“Great photo ops!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hofoabrekku, Vik 871, Iceland   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Vik
“Great photo ops!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed here for three nights in the middle of a tour around the Southern half of Iceland.

Pros: Comfy, warm rooms. Each chalet block has its own lounge area which was nice for chilling out after a long day. Remote with little light pollution, so great Aurora views. Friendly staff, great breakfasts and a waffle machine!

Cons: The nearest restaurant in the town of Vik closes during winter months... so the only practical option for evening meals is the hotel itself. This isn't actually a bad thing - food is delicious and beautifully prepared... but after 3 nights we'd tried everything on the menu - a 4th night would have lead to repetition.
Showers - I know many folk of larger stature than me - and none of them would have been able to get into the shower in our room! I could, but it wasn't the world's most spacious shower.

Otherwise - great. Would definately return for a one-nighter on a trip around Iceland.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed at this Hotel while I, and my Icelandic guide were chasing the Northern Lights. I thought it was very well selected. I had been to Vik previously and had enjoyed my stay as well. But this one, offered freshly baked (hot) breads, and home made paté for breakfast. The breakfast buffet, was perhaps as good as any I have had on both of my previous visits to this amazing country, offering the usual scandinavian fair, of fresh meats, cheeses, and waffles. The owners, were on hand and freindly, but my guide is particularly well known, so this may have been part of that, although I dont really think it would have made any difference. They were just naturally friendly warm hearted people. However guests were few that night, and breakfast was still plentiful and fully layed out.

The rooms were large, clean, and more than adequate. I do not know the price of the room - I did not book it, it was done for me. The rooms are situated in several buildings. All self contained the bathrooms are quite large, and quite modern.

The hotel owners own two great dogs, although I wondered at first. I had decided to go out very early, to walk around by myself, and to take photos. It was still dark, and as I stepped out of the room, I was confronted, by these two dogs, who barked and carried on. Eventually we (me and the dogs) came to an understanding, and I could not get rid of them. I told the little one he was supposed to be keeping me warm, and not the other way round, when he leaned all over me. The ground was covered in snow, and for this Aussie woman, who had not seen anything like it, it was an all round wonderful experience.

Great place to stay, but the Northern Lights, well unlike the dogs they stayed away that night.

I would thoroughly recommend this Hotel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Den Haag
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed there just for one night before going to Jokulsarlon. Good hotel, clean rooms. The breakfast buffet was one of the best we have had in Iceland. They also provide hot tubs outside the rooms, but we didnt make use of it since it was too cold. This is a great place to stay over for exploring Vik and near by areas like black beach, Skogar, etc. Just that you need to have your own car to be able to reach the place.

We also used the kitchen facility to cook our own lunch. Quite basic, but very functional kitchen. If you need any basic cooking raw materials like oil, salt, etc, you can always get it from the reception. The hosts are really helpful. Be mindful of the fact that the kitchen is small, can accommodate only small groups of 5-6 people. Also, kitchen is located in a different block.

A good place and quite worth the money (we paid 70 euros for 2 people room/night)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here for two nights while driving through the south in November. There weren't many people staying here (I think only about four or six others) but the breakfast was still fully laid out for us (and was delicious). The rooms are very nice, modern, and the best were really comfortable. The view from outside the hotel is beautiful, and the road that leads up from the hotel into the mountains offers some really cool views (although you can only go so far in the winter). I'd definitely recommend this place, and would definitely stay here again. (FYI in the winter, I think you have to book ahead to have the hotel restaurant open at night).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Hotel Hofdabrekka is a nice hotel just outside of Vik to the East, with a great location just off the ring road and several buildings with rooms plus a main dining hall / bar. There is nothing fancy about the hotel, but it is clean, the rooms are big and comfortable and there is a decent restaurant on site as well. There are a lot of bus tours that stay here, but the dining rooms is very large and they typically have a buffet, so dining is not a problem. The buffet has great variety including some Icelandic specialties like whale. There are hot tubs outside as well, but we didn't use them.

The staff were very friendly and the property is very well looked after. This is a very nice hotel to stay at.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here towards the end of our trip, when sleep deprivation and mania was kicking in thanks to the 24 hours of day light! Thank God for the black out curtains! They really gave us some of the best nights of sleep we had in Iceland.

This place isn't super fancy but it's definitely clean and cozy. The rooms are wood paneled. At first I thought WTH but the wood gives it a nice, nordic, cozy atmosphere. The rooms are comfy and it's right off the main road. The hot tubs were...I dunno...not that hot but still enjoyable.

The breakfast buffet was standard Iceland food. Nothing to brag about but it did the trick.

Really enjoyed our stay here because I absolutely love the town of Vik. Probably my favorite place in all of Iceland.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are the same.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Myvatn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Very comfortable hotel with realy good food and very friendly staff. I stayed twice in a week, once for two nights and once for three. I stayed there twice in a week, once for two nights and then later in the week for three. For the first two nights I had a twin room which was large and comfortable, although I found the beds a little small. One criticism, for those two days, the wifi access was terrible. For my three night stay I asked if I could have a bigger bed and I was immediately upgraded to a luxury room (in the building that used to be the sheep pen of the farm). On this stay, the wifi worked perfectly and I discovered that there had been a problem which had been rectified.

Everything is on one level so no stairs or lifts. This makes getting your luggage into your room really easy. There is plenty of space for parking too. The location of the hotel is superb with a view of the Reynisdrangur rocks in the sea at Vik. In front of the hotel are some small lakes with wild birds.

Just outside the restaurant are the hot tubs which I didn't try as it was very cold weather. However, others were using them and seemed to enjoy them.

I have one small criticism; although the food was really excellent, the menu did not have many options and did not change at all for all five nights I was there, prompting me to drive the 5kms to Vik to find a different place to eat on the last night. The meals I had there however were of excellent quality and not as expensive as I was expecting.

All in all I would not hesitate to stay there again. The staff were very friendly and helpful and ensured I had something to eat when I arrived after the restaurant had closed at 9pm.

It was very close to the town of Vik and the amazing sights of Dyrholeay and Reynisdranger etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Hofdabrekka? Share your experiences!