“Convenient, cozy B&B for a night or two” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Baenir & Braud

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stykkisholmur
Baenir & Braud
You added Baenir & Braud to your Saves list
Laufasvegur 1, Stykkisholmur 340, Iceland   |
Cleveland, Ohio
“Convenient, cozy B&B for a night or two”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our one night stay in Greta's home. We were lucky because we were upgraded to the family room and did not have to share the bathroom. The double room looked a bit small so we appreciated the extra space. We were awoken around midnight when we heard Greta cooking in the ground floor kitchen (which we thought was odd) but we were able to go back to sleep. Greta's breakfast was delicious and was a great start for a long day ahead. It takes just a few minutes to get to the ferry to the Westfjords.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Greta the owner of this B & B is quite the character. Her breakfast is homemade
and outstanding. She has recently opened a hotel in her town so seemed
a bit preoccupied trying to run two places.
Our room was very small and we shared a bathroom with Greta which seemed to
not be a problem but felt weird.
The hot tub was not working when we arrived but we finally got to use it before we
had to leave.
Although this place was costly the view was awesome and so was the location. We could walk to the ferry and to town easily.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms are more spacious and downstairs has a kitchenette.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This review is about half a year late, but now that I've discovered this B&B on TripAdvisor, I feel like I must write a review about my stay. To put it simply, it was a wonderful experience. The host, Greta, was very nice, knowledgeable about the local area and an excellent cook too! The breakfast was just amazing, there was so much to eat but yet everything was so delicious. She helped booking us on a whale-spotting trip at Grundarfjordur and that was quite an experience.

The place is furnished with tasteful decor; I had a family room so it was quite spacious too. The double rooms that I saw seemed smaller though.

All in all, this B&B is THE place to stay at Stykkisholmur!

Room Tip: The family room is the biggest
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Me and my partner stayed in this lovely guest house in July 2012 and were amazed by the warmth and charm of the property and its landlady Greta. The main area of the guest house only has three rooms, which made our stay cosy and familiar. The house is nicely decorated and the rooms (maybe a little bit on the small side) are stylish.
But the best things are the discussions over breakfast and the breakfast itself (make sure you tell Greta to fix you a healthy breakfast): Many things on the nicely set table are home-made and, of course, organic: the bread, the jam (made of just fruit and honey) - even the granola was made according to her own secret recipe (it stays in the oven for hours and hours before it's ready, as Greta explained us).
A truly great and memorable experience!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

WE were also one of the lucky ones relocated to the new upscale boutique hotel just opened by Gretna in the center of town, in a historic building with great views. Gretna is a very warm and helpful person and her Healthy Breakfast is fabulous/ The beds are comfy. The rooms are a little small, but the location, amenities and service are excellant.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

My review is a bit late but nonetheless, I have to tell you that if you are visiting Stykkisholmur (which I highly recommend), you MUST stay here! Having been to Iceland 4 times, I have only driven through Stykkisholmur to visit for a few hours but this time -- during my solo trip in June, 2012 -- I planned to stay the night to spend more time in the City.

My only regreat was that I did not plan at least two or even three days there. The guesthouse is easy to find (take a copy of the photo with you -- it's right behind the Church) and it was a amazing as the photos, if not more so.

My only disappointment (nothing to do with the guest house or Greta) was that there was another couple waiting on my arrival and they asked me to make a call on my Iphone because apparently, they did not have a phone (or did not want to spend the money for the call) -- I found it very odd that being from the USA, they would do a road trip through Iceland without a working phone so I was a bit irritated to make a call at my expense -- very discourteous.

Well -- to the room. It was magical and wonderful. The bathroom like a 5 star resort. I could not believe how clean it was.

Greta answered all of my questions and more and I had a great time taking photos and spending time meditating and resting in this lovely area that has the cleanest water in the world and one of the best pools in Iceland.

Greta is just a wealth of information. Having read positive reviews fo the place online, I decided to bring her a book about Philadelphia with photos (hopefully she will visit someday!) and she was very appreciated. I also also able to buy (at her advice) the same guestbook she has made of a cover of Icelandic wool at the giftstore in town. It was just amazing.

Unfortnately, due to dietery restrictions, I could not stay for breakfast but I have heard and have no reason to believe that it is anything other than wonderful.

I remember leaving and asking Greta to remind me that for my trip to Iceland next year that if I book just for one day, she'll remind me to stay at least 3 days! It is just wonderful -- you will not regret your choice to stay here.

Can't wait to come back next year!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Lund, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed here for three nights in the family room. Everything said about Greta and her healthy breakfast is very true. Thank you Greta! The house is also very fresh and nicely decorated.
The reason for not top-rating this place is however the family room which we shared with our 14 year old. It is too small and impractical for a family. Lacks every kind of hanger or place to put luggage. The fold out sofa takes up a third of the room. Also the sliding door has no key and lets through all sounds from the rest of the house. Shared bathroom which I will avoid in future travels, past that stage;).
I would happily rent the apartment.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Baenir & Braud? Share your experiences!