“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nordur-Vik Youth Hostel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Vik
Nordur-Vik Youth Hostel
You added Nordur-Vik Youth Hostel to your Saves list
Suourvikurvegur 5, Vik IS-870, Iceland   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Vik
Pfaffenhofen an der Ilm, Germany
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Oh it was amazing! There is so much to tell!
We were there in the middle of august.

Rooms:
The Rooms are really nice and very cozy. There are self-made paintings on some walls. It is a small hostel - so it is really familiar. The family is very lovely!
The rooms and bathrooms are really clean! All in all there are 3 bathrooms. Every 4 rooms have one bathroom.

Kitchen, Dining room, living room:
In the kitchen there is really everything you need to cook. It's quite tall. There are 2 different cookers. Every with 4 places for pots. There is als a really huge fridge where you can have your food. I love this kitchen! And its very clean!
The diningroom is also very huge! And there are selfmade volcano candles. It's really cozy!
The livingroom is the first room, where you come in! Great! There are many informations, books, games, videos, there is a Tv. You can buy selfmade things from people from vik!

Breakfast:
For some extra pay there is the best breakfast I ever had!
You can eat eggs from the family's chickens, selfmade jam and marmalade, selfmade bread, self-made fresh and warm waffles, berries from the familys farm, 3 different yoghurts, toast and crackers, different hams and different cheeses, smoked fish, fresh vegetables, milk and diffent kind of müsli. There is an huge selection of tea, juice, and sirups.
Its really everything there! Expeccially the waffles are so great!
Everything is self-made.

Staff:
Very friendly! Did a good job and smiled a lot! And the dog is such a good friend!

Area:
Vik is one of the most beautiful places in iceland!
There are many many puffins. You can walk up to the mountain and you can see dyrholaey and the reznisfjara&reynisdrangar!
The black beaches are some of the most beautiful beaches of the world!! You have to visit them! You can also go to the glacier from the hostel. It's near the Mýrdalsjökull and the volcano Katla!

Room Tip: Unten gibt es "Kellerzimmer". Auch diese haben große Fenster, die mit dem Boden draußen au...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
O'Fallon, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I didn't sleep much the night before I arrived here so I was super tired. I checked in and took a shower. No problems. I locked up my wallet, keys, etc and got into a bed. A few people came in and out but weren't loud. I think I slept about 12 hours for the first time in my life! Half way through, a nice lady tapped me on the shoulder and gave me a warm blanket since I didn't know they were available and was using my jacket again. That definitely made it even better! Overall, great hostel. No issues at all! Will stay here again next time I'm in Iceland

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We paid 20,800 for three people to stay here 1 night. We paid extra for the towels and beddings. We made our own bed. Bathroom is clean and there is one shared by people on each floor. The double room we stayed in is small. You need to remove your shoes at the reception area and not wear them to the room unless you put shoe covers on them. Do bring your shampoo and soap along. We walked to the town nearby for dinner at Halldorskaffi which serve delicious burgers and lamb sandwich. Cooking facilities are provided at the hostel kitchen. People are friendly.
Highlight of the stay is the delicious thin homemade waffles slathered with butter and homemade syrup. They made them as you eat them and there is unlimited supply of freshly made warm waffles to start the morning. This is a nice change of breakfast. The usual items of homemade bread with cheese and cold cuts are also available. Free and fast internet is available at the lobby. A nice walk at the Vik Black Sand Beach (one of the most beautiful beaches in the world) just before breakfast on a not so windy and cold day is lovely.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed 2 nights in this peaceful hostel with a group of 4 people. Our room was fine and had two bunk style beds. The bathrooms are shared but this is not unusual for anyone who is used to staying in hostels. I really liked the upstairs common room areas and also the lounge at reception. The hostel provides a rather magnificent breakfast (for an additional fee) comprising of home made breads, waffles and jams. It was superb.

This is a very chilled out hostel in a dramatic location. The staff were excellent (and beautiful!). I could definitely see myself chilling out here again in the future, this hostel (and Vik in general) are certainly not places for party-animals however.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed one night at this hostel and had a peaceful, clean single room, with a much bigger bed than I'd had at any other hostel. The kitchen was great. Very neat, clean and well stocked with pots pans etc, and it included a refrigerator, which is crucial and some hostels don't have. The dining area has pretty hardwood floors and windows looking out to the ocean. I'm not sure whether things have changed since some of the reviews here were written. I read the negative ones and it seems like they're about a totally different place. I thought it was heavenly.

The location could not be better. The view is breathtaking, the town is tiny and easy to walk around. The breakfast included hot waffles and homemade jam. The only downsides: The wifi never worked right for me, and the hostel closes from 10:00 to 14:00 for cleaning, which seemed excessive to me, since it's not that big. I would have liked to be in my room for some of that time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Compared with most Icelandic accommodation, this is cheap, and you get what you pay for. Bathroom facilities are limited so if it's busy, you queue, and the state depends on how the last person left it. Breakfast is good and the staff are helpful. if you want privacy and 5-stars you should pay more and go elsewhere but if you want to meet other travellers and talk about Iceland, this is the place to be.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

The location of this place is beautiful and walking distance to town and the beach. The rooms are clean and have a black out shade. Breakfast had a good selection and the kitchen was well equipped. They had only one bathroom for many people on our floor,. The cost for a family of 4 was quite high,but overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Nordur-Vik Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!