“Fab-u-lous Darling!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Activities: Dining
Co Durham, England
“Fab-u-lous Darling!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Have just returned from a two night stay at this fabulous spa and would recommend it to everyone. I wish I could live there permanently.

Vistied with 3 friends for a 'special' birthday celebration and that's exactly what we had - a very special, relaxing and pampered weekend. This place has everything - a perfect location, first class facilities, professional but friendly staff and great food. Will definitely be back.

Visited November 2012
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle Health Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

How kind of you to share your experience of your recent two night stay at Stobo, particularly with regard to your comment about our genuinely caring staff.

With kind regards,

Scotland
“Yet another fantastic stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just back from my seventh visit to this amazing spa.
Relaxation is the name of the game here which starts as you take a slow, beautiful drive up to the castle.
Nothing is too much trouble here, spa amazing, rooms verrry comfortable and all the staff without exception are courteous, helpful and friendly with a particular mention to the waiting staff in the dining room. Very professional.
Teresa, stobo's long time amazing chef never fails to provide nothing short of very good, memorable food 5 star.
Went with friends and we all agree this is an annual treat we will be having for many years to come. See you all next year xx

Visited November 2012
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle Health Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review, following your latest visit to Stobo.

I was particularly gratified to read your comments about our staff, especially Mother Teresa who does such an amazing job in the kitchen.

We all look forward to looking after you again when you return to Stobo next year.

With best wishes,
Burntisland, United Kingdom
“Will also never be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Can I start off by saying that the grounds, the facilities, the food and all the staff bar 1 receptionist and the owner were excellent. We were a party of 14 and left feeling great and had all had a fantastic time. When we were 25 miles away from Stobo we received a phone call asking if we had 2 extra bags on board that did not belong to us. The driver of our bus stopped and we all checked the bags only to realise that we indeed did have 2 bags that were not ours. The driver had been told from reception which pile of bags were ours, as we were all having lunch and loaded them all on the bus. One of our party contacted Stobo and asked if we could leave the bags at a local hotel or police station to be picked up by a member of Stobo staff, as several of our passengers had to get home to small children. The receptionist at Stobo was very rude and was shouting at my friend down the phone to return the bags immedietly. We done this and returned to Stobo with the bags. Instead of being thanked for returning the bags and an apology for the confusion, we were verbally abused by a member of reception and the Owner of the establishment. I have never been spoken to and treated with such disrespect in my life. The pure arrogance of the Owner was disgusting. He was shouting at several members of our party, pointing in there faces and was accusing our bus driver of being a theif and a liar. After having been treated in this way several of us said we would not be back to which the owner responded that he did not want any of us back. I was dumbfounded when he said this when we had all went out of our way to return these bags. When we realised he was not listening to any of us and just continued to blame our driver and verbally abuse us, we decided to leave and get home but he actually chased us to the bus still ranting and raving. Our party had spent well in excess of £2500. I am now home and cannot quite believe this actually happened. To have such a great time and for the owner to have spoilt it like that was utterly disgraceful. We were already talking about going back next yr while we were there as it was so good but I can assure you now that I will never set foot in that establishment again. I think this man needs to have a serious look at his behaviour and go on a much needed course in customer services.

Visited November 2012
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle Health Spa, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, following your visit to Stobo last weekend. I believe I have already dispelled the myth in an earlier response that any of our staff identified the luggage that belonged to your party, to your driver.

It is absolutely untrue that our head receptionist was "very rude and was shouting" at your friend - she quietly insisted that the driver was responsible for returning the missing bags and this can be independently verified by the owners of the bags who were standing on the other side of the desk at the time, and indeed, by other guests who were also in the reception area. It is exactly this sort of outrageous allegation that undermines the credibility of your account.

It is also totally untrue that I called your driver a thief. He criticised the fact that we have no control over who picks up what luggage is left in a public area - I responded by saying we have no such measure in place as we don't anticipate anyone mistakenly collecting luggage that does not belong to them. It was then that he made the ridiculous comment "are you calling me a thief?"

I will be the first to admit that I reacted negatively to the question put to me by one of your party who said "how do we know you're not lying?" As I have said before, I don't tell lies and I deeply resented any suggestion to this effect.

I fully take on board that you were only 20 minutes from your final destination and you all had children to get home to. It begs the question, if you're paying for the hire of the bus, why you didn't insist that the driver complete the journey. I suspect he played a large part in the decision to return to Stobo with no concern for the inconvenience this would cause you, simply because he couldn't be bothered with another round trip from Fife to the Borders.

I am more than happy to apologise for any offence I caused, but I think your driver needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and admit his indiscretions in this matter.
“Will never be back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

I will never be back and would strongly encourage everyone to think twice about visiting Stobo Castle due to the behaviour of the owner and the staff. The owner left several of our party feeling threatened and accused members of our party of being thieves and liars.

Our party spent in excess of £2,500 during the trip and to have been treated in this way is nothing short of a disgrace.

The whole issue was surrounding 2 bags, which had been wrongly placed beside our bags in the reception area and subsequently were put on our bus by our driver. The issue with the bags came to light when our bus was 25 miles away from Stobo. To help the situation the driver turned back and the bags were returned to Stobo. Instead of being thanked for his co-operation the driver was accused of being a thief & a liar.

I am aware that misunderstandings can happen etc but what I cannot accept is the unprofessional manner adopted by the staff and owner in dealing with this situation.

stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle Health Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review of your visit to Stobo Castle last weekend.

When our Head Receptionist contacted you to say that the driver of your bus had inadvertently taken away two suitcases belonging to other guests, she politely requested that the driver return them to the castle - she was informed that you were only 20 minutes from your destination in Fife. Given that these other guests were heading home due west to Prestwick, the suggestion that they should meet you halfway was clearly impracticable. On the assumption that you and your party would firstly complete your journey home, and it would then take a couple of hours for your driver to return the suitcases, I suggested to the ladies from Prestwick that they should press on home and we would ensure that their bags would be delivered by 6pm that evening.

Instead, your driver returned to Stobo with a pretty upset party on board, laying the blame for his error on our staff. At no time did any of our receptionists point out the luggage that was destined for Fife. You will recall that your driver initially blamed our porter for this alleged misinformation. The porter was on a short break when your driver collected the luggage and, at no time, engaged in any conversation with him. Having disproved this false accusation, your driver pointed the finger of blame on a totally innocent receptionist whose only "crime" was to organise a cup of tea for your driver when he first arrived.

As any past guest or supplier will confirm, Stobo is run with the utmost integrity. I don't tell lies, my staff don't tell lies - if we make a mistake, we own up to it and redress the situation by leaning on the generous side of fair in terms of any reparation.

What is not in question is that the driver failed in his basic duty to ensure that all the luggage he collected actually belonged to the occupants of the bus - he then attempted to cover up what started as an honest mistake by shifting the blame to our staff - in so doing, he succeeded in alienating the 14 guests in your party.

Incidentally, such is our commitment to customer service, we arranged for a taxi at some considerable cost to deliver the missing luggage to two seperate addresses in Prestwick on the Sunday evening.

In closing, it is a matter of huge regret that what you described as a "wonderful stay" should be marred by such a degree of controversy.
Livingston, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
“Very nice but hen party spoiled my visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Don't let this put you off too much. It's a lovely spa in a great country location. Good facilities and a lovely Japanese garden to discover. The lunch was good. I had no treatments but others reported good experiences. I suspect that this is not isolated, hen parties book up and then can be loud - it's a personal thing, but I like my spa days to be peaceful.

Visited January 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to post a review of your experience, when you visited Stobo for the day in January.

As I'm sure you will appreciate, there can be a degree of exuberance when we have a number of guests in the same party all catching up with each other. Park Lodge, with accommodation for up to 12 guests, is ideal for hen parties in that it has its own lounge and there is no risk of other guests being disturbed.

As far as possible, we do try to ensure that an air of tranquility prevails.

With kind regards,