“So Stobo.....so heavenly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stobo Castle

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stobo
Stobo Castle
Stobo, Stobo EH45 8NY , Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Stobo
“So Stobo.....so heavenly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

As regular guests for the past 17 years, we have seen many changes at Stobo. It just gets better and better! So we can start with the beautiful castle and surroundings, the wonderful staff, the quality of the sumptious food, the spotlessly maintained Spa....just when you think things can't get any better, they do. We love the period surroundings in the rooms, which retains the authentic character of the castle, complemented with the ultra modern surroundings of the spa. The owner Mr Winyard is clearly dedicated to providing the highest standards possible and ensures the comfort of his guests, taking time personally to talk with guests to get feedback and ideas for how things could be improved. This is taken on board and before you know it, a new hot tub has appeared! I would like to personally thank Mr Winyard and all his wonderful staff for making each and every stay a wonderful experience of complete rest and relaxation. A warm welcome awaits you from the long serving staff who go above and beyond the call of duty. Just wonderful and we can't praise the whole Stobo experience enough. Mr Winyard, it must be a pleasure working with such dedicated people who go that extra mile. Looking forward to what will be our second visit of the year in a couple of weeks. Stobo is heaven on earth!

• Stayed January 2013
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you once again for your most generous review, following your latest visit to Stobo.

I am incredibly proud of the commitment shown by all our staff towards providing our guests with the highest standards of care at all times. It really is a pleasure to work alongside them.

We all look forward to the distinct pleasure of welcoming you back to Stobo in the next few weeks.

With best wishes,

581 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I Just relay don't get it.Was my first to Stobo and wasn't really that impressed .The Spa is great with the addition of a outside hot tub was different ,but for a male there not that much on offer in the way of facilities . clearer information of what activities are on and what time would be helpful, maybe there was but i couldn't find it.The hotel is a big let down the room we were in was very tired ,water marks on head boards where people had put their heads with wet hair. The bed didn't have a top sheet on them with the duvet cover not being made from Egyptian cotton or even cotton which you would expect to find in a five star hotel or spa ,but good old 50/50 poly cotton. Didn't sleep that well as the panel heater made noises through the night.The bathroom was a joke peach and avacado tiles, marks on the bath, rawl plug holes on tiles just grouted up.The basin had no hot or cold indicators on taps so was annoying to figure out which was which all the time.Meal times were just ok there wasn't a great choice one hot starter which was soup! three or four mains and four puddings and same at lunchtime breakfast was good . When you sit down and think about value for money its hard we to see where you get it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the trouble to review your stay at Stobo on Tripadvisor.

I'd like to apologise unreservedly for the maintenance problems in your room that compromised the enjoyment of your stay - these will be rectified as a matter of urgency and many thanks for bringing these issues to my attention.

The menu at Stobo is perhaps more limited than other hotels, however this ensures that every single dish can be freshly prepared and cooked to order, which I'm sure is appreciated by many of our guests.

With regard to the facilities, I'd like to confirm that these are split pretty evenly - we do have seperate Health Suites for Ladies and Gentlemen (where Ladies enjoy an Aromatic Steam room and Laconium, and Gents have a sauna and steam room) and all other facilities are mixed.

I'm sorry you felt we let you down on this occasion and hope, with the passage of time, you'll consider a return visit to Stobo.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

After reading some reviews i felt the need the need to write my own review, i have been going to stobo since i was 16 and i am now 23. I have never in all the time i have been going to stobo ever incurred an of the above 'complaints' and think some people are just hard to please. Upon my many visits to stobo the staff have been nothing but very friendly and very helpful and their has never been a single thing wrong with any room i have ever stayed in! I am returning to stobo in 10 days as i am expecting my second child and i cannot wait to relax in utter peace and quiet! Its has everything you could possibly need and want for a relaxing break and the food especially is always wonderful!

Room Tip: staying in the castle is a must!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

I can't tell you how much all our staff enjoy reading reviews such as your own! Every single one of them is dedicated to looking after our guests to the highest standard and it gives them all such a boost to see that their efforts are appreciated.

I was delighted to hear that you're joining us again soon for some well-deserved relaxation and hope you leave feeling revitalised and ready for the "big event"!

Kindest regards
Oban, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed for two nights in Castle Lodge. I wouldn't recommend castle lodge as the rooms are small and pokey for the price you pay, also you have to walk to the spa and change there. Our room have a crack in the hand basin and the plug didn't work, I reported it and a man came to have a look and said it would be fixed the next day. It wasn't. The bed was really hard. There was a card in our room saying complimentory car wash and the car wasn't washed. I would pay a bit more for the other rooms.
On the plus side, the hotel and grounds are beautiful and the spa is gorgeous, food was excellent. Staff very friendly and very relaxing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Stobo Castle on Tripadvisor.

I'd like to apologise unreservedly for the lapses in maintenance standards you encountered in your room - there's certainly no excuse for any delay in dealing with these issues. I'm also sorry for our failure to wash your car - subject to the weather conditions, this courtesy is extended to all residents and day guests and I apologise that your car was missed on this occasion.

Guests are advised in advance that staying in Castle Lodge does involve an outside walk to the spa and we feel this accommodation is priced accordingly, however I fully take on board your comment that you would rather pay a little extra to avoid this.

I was delighted to hear that you otherwise enjoyed your stay and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the castle soon.
Perth, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband booked me in for a birthday day break. This was my first time at Stobbo Castle and was very impressed with the spa and beautiful surroundings. Just a few little niggles, as I am a beauty therapist myself, I was disappointed that my full body massage didn't include oils because the therapist was pregnant so she couldn't use them which I feel I missed out on. There was a photo shoot in the hot tub so my time was limited there, only managed to get in for about 5mins. It would have been great if there was a ladies sauna room. Although I did enjoy my lunch, it didn't give me the wow factor, it was quite average. When checking out of the spa, I handed my key in to the receptionist but she never asked me if I enjoyed my stay which I was quite shocked by. Apart from these niggles, I would still come back but when you are paying for a service, you do expect to get it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review on Tripadvisor, following your spa day at Stobo Castle.

Pregnant therapists are instructed to use a grapeseed or almond oil when carrying out a massage so clients can receive the full benefit of the treatment - I'm truly sorry if this was not the case in your experience.

Apologies also for the other niggles you encountered however I was delighted to hear that you otherwise enjoyed your day and would consider a return visit in the future.

With best wishes,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Last week I had the pleasure of staying for two nights at your fabulous retreat with two members of my family . This was my fifth break with yourselves in the last three years . Having stayed in the castle rooms previously we were delighted with the standard of rooms in Park Lodge .The outdoor hot tub was fabulous although if I was to nit pick I would say the temperature could have been warmer - we did ask on two occasions for it to be increased but it was locked at a certain temp - it was in the evening and there was snow in the air but reluctantly our selves and other guests had to leave as it became too cool - I also saw an older lady having great difficulty getting out of the tub and I found getting out tricky myself .
The staff as usual were fantastic - when I decided to forgo my main course ( because I was still full from lunch ) the restaurant manager came over and offered to make me some other snack - maybe she thought I didn't like anything on the menu . Again if I was nit picking I would say evening meals start very early 6.30 - personally I find this means I have to leave the spa sharp to get ready for dinner - last order around 7.45 with the spa being open until 10 pm it means between 6.45 to 10pm the facilities are barely used - such a pity !
Overall we had a great time - you are doing a great job in keeping us all relaxed
Ps I would love it if you had a sauna :) For females / mixed

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting such a positive review, following your latest visit to Stobo with two members of your family.

You are perfectly entitled to "nit pick"! I will certainly investigate your concerns regarding the new outdoor hot tub. Over the years, we have found that many guests are accustomed to eating early which prompted us to bring forward dinner from 7 to 6.30pm. In practice, we find we are still taking last orders as late as 8.30pm!

Otherwise, I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed a relaxing time with us and I hope it won't be long before we again have the pleasure of your company.

With kind regards,
Motherwell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Just come back from an overnight stay 13th - 14th Jan 2013 and I felt compelled to write this review, as we all had such an amazing time! I went with my wife, mother and grandmother with the intention of having a bit of a chill out after the hectic festive season.

Firstly, let me state now that I've stayed in a lot of top quality hotels throughout the UK over the years and my job (photographer) brings me into contact with a lot of venues up and down the country. Essentially, Im not easily wow'd, so Stobo had a lot to contend with!

This was my first visit to Stobo Castle and I must say, I'm completely impressed on just about every level. On arriving, there's a true "wow" factor. The surroundings and setting for the castle are idyllic, the building itself undoubtedly impressive. Once inside, I'm pleased to say the "wow" factor doesn't stop there! Internally, this place is just stunning. From the traditional-yet-modern lobby and atrium with its grand staircase, through to the amazing (and relaxing!) courtyard with huge fairylit tree, comfy seats and underfloor heating, it's an impressive and welcoming place.

Just when you think you've been impressed enough, you finally get a look at the Spa complex - jaw-dropping is simply an understatement. Ultra-modern in its appointments, beautifully lit and decorated, with just about every facility you could ask for....from the word go you get the feeling you're in for something truly special. I'll never forget swimming up to the panoramic window in the infinity pool and chilling out whilst watching the snow fall over the rolling hills. Utterly beautiful and so, so relaxing!!

There's everything you could want here from a modern spa; an amazing pool with areas to chill out and relax, a variety of steam room/sauna equipment (Including a laconium - an amazing dry-heat room that's sadly only available to the ladies in their changing area), a cracking jacuzzi, treatment rooms and even an outdoor hot tub (utterly amazing being in an outdoor hot tub when it's snowing!!). The treatments here are fab too - everything you could want from a modern spa. My wife and I both had full body massages, which were amazing - definitely the best massage I've ever experienced. It's a shame there's no chill-out room for afterwards but, to be honest the whole place is so unbelievably chilled that it's hard not to relax here! (the fact that most people walk around in their Stobo dressing gowns for the majority of their stay is probably testament to that!!).

As a Spa, it's an amazing place. As a hotel, it doesn't disappoint either. The bedrooms are beautifully furnished and have all the facilities you need. Every area of the hotel is beautifully decorated and impeccably clean, it's obvious that the staff really care about keeping it looking good! The food is also very good, everything I had was cooked and prepared to the highest standard and beautifully presented. Truly 5 star cuisine! Dining rooms are small and intimate with just the right atmosphere. We also very much enjoyed relaxing in the courtyard with its underfloor heating - just when you think you can't get any more relaxed, just try having a glass of wine at the end of the day in the courtyard whilst the warm floor soothes your feet. Amazing!

Finally, it's worth mentioning the staff- they're a true credit to the Castle. Friendly and helpful - nothing is too much trouble to them and they help add to the experience. One of the waiters even helped my Grandmother back to her seat with her plate from the breakfast buffet in the morning, then pushed her chair in for her when she sat down. This example of excellent service was not isolated - there were lots of nice touches throughout the stay that made us feel welcome - we even had our car washed for us the next day!

All in all, our experience of Stobo Castle was outstanding. It's not a cheap place to visit, but on balance there's lots included for the money here. Unlimited use of the spa facilities, premium bedrooms, 3 course dinner and full breakfast - there's even a 3-course lunch included on the day you check-out!!

What a place - Stobo Castle truly is the ultimate chill-out. Don't think about it, just go!!

NB: I'm currently considering selling my house and moving to Stobo permanently!! (I wish!)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
stobocastle, Owner at Stobo Castle, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

I really cannot thank you enough for the very comprehensive report you posted, following your recent visit to Stobo with your family.

As I mentioned in a previous response, we are fully committed to improving the ambience and facilities at Stobo with a number of projects in the pipeline.

Also, thank you for mentioning our staff - I am very proud of each and every one of them.

With kind regards,

Been to Stobo Castle? Share your experiences!