“Nice place!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 Vik B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Nice place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Nice place with free breakfast. Breakfast was good and Dinner was about 59,000ISK extra. We passed on that though. Nothing else to eat around the area... so be aware. We bought some noodle cups and the owner was nice enough to lend us the kettle. Tried to check in early around noon but no one was around. We were the only ones staying in the guest house that night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Brossard, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We were not sure what to expect when we arrived at Guesthouse Vellir, as the buldings seemed small and old (those were the farm buldings!). Our host came right out of her house to welcome us and we were very surprised to see how spacious and modern the place was. The room (like in a lot of other guesthouses) has IKEA-type of furniture. The bed was very comfortable. We had rented a room with a private bathroom, which was furnished by a state-of-the-art shower!

We even had the privilege to see the northern lights (aurora borealis) for the first time in our lives, and it was really something.

The breakfast was typical and up to par with other breakfasts we've had around Iceland: black bread, skyr, ham, cheese, etc. The dining room is very roomy and a few other guests were also there.

The host was an invaluable resource, as she recommended some amazing sights that weren't even in the guidebooks (Reynishverfi and Dyrholaey)! She was very enthusiastic and you could tell she loved her surroundings!

The guesthouse is easily accessible from the Ring Road and is located near numerous interesting sights. We didn't have dinner there, but Vik is close enough to drive there for the evening.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

We have just came back to Singapore. I was with my wife , spent a night at this GH. In short, I thought my own house was clean till I stayed there. You can really tell the owner took alot effort in house keeping. The double room with private toliet we had was nice, everything just fits in, the setting, the view and the serenity of the place, though it is a guest house, the owner was willing to invest in modern luxuries even my own house lacks. The lady owner was wonderful, telling us what we can do around the area and she even helped us to do a last minute, phone booking tour . My wife ended up chatting with her for hours, sharing our differences in cultures & such. Food was prepared for us by the owner and it was very nicely done, we had fish , even I am not a fish guy, the main course was delicious, only made possible with her fine skills. We are more then happy to part with our money on the quality food. Looking at the clean and pristine condition of the GH, We felt very bad that we have unknowingly wore our boots into the GH. Seeing other reviews, I do not believed that there are comments about the owners negative behavior. But I guessed a little courtesy goes a long way. Part of our self drive in iceland memories will goes to this GH and the owners. Glad we had a picture taken with her. If budget is a constrain, the owner also has cottages for stay.

• Stayed September 2012
Soignies, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this guesthouse for one night. This was the first overnight stay on a seven day tour. I have to say that this location has a spectacular view. From the house, you can see the glacier creeping down the mountain, and then other way the most beautiful sunset over the North Atlantic. This made for a wonderful dinner, which was also very good. I chose the lamb and it was done very well compared to other lamb meals I have tasted. My only drawback with the meal would be in regards to the price, which seems a bit high relative to other guest houses serving dinner of similar quality.
The hosts were very accommodating and helpful.
The room was nice and clean. I am not sure if "double room" implies a double bed in Iceland, but we had two single beds in our room, although a "Double" was booked. This was not a deal breaker for us by any means because everything else was great.
The breakfast in the A.M. was good. Everything I have become accustomed to seeing so far in Iceland. I would definitely consider returning to this location again in the future. This is my first experience with this "guesthouse" accommodations and I have not been disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Spent one night here due to the proximity to Vik. When we drove up to the hotel everything was locked with no owners in sight. Came back some hours later and called- no one picked up but the owner came by shortly and we were shown to our room. FYI you do need to take your shoes off before going inside as in most other places we stayed in so pack some slippers!

-the room was decent but cleaning job was spotty as there were dust bunnies everywhere
-view to the outside was nice but it rained when we were there
-private in-room Shower was nice and had enough hot water
-we had breakfast there but wished we didn't as it was extremely limited, probably the least favorite of all the places we stayed at during our 9 days. the owners stood in the room but we felt like we were being watched as they did not actually ask or offer us anything.

Would probably skip this place as there are other better options to stay at in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I spent 1 night in Guesthouse Vellir as a stopover on our way back to Keflavik. The Guesthouse owner was very friendly and helpful, and the rooms were comfortable and very clean. Some rooms had a shared bath, so be sure to book a "category 3" room if you want a private bath. I think the rooms were well insulated; we never heard any noise from the other rooms even though there were several families with small children staying that night.
Sadly, we weren't able to enjoy the beautiful surroundings and animals (sheep and horses) because of a HUGE rain storm. Wifi was free but a but spotty, but maybe this had something to do with the rain?
We ate dinner in the restaurant (lamb) and found it to be way below par compared to the rest of the somewhat expensive dinners we had in Iceland. I'd recommend driving to Vik and trying a restaurant there if you are wanting a nice dinner. We didn't eat breakfast, so I'm not sure what that was like in comparison.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stormy night at Guesthouse Vellir and would probably stay again if we were in the area.

Room Tip: The corner rooms have a beautiful view, but the curtains did not keep the sun out when we were tryin...