Stayed here 2 weeks ago and it was something of a mixed bag.
Rooms were lovely, spacious and clean with comfortable bed and everything you would expect from a budget stay. Very impressed. Reception staff were also swift and efficient at check in and very pleasant. Be aware, phone signal here is dodgy due to location but hotel is aware of this and offer use of phones for urgent calls.
Unfortunately that's where the good bit ends. We were in Canterbury to visit my family and go to the theatre. Went down to the bar for a drink before we left and we're greeted by a member of staff who clearly didn't belong behind the bar. Ordered drinks for our large group and realised prices were extortionate but this wasn't necessarily unexpected. What was unexpected was to be served a warm bottle of white wine with no ice bucket and dirty, water-marked glasses. This may be a cheap hotel but this is fundamental. Also the tables were set for dinner and had plates of bog standard sliced white bread out, completely uncovered, for some time before the guests sat down. This was obviously a pre booked group and I suppose the choice of bread could be forgiven if this was what was requested but leaving lying out on the table is not acceptable.
Good night sleep was had so that was ok but then came breakfast. The breakfast area is poorly designed at best so it is very difficult to access but the worst thing came from the fact that there were no staff. When we got down, there were no bowls, plates, mugs or glasses and very little cutlery. Tables were piled with dirty dishes and trays so we had to clear our own table to sit at. Granted, guests are invites to clear their table to the racks provided but this was impossible as the racks were full so clearing was impossible. The only member of staff available was the receptionist who was clearing tables whilst trying to check people out. Chefs popped back and forth from the kitchen but could do little to help. They brought about 5 mugs out at a time which disappeared in about 30 seconds. No glasses were brought out the whole time we were there so no juice for us! The food itself was actually good but let down by a complete lack of service. This was not the fault of the staff on duty as they were doing their best, it was just badly organised. I appreciate this is a budget hotel but certain basics are expected and this was lacking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A modern 89 room hotel offering well appointed guest rooms with writing desk, TV, Hair Dryer, and Tea & Coffee making facilities. The hotel offers free WiFi, and car parking ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Despegar.com, HostelBookers, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Canterbury reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Canterbury Hotel Upper Harbledown
- Holiday Inn Canterbury
- Canterbury Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Canterbury Upper Harbledown