“Black out curtains!!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Vik
Virginia
“Black out curtains!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here towards the end of our trip, when sleep deprivation and mania was kicking in thanks to the 24 hours of day light! Thank God for the black out curtains! They really gave us some of the best nights of sleep we had in Iceland.

This place isn't super fancy but it's definitely clean and cozy. The rooms are wood paneled. At first I thought WTH but the wood gives it a nice, nordic, cozy atmosphere. The rooms are comfy and it's right off the main road. The hot tubs were...I dunno...not that hot but still enjoyable.

The breakfast buffet was standard Iceland food. Nothing to brag about but it did the trick.

Really enjoyed our stay here because I absolutely love the town of Vik. Probably my favorite place in all of Iceland.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are the same.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Myvatn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Very comfortable hotel with realy good food and very friendly staff. I stayed twice in a week, once for two nights and once for three. I stayed there twice in a week, once for two nights and then later in the week for three. For the first two nights I had a twin room which was large and comfortable, although I found the beds a little small. One criticism, for those two days, the wifi access was terrible. For my three night stay I asked if I could have a bigger bed and I was immediately upgraded to a luxury room (in the building that used to be the sheep pen of the farm). On this stay, the wifi worked perfectly and I discovered that there had been a problem which had been rectified.

Everything is on one level so no stairs or lifts. This makes getting your luggage into your room really easy. There is plenty of space for parking too. The location of the hotel is superb with a view of the Reynisdrangur rocks in the sea at Vik. In front of the hotel are some small lakes with wild birds.

Just outside the restaurant are the hot tubs which I didn't try as it was very cold weather. However, others were using them and seemed to enjoy them.

I have one small criticism; although the food was really excellent, the menu did not have many options and did not change at all for all five nights I was there, prompting me to drive the 5kms to Vik to find a different place to eat on the last night. The meals I had there however were of excellent quality and not as expensive as I was expecting.

All in all I would not hesitate to stay there again. The staff were very friendly and helpful and ensured I had something to eat when I arrived after the restaurant had closed at 9pm.

It was very close to the town of Vik and the amazing sights of Dyrholeay and Reynisdranger etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Vik is a pretty small town, and this is one of the better hotel options. Our room had a bathroom and views of the ocean. It's east of the town of Vik, so it feels like you've missed it as you've driven out of the town; it's just a short ways past the town, so keep driving. It's about 10 min to the gorgeous seascape in Vik down road 215.The restaurant here was decent, but be warned that the bar and restaurant close around 10pm in case you're arriving late. The outdoor hot tubs were also fun if you can get past the eggy smell! You can also go in these at night, which is a good option since there's not much else to do. Overall this is a good place to recharge while sightseeing in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrisburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have to say the management and staff try very hard to please. Room was well appointed in wooden tones. Room was large, dinner was very nice, the hotel was exceptionally clean. Bed was medium firm and slept well. We were in room #49 and was close to the end of the building. We had a difficult time obtaining hot water. We turned the knob to hot and let it run for a minute and the water became warm but never hot. We had good weather in Vik. I was told that Vik was normally cloudy with rain, but we had a pleasent couple of days. We went to the black sand beach and saw the Puffin rocks. Since we were out of season the Puffins were gone but the surf and sand was impressive. They have two large outside whirpool tubs just outside of the room buildings. A wonderful place to relax.

Room Tip: Higher numbered rooms were in the newer buildings.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

For our recent visit to Iceland, I had two options for accommodation in the Vik area: either staying at Guesthouse Stein, oder Hotel Hofdabrekka. Since both pretty much cost the same, I went for the hotel option, and we were not disappointed.

The location of the hotel is just great. You're pretty much at the foot of Katla and you can even still see the rocks of Dyrhólaey from the restaurant! It's also just off the main road, so impossible to miss.

We'd booked a twin room for one night, and were given a very spacious and clean room with the most amazingly comfy beds. The bathroom was also a very decent size (although if I had to make one complaint, it's the shower cubical being surrounded with a shower curtain that does nothing but stick to you), and equipped with a large mirror over the sink, toilet, shower and hairdryer.
The room had plenty of space to move stuff out of the way, there's satellite TV and tea/coffee making facilities.

Our room was also facing north, so we could see the hot tubs, and had a bit of a display of the Northern Lights at night too (although we didn't actually stay up long enough to see them properly).

Dinner in the hotel restaurant was very good, and portion sizes are very generous. I was hoping to have a starter, main and desert, but gave up half way through the main as it was just so much - but also very tasty! You're definitely getting very good value for money here.
Breakfast too, was very good. The choices on the buffet were plenty, you could even make your own waffles.

Staff also was very friendly and helpful.
I can very much recommend this hotel and will stay here again during my next trip to Iceland.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

After a long day driving around we stayed here for a night. Had a lovely meal ( lamb) great service! The room is spacious, clean. The staff is very welcoming. There is aldo hot tub if you are brave enough! I would def. stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stopped at the Hofdabrekka after a great days driving from Keflavik on 7 September. We were happy with the price for a double room so made it our resting place for the night. Check in was easy, staff were nice. Plenty of parking not too far from the rooms. Had the feel of a ski lodge - cosy & warm. There was a communal area where the 4 of us could sit down and plan our next days driving and have a few drinks etc.
Great hot water & pressure in the shower. Rooms were really warm. Not a fan of the European hotels which mostly seem to have only the bottom sheet and a quilt - I was too hot in the toasty heated rooms. Thankfully the windows open (which face a lovely hill side). One of the best hotel breakfasts we had in Iceland - lots of options from cereal, waffles, cheese, fruits, breads/toast and porridge - although it was a salty porridge, not sure if the chef made a mistake that morn or this is how Icelandic folk eat it - we were a bit surprised when it hit out mouths. Happy with out stay, the facilities and the service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Hofdabrekka? Share your experiences!