped gym - but no jacuzzi. The restaurant meals were first class and what you should expect from a 4 star hotel. Our stay was on a Macdonald dinner, B & B deal and excellent value for what you got. The hotel is in an excellent location to explore the Scottish Lowlands and Edinburgh. If you live in the NW of England and use a sat nav - and are in a hurry to get there or back home - take the A74(M) A708 route to avoid the scenic - but time consuming B roads. One last tip - check the bill on departure. We were being over-charged for 2 bar meals which had been placed on our account in error.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a 4th floor room overlooking the golf course and hills beyond.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

3rd year attending the Christmas party night, a couples get together and a lot of dancing, great music, food abs company! The rooms are very comfortable and impeccable as the ever.. The first snow started to follow which, made the senery even over magical... Until next time x

• Stayed December 2012
stockton on tees
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had a beautiful weekend away at this hotel in October, the mists over the River Tweed framed by the hills were spectacular from our bedroom window. We have been to the Cardrona many times before which should speak for itself. But if you want a quiet weekend away in the hills of the Borders then this is the place, it is for us. We often remark that the hotel does not look brilliant from the outside but in this case the beauty is within. The food is imaginative without being bizarre (if you know what we mean) and the restaurant is comfortable and welcoming. Book early to get a window seat, but in October with the nights closing in this is not so important. Cardrona is the perfect Scottish getaway for us and it is only a short car drive from Peebles, but you can walk there if you are fit! We will be returning again and no doubt again.

Room Tip: Both sides of the hotel have beautiful views but the side not facing the road is very quiet and gets...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This hotel is right on the road and our bedroom was at the front of the hotel, but we didn't hear any noise (there wasn't a lot of traffic though!). Our bedroom was very nice - tastefully decorated, really comfortable bed, good choice of tea/coffee/hot chocolate, shortbread, etc. Good sized room with a small seating area and plenty of storage space - wardrobe, shelves and draws. Great bathroom with a bath and a walk in shower, which had plenty of power. Fabulous views over the surrounding the countryside and right next to the river with good walks. There were some children in the hotel who ran up and down the corridors making loads of noise and they were in the swimming pool when we were going to go in, so we didn't make use of the facilities. Staff were very helpful and friendly. The only disappointment was the food. Our evening meal was mediocre, but the breakfast was very poor. The eggs were undercooked (clear slimey white), the black pudding was incredibly greasy, grizzle in the bacon, one spongey mushroom, etc. Glad it was included in the price of B&B because it was expensive if you had to pay for it and it certainly wouldn't have been worth it!

Room Tip: If you're bothered by noise, the hotel is on a main road, so ask for a room at the back of the h...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!