“Like Camping Indoors” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Coochie Island Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coochiemudlo Island
Coochie Island Resort
You added Coochie Island Resort to your Saves list
10-16 Dawn Street, Coochiemudlo Island, Redland City, Queensland 4184, Australia   |
“Like Camping Indoors”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Bought one of the Cudo/Spreets deals to stay here. How it calls it self a "resort" is quite laughable. The place is very old and tired - not a major problem if only it made up for it in other ways. The owners I believe have been there long enough now to get their act together. I came to the conclusion that the property must have been given to them and they aren't really interested in attracting holidaymakers. We booked for 3 nights but were very tempted to escape after the second evening. I am considering complaining to Cudo/Spreets for false advertising - maybe one of their staff should check it out before advertising this deal again. Coochiemudlo Island itself is a lovely but I would stay at some other lodgings the next time I visit.

Room Tip: A tip if you have bought this deal and cannot get out of it - take lots of toilet roll as you will o...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Coochieresort, Manager at Coochie Island Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
We are not 5 star - we have six by one bedroom apartments,a studio for two,Four by 2 bedroom apartments , a Private Guest House, and Guest villa with 75 person capacity (perfect for weddings) Some apartments are 30 years old, brick and tile and easy maintenace being so close to the beach all on ground level.We work 24/7 to make the whole property presentable,comfortable,clean and inviting to people which 99% of the Cudo guests ( over 1000)have enjoyed and actually gone out of their way to let us know they appreciate what we are doing . Unfortunately positive people are generally too busy in their travels to spread the good word by web and simply tell their friends and family who come here to stay also.The property is undergoing daily refurbishments and has come a long way in 12 months.As they say "Watch this space" Cliff

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Gold Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I went there for a thurs and fri night get away with a coupon. We were the only ones there on the thurs night and the restaurant was closed so it felt like a ghost town.The deal/coupon included a bottle of wine in our room and free lunch at the restaurant. The lunch menu for the coupon was limited and the wine was cheap. No communication with the staff except if we were purchasing something off them eg food and drinks. The rooms were old fashioned however had air con. The tv did not have a set top box but that did not worry us as we didn't want to watch tv on holiday anyway. It was a nice getaway but next time I will be looking for something at Tangalooma as they offer more and Coochie is disappointing in comparison.

Room Tip: Number 6 had all self catering so that was a good thing
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Friday and Saturday Nights (weekends) and holidays are the busy times here like most holiday island venues.We always explain to our guests before they come that midweek is quiet (some busy executives crave this and it is becoming a popular destination for conferences) and the restaurant/Cafe is always available to them.The wine the guests receive is our house wine which many patrons enjoy.The apartments are separate to the restaurant - designed to give guests privacy and peaceful rest.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We purchased a voucher for an overnight stay, a bottle of wine, continental breakfast and a voucher for $20 off watersports.
The rooms are like stepping back 20 years in time. Was clean but way outdated. The tv didn't have digital channels and channel 9 had sound issues. We had a provided bottle of wine, which was horrible and no wine glasses included in the unit!
We had dinner at the Aloha restaurant - worst meal I have ever had out! Bread for $8 was 3 thin slices of French stick with melted cheese. My main was pork which was overcooked and cold in parts. The crackling was burnt. My potato tastes like fish 2!
What we'd hoped for a nice experience turned out to be far from it.

• Stayed March 2012

Travelers are raving about these Coochiemudlo Island hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

My partner and I spent two nights in this place and it was terrible. We used a voucher that entitled us to cocktails and a boat hire coupon. We never got the boat hire coupon even after asking several times and the restaurant was closed the whole time we were there. Our electricity short circuited because of dodgy kitchen appliances and the blanket we got for the bed smelt musty and had someone else's hair on it. The staff are rude and incompetent. The worst part was trying to find the source of a sickening smell that u noticed on our first day, I brushed it off saying that it was just because the unit was old and dirty but on the last night we were there it got really bad. I tracked the stench back to the laundry style sink tucked into a little alcove near the bedroom. Someone had vomited in that sink and it hadnt been cleaned. I was disgusted but cleaned it myself because all the staff had gone home. This was the worst holiday I have ever been on and I would've been happier in a tent.

• Stayed January 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I believe that the really great reviews was written by close friends and family. The truth is that its an old place from the 60 or the 70's that needs a lot of updating. They had some simple kitchen utensils but did not provide a knife, which we asked them to provide so they gave us a fruit knife. There was only a broom and a dust pan, and a stingy little sponge to do the dishes with. No Iron, toilet paper $2 each (they gave us 1 to share between 8 people as a starter)
Its very clean and the bed was fine to sleep in. The furniture's are really old, room is plain and boring with really bad artwork. The restaurant is extremely poor, they serve everything on plastic plates and they dont seem to have any proper cutlery, its all really sloppy food and the chef does not seem to know about health standards in food preparations. I suggest you bring your own food and enjoy a simple meal in your room. The pool is great and there is a cosy atmosphere on the resort and the Island. No one is ever at the reception desk not even when you want to check out. You have to carry everything from the ferry no help from the resort- its a bummer when you have to bring so much food.
Got told by the owner that they had just taken over and was hoping to improve the reviews online, they will have to work a bit harder I think. We still enjoyed our stay with friends but I do not suggest to go here as a weekend getaway with family and lovers. If you have friends that can entertain you then this place is fine for a few nights. just make sure you cook your own food. make sure you bring some cricket and fishing gear and any other entertaining things to do.

Room Tip: They are all the same.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

When I stepped off the ferry onto Coochie Island it was like taking a step back in time. The island is quaint, peaceful and a lovely little weekend away from the city hussle and bussle if that is what you are after. The resort itself has lovely grounds and the pool is also quite nice although could do with a deckchair or two so you can take a book and relax and enjoy the outside. The gardens are also nicely manicured and have a lovely tropical feel. The rooms are totally 1970 - brown tiles and brick walls and a very old fashioned TV with no set top box - the rooms need updating desperately. However, having said that, the rooms are clean and neat. We did not have high expectations, and we were travelling on a coupon deal, so we had no complaints, however I think I would be pretty disappointed if we had paid full price. Our room had a microwave and a fridge - self catering would be a bit tricky. I don't think there was a BBQ on the grounds that was available to guests. The food we experienced in the restaurant one evening was quite nice - although from speaking to others I gather it was a bit hit and miss. I spoke to someone who had the seafood platter and for $90 they were disappointed. I had the beef and reef (steak with a moreton bay bug) and it was nice. The prices are high for what you get, but I think that is part of living on an island - you always pay more. Drinks from the bar were about $8 each for a cider and a bundy and cola. The staff were mostly pleasant, although there was one staff member on lunch duty on saturday who was clearly out of her depth and didn't seem to understand the coupon we had (which included lunch) and she was borderline rude. The only other option for food, as far as we could discover, was the Coochie Kiosk - they did great pizzas for $18 and seemed to be pretty well patronised. So, in short, if you adjust your expectations and go to enjoy the laid back island lifestyle, you will appreciate your Coochie island experience. If you expect 4 or 5 star, you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: We had apartment 9 and it had a full size fridge - I believe some other rooms only had bar fridges.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I for one like to look for the positives rather than the negatives... but with our stay at Coochie Island Resort, that was very difficult at times. We didn't get to experience the "warm" welcome, we got yelled at by one of the kitchen staff that it was a 2 o'clock check in and not before. I have stayed at a number of hotels all ranging from basic to 5 star and have never I experienced this kind of welcome. Although the office worker was lovely and very accommodating...

The rooms are very basic, our room was what I would call average but cleanish... we ran out of toilet paper and was given a half used roll from the men's toilets (very bad form from management).

New Year's dinner omg... we were led to believe it would be a fantastic dinner and band - band was good but food was absolutely disappointing... paying $25.50 pp and what was on offer was pig on spit (nice) chicken (extremely uncooked) and a sloppy coleslaw and green salad.

Later we read that it was $25.50 per person "entry fee" and food was included! Could have had a nicer dinner with our own food and cooked on the bbq down at the beach - and the cocktails oh my gosh $10 for a small picnic cup of slushie.

Watching a large family come in and pay their "entrance fee" and not have a table to sit at or management and staff not even try and accommodate this family was another terrible experience.

I don't think I could recommend this resort unless things definitely improved. To serve undercooked chicken is a definite health risk!

The island was lovely and peaceful

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Coochie Island Resort? Share your experiences!