“Great place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Vik
Den Haag
“Great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed there just for one night before going to Jokulsarlon. Good hotel, clean rooms. The breakfast buffet was one of the best we have had in Iceland. They also provide hot tubs outside the rooms, but we didnt make use of it since it was too cold. This is a great place to stay over for exploring Vik and near by areas like black beach, Skogar, etc. Just that you need to have your own car to be able to reach the place.

We also used the kitchen facility to cook our own lunch. Quite basic, but very functional kitchen. If you need any basic cooking raw materials like oil, salt, etc, you can always get it from the reception. The hosts are really helpful. Be mindful of the fact that the kitchen is small, can accommodate only small groups of 5-6 people. Also, kitchen is located in a different block.

A good place and quite worth the money (we paid 70 euros for 2 people room/night)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here for two nights while driving through the south in November. There weren't many people staying here (I think only about four or six others) but the breakfast was still fully laid out for us (and was delicious). The rooms are very nice, modern, and the best were really comfortable. The view from outside the hotel is beautiful, and the road that leads up from the hotel into the mountains offers some really cool views (although you can only go so far in the winter). I'd definitely recommend this place, and would definitely stay here again. (FYI in the winter, I think you have to book ahead to have the hotel restaurant open at night).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Hotel Hofdabrekka is a nice hotel just outside of Vik to the East, with a great location just off the ring road and several buildings with rooms plus a main dining hall / bar. There is nothing fancy about the hotel, but it is clean, the rooms are big and comfortable and there is a decent restaurant on site as well. There are a lot of bus tours that stay here, but the dining rooms is very large and they typically have a buffet, so dining is not a problem. The buffet has great variety including some Icelandic specialties like whale. There are hot tubs outside as well, but we didn't use them.

The staff were very friendly and the property is very well looked after. This is a very nice hotel to stay at.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here towards the end of our trip, when sleep deprivation and mania was kicking in thanks to the 24 hours of day light! Thank God for the black out curtains! They really gave us some of the best nights of sleep we had in Iceland.

This place isn't super fancy but it's definitely clean and cozy. The rooms are wood paneled. At first I thought WTH but the wood gives it a nice, nordic, cozy atmosphere. The rooms are comfy and it's right off the main road. The hot tubs were...I dunno...not that hot but still enjoyable.

The breakfast buffet was standard Iceland food. Nothing to brag about but it did the trick.

Really enjoyed our stay here because I absolutely love the town of Vik. Probably my favorite place in all of Iceland.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are the same.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Myvatn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Very comfortable hotel with realy good food and very friendly staff. I stayed twice in a week, once for two nights and once for three. I stayed there twice in a week, once for two nights and then later in the week for three. For the first two nights I had a twin room which was large and comfortable, although I found the beds a little small. One criticism, for those two days, the wifi access was terrible. For my three night stay I asked if I could have a bigger bed and I was immediately upgraded to a luxury room (in the building that used to be the sheep pen of the farm). On this stay, the wifi worked perfectly and I discovered that there had been a problem which had been rectified.

Everything is on one level so no stairs or lifts. This makes getting your luggage into your room really easy. There is plenty of space for parking too. The location of the hotel is superb with a view of the Reynisdrangur rocks in the sea at Vik. In front of the hotel are some small lakes with wild birds.

Just outside the restaurant are the hot tubs which I didn't try as it was very cold weather. However, others were using them and seemed to enjoy them.

I have one small criticism; although the food was really excellent, the menu did not have many options and did not change at all for all five nights I was there, prompting me to drive the 5kms to Vik to find a different place to eat on the last night. The meals I had there however were of excellent quality and not as expensive as I was expecting.

All in all I would not hesitate to stay there again. The staff were very friendly and helpful and ensured I had something to eat when I arrived after the restaurant had closed at 9pm.

It was very close to the town of Vik and the amazing sights of Dyrholeay and Reynisdranger etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Vik is a pretty small town, and this is one of the better hotel options. Our room had a bathroom and views of the ocean. It's east of the town of Vik, so it feels like you've missed it as you've driven out of the town; it's just a short ways past the town, so keep driving. It's about 10 min to the gorgeous seascape in Vik down road 215.The restaurant here was decent, but be warned that the bar and restaurant close around 10pm in case you're arriving late. The outdoor hot tubs were also fun if you can get past the eggy smell! You can also go in these at night, which is a good option since there's not much else to do. Overall this is a good place to recharge while sightseeing in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrisburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have to say the management and staff try very hard to please. Room was well appointed in wooden tones. Room was large, dinner was very nice, the hotel was exceptionally clean. Bed was medium firm and slept well. We were in room #49 and was close to the end of the building. We had a difficult time obtaining hot water. We turned the knob to hot and let it run for a minute and the water became warm but never hot. We had good weather in Vik. I was told that Vik was normally cloudy with rain, but we had a pleasent couple of days. We went to the black sand beach and saw the Puffin rocks. Since we were out of season the Puffins were gone but the surf and sand was impressive. They have two large outside whirpool tubs just outside of the room buildings. A wonderful place to relax.

Room Tip: Higher numbered rooms were in the newer buildings.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Hofdabrekka? Share your experiences!