“Modern clean guest house with fresh breakfast.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Guesthouse Vellir to your Saves list
Guesthouse Vellir
Vellir, Vik 871, Iceland   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Vik B&B and Inns
“Modern clean guest house with fresh breakfast.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

We were happy to find Vellir Guesthouse to stop at on our way around the Golden Circle. The hostess was very kind and helpful as we arrive very late.

The 3 bedroom was very modern an clean. Breakfast was fresh with a good selection of food.

We were here for one night in January but I can imagine the landscape to be even prettier in summer. 20 km from Vik and close to the glacier.

• Stayed January 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Our first day on the Full Golden Circle tour. Touris booked Guesthouse Vellir for us and we were quite pleased with their choice. Our room had 3 single beds and a private bathroom. Very clean with a beautiful view. We arrived as the dining room was closing but were still able to get a much needed cup of hot tea and coffee. Beds were very comfortable.

Breakfast was a typical Icelandic breakfast and was very good. Staff were very friendly and could speak English.

This guesthouse is in a rural area without any restaurants nearby. If you want, you can prearrange a dinner meal. Once the dining room is closed for the evening, there is no where that one can get food or beverages or to warm up your own food. A kettle and tea and coffee in the room would have been nice. If the room had a kettle and beverages, I would have given Vellir an excellent rating.

I would definitely recommend this guesthouse to anyone and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

upon arrival, nothing was clear as to where to go to check in. the owner was nice, helped us calling a couple of places to book glacier walks. she also recommended places to go in the area.
the room was a bit small, and there was no soap for the shower. the shower did not have edges, so the bathroom gets pretty wet. there was a fancy shower head with five or six heads, but only one worked and not with a lot of pressure. breakfast was ok.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Nice place with free breakfast. Breakfast was good and Dinner was about 59,000ISK extra. We passed on that though. Nothing else to eat around the area... so be aware. We bought some noodle cups and the owner was nice enough to lend us the kettle. Tried to check in early around noon but no one was around. We were the only ones staying in the guest house that night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Brossard, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We were not sure what to expect when we arrived at Guesthouse Vellir, as the buldings seemed small and old (those were the farm buldings!). Our host came right out of her house to welcome us and we were very surprised to see how spacious and modern the place was. The room (like in a lot of other guesthouses) has IKEA-type of furniture. The bed was very comfortable. We had rented a room with a private bathroom, which was furnished by a state-of-the-art shower!

We even had the privilege to see the northern lights (aurora borealis) for the first time in our lives, and it was really something.

The breakfast was typical and up to par with other breakfasts we've had around Iceland: black bread, skyr, ham, cheese, etc. The dining room is very roomy and a few other guests were also there.

The host was an invaluable resource, as she recommended some amazing sights that weren't even in the guidebooks (Reynishverfi and Dyrholaey)! She was very enthusiastic and you could tell she loved her surroundings!

The guesthouse is easily accessible from the Ring Road and is located near numerous interesting sights. We didn't have dinner there, but Vik is close enough to drive there for the evening.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

We have just came back to Singapore. I was with my wife , spent a night at this GH. In short, I thought my own house was clean till I stayed there. You can really tell the owner took alot effort in house keeping. The double room with private toliet we had was nice, everything just fits in, the setting, the view and the serenity of the place, though it is a guest house, the owner was willing to invest in modern luxuries even my own house lacks. The lady owner was wonderful, telling us what we can do around the area and she even helped us to do a last minute, phone booking tour . My wife ended up chatting with her for hours, sharing our differences in cultures & such. Food was prepared for us by the owner and it was very nicely done, we had fish , even I am not a fish guy, the main course was delicious, only made possible with her fine skills. We are more then happy to part with our money on the quality food. Looking at the clean and pristine condition of the GH, We felt very bad that we have unknowingly wore our boots into the GH. Seeing other reviews, I do not believed that there are comments about the owners negative behavior. But I guessed a little courtesy goes a long way. Part of our self drive in iceland memories will goes to this GH and the owners. Glad we had a picture taken with her. If budget is a constrain, the owner also has cottages for stay.

• Stayed September 2012
Soignies, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this guesthouse for one night. This was the first overnight stay on a seven day tour. I have to say that this location has a spectacular view. From the house, you can see the glacier creeping down the mountain, and then other way the most beautiful sunset over the North Atlantic. This made for a wonderful dinner, which was also very good. I chose the lamb and it was done very well compared to other lamb meals I have tasted. My only drawback with the meal would be in regards to the price, which seems a bit high relative to other guest houses serving dinner of similar quality.
The hosts were very accommodating and helpful.
The room was nice and clean. I am not sure if "double room" implies a double bed in Iceland, but we had two single beds in our room, although a "Double" was booked. This was not a deal breaker for us by any means because everything else was great.
The breakfast in the A.M. was good. Everything I have become accustomed to seeing so far in Iceland. I would definitely consider returning to this location again in the future. This is my first experience with this "guesthouse" accommodations and I have not been disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Guesthouse Vellir? Share your experiences!